What are you listening to Escapists? (June 2016 Edition)

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It has been pointed out to me, that "What are you listening to Escapists", recently celebrated its 1st birthday. Thank you to everyone for posting all the great music. And now June is here. What are you listening to this month? Songs to inspire? Songs to remember? Songs to help forget? Let us know. Genre and Era are wide open.

To ease the load times for other users please use Spoiler [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.850242-The-Escapist-Users-Guide-to-Posting-Commands-and-How-to-do-Fancy-Code-Stuff] tags and limit responses to a top 10.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011

Well-rounded approximation of what I've recently been listening to.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None

The newest Death Grips album has started to grow on me after a rather lukewarm first listen. Still prefer Jenny Death over it, but I have yet to listen to The Money Store

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Which might be funny, considering I dont liek their previous releases

Technically still their whole backlog, but these 2 albums are their best imo

For the rest, it's pretty much what Winamp decides to play from my absurdly large playlist.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Neuromancer said:
The newest Death Grips album has started to grow on me after a rather lukewarm first listen. Still prefer Jenny Death over it, but I have yet to listen to The Money Store
In the interest of Death Grips, Bottomless Pit is the only album they've made that I've been able to stomach and really enjoy in any capacity. I keep getting told to try The Money Store since it seems to be the most accessible album outside of Bottomless Pit but I dunno. Those first few albums I listened to from them were just so off-putting.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
So far, only 90's cartoon theme songs. X-Men and Digimon that is. But the month is young.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
EPILEPSY WARNING: Video has a lot of very flashy, repetitive effects.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Still listening to way too much of Avantasia's Ghostlights album:

Also some extra stuff:

BiscuitWheels

Jan 10, 2009
I've been really into Krizz Kaliko the last couple months.

He does great party tunes but he has some really deep, sad tracks on all his albums as well. Dude is an amazing talent.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
I've been digging pretty deep into Area 11s' latest song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRMseXALwHM

Not much else though.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
The same song as last month, plus a couple of others this time. Excuse me using one spoiler, effort is hard at 5am whilst using a kindle.
Another song comes to mind now that I think about it, but I'll have to edit it in later.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009

Dear God I hope they release another album soon. Bottomless Pit was great, instantenous fun for me, but you can never have enough 'angry homeless man screams with his two pet white boys'.

In all seriousness, I would love to see them collab some more soon.

I've also been listening more to Part 1 of The Powers That B, and I'm already listening to Black Quarterback several times per day:

Outside of being a disgusting /mu/tant Death Grips fanboy, I've also been listening to some Holy Ghost!, Bjork's Vulnicura, Acid Rap as well as trying to get into Oneohtrix Point Never.

Of these, 'Okay' is my instant hit, I absolutely love it:

From Vulnicura, I probably love Stonemilker and History of Touches the most, although I still need to finish the album (I heard the Anohni feature is really good)

As for Oneohtrix Point never, it's been interesting, but as far as IDM goes, this is probably better than stuff I would classify as 'snob nonsense' like Autechre.

And Acid Rap is just a fun summer mixtape. Cocoa Butter Kisses is probably the best bit from the mixtape, but I also really dig Pusha Man.

Oh yeah, and before I forget, I gave Nonagon Infinity a quick listen when I had the time on holiday. It's fun, and it makes me want to give more time to Australian performers since they seem to have the edge(according to the internet music community) on pop rock and psych rock.

Sleepy Sol said:
Neuromancer said:
In the interest of Death Grips, Bottomless Pit is the only album they've made that I've been able to stomach and really enjoy in any capacity. I keep getting told to try The Money Store since it seems to be the most accessible album outside of Bottomless Pit but I dunno. Those first few albums I listened to from them were just so off-putting.
Well, that is kind of the point, since their whole image and act is about being as abrasive as possible. If you are trying to get into them, The Money Store is the best entry point most of the time, due to instant bangers like I've Seen Footage, The Fever and (arguably) Hacker. Although this may seem like a strange point to make, for a lot of people, Death Grips doesn't 'click' until multiple listens and until they read the lyrics.

If you are looking for something accessible outside of their first few releases, try Jenny Death. A lot of people like that album due to its familiarity (with the addition of guitars and punk sensibilities) and also because songs like On GP are the most cohesive they've ever been (in contrast, Exmilitary and No Love Deep Web are some of their most abrasive and dark releases).

Try to give this a listen:

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011

I like quite a lot of pop songs, I'm really not that fussy when it comes to music. But recently I prefer things that sound more positive. My parents are very into metal so it's all I heard growing up, and I still like it fine, but recently I've kinda gone off the 'growly dude' style of music. I like things that sound happier.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I have been organizing my music collection. As a result, I have been listening to a lot of "Weird Al" Yankovic.

Since, I haven't done this for a while. Let me add couple of songs that I liked from earlier this year. The next one is from the movie Anomalisa. It's a really charming version of the classic 80's song.

I discovered this blues guitarist a few months ago. He has recently gone through a serious health crisis. His latest songs reflect the personal struggles that he as dealt with.

I just recently bought a live album from a really catchy band, The Dollyrots. This song never fail in cheering me up.