What are you nerds reading? :D

timeformime

New member
Jul 27, 2012
60
0
0
Very cool to see a book thread, you are right that they don't get discussed enough.

The original Bond books are all free for Kindle Unlimited right now, so I decided to take a crack at them - I'm right in the middle of Ian Fleming's From Russia With Love. It's much better overall than Casino Royale, which is what I started with, and it isn't the typical Bond formula. The first third just follows Bond's Russian nemesis (I'm guessing), a Soviet executioner who just loves killing people, which is kind of a departure from the typical arc of Bond minding his own business --> problem over there with some crazy evil genius --> Bond saves the day and seduces a few ladies on the way. FRWL has a great setup, and makes me want to know what's about to go down.

After this, I'm going to see the movie, and then I'm going to get through more of a massive Ray Bradbury omnibus that's sitting on my shelf only about a third of the way read.

Also, to you guys who read War and Peace, I finished it a few months ago also, and wow, definitely worth reading. It kind of struck me while reading it that, because it follows different characters and switches points of view every 5-20 pages, it's basically paced like a period cable show in book form - if HBO did it right, it would be a hell of a show.
 

Caostotale

New member
Mar 15, 2010
122
0
0
Out of many Brunner novels from my recent used-book windfall, I decided to start with this story, the first in his 'Zarathustra Trilogy'. I'd be lying if I claimed that the cover art didn't bias my choice.

 

MrFalconfly

New member
Sep 5, 2011
913
0
0
The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (finally got around to give it a look), and I just finished A Brief history of Time by Stephen Hawking (great read, but can get a bit abstract when he touches on the subject of "Imaginary Time")
 

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
1,840
0
0
Not reading anything right now after spending the first three months of this year only being able to read, got through 100 or so books.
 

Mimic

New member
Jul 22, 2014
108
0
0
timeformime said:
Also, to you guys who read War and Peace, I finished it a few months ago also, and wow, definitely worth reading. It kind of struck me while reading it that, because it follows different characters and switches points of view every 5-20 pages, it's basically paced like a period cable show in book form - if HBO did it right, it would be a hell of a show.
Yes I thought it has a interesting miture of soirees and high society, vicious warfare, and historical facts and theory. I borowed a copy of the books which were published in the 70s and the cover is from a BBC TV series of the book. Not sure how good it is just that it has Anthony Hopkins in it. I agree that it would be awesome to get a new series though.
 

Frozengale

New member
Sep 9, 2009
761
0
0
Dragon Age: The Masked Empire

I won't be able to play Dragon Age: Inquisition for a few years due to certain situations that will involve a lot of traveling and no time for games. So I figured I'd get my fix by reading the new book. Normally I don't go for books based on Video Games, but this one is all about Orlais, and I've always thought Orlais was one of the most interesting parts about the Dragon Age Universe, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Only a few chapters in so far, but I'm enjoying it.
 

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
807
0
0
I just started re-reading Pet Sematary, the scariest book I've ever read in my life. Seeing as I've been trying to find a good horror movie for many months now (and only finding two that delightfully disturbed me), it's time to a work of art that's completely brilliant.
 

Johnny Impact

New member
Aug 6, 2008
1,528
0
0
Vault101 said:
Johnny Impact said:
Physics of the Impossible, by Michio Kaku. A nerd book if ever there was one.
didn't that guy have a discovery chanel show? and the conclusion was a light saber wuld basically have to be a kind of plasma sword?
Kaku is a celebrity scientist who has appeared on pretty much every show about space. Whether he ever had his own show I don't know.

And yes, he concluded that a lightsaber would have to be made of energized gas contained in a tubular magnetic field. Or something like that. Not worth the effort it would take. Probably better to use hyperalloy or carbon nanotubes, something with ridiculous strength that could hold a molecular edge.
 

Suhi89

New member
Oct 9, 2013
109
0
0
I've just started reading Ulysses. It's very long so I imagine I'll be with it for some time. I recently finished reading Kane and Abel, which I found much more enjoyable than I expected.
 

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
5,134
0
0
I mostly read works of fiction, particularly science-fiction and science-fantasy; sometimes I do get tired of it, though, which is when I turn to fantasy and humorous stuff.

Right now I'm reading Graham McNeill's "Vengeful Spirit", the 29th major entry of the ongoing Horus Heresy series (Warhammer 40k). Not bad so far, but still lacking that certain something that marks McNeill's usual greatness.

I feel a short break from my beloved grimdark literature might be up soon, though. I still have Yahtzee's second novel, "Jam", sitting on my shelf somewhere, waiting to be read. As good a time for it as any, I guess.
 

Spade Lead

New member
Nov 9, 2009
1,042
0
0
Wow, I am reading a book every three or four days. Then again, as a live-in care provider, I am sure I have a lot more free time than people who have to commute to and from their day jobs. Currently I am into book 6 of the Bolo series by Keith Laumer. I have the entire series in eBook format, and am reading it from beginning to end for the first time ever.

This may be my favorite Sci-fi series of all time.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/323/e/4/bolo___we_are_already_in_hell_by_shimmering_sword-d336pwn.jpg
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,847
0
0
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I just started re-reading Pet Sematary, the scariest book I've ever read in my life. Seeing as I've been trying to find a good horror movie for many months now (and only finding two that delightfully disturbed me), it's time to a work of art that's completely brilliant.
seen the movie?

I've never found King "scary" but Pet semtary and its musings on the nature of death is....disconcerting to say the least

my favourite book of his is Misery
 

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
807
0
0
Vault101 said:
seen the movie?

I've never found King "scary" but Pet semtary and its musings on the nature of death is....disconcerting to say the least

my favourite book of his is Misery
Yeah, I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was pretty boring. I decided to give it another chance last year to see if my opinion would change and it didn't -- I turned it off with about 15 minutes left because I couldn't take any more. There were other movies in my queue that I really wanted to see.

I've never read Misery though! Or The Stand. Those might be the next things I read if I can finish up Pet Sematary. ADHD has always made reading kind of tough, and yet I was an editor for 6.5 years. Go figure! :D

EDIT - have you ever read It? That's probably my favorite book of all time, ever since I read it in 6th grade.
 

Storm Dragon

New member
Nov 29, 2011
477
0
0
I've recently gotten into a book series called "The Vorkosigan Saga" by Lois McMaster Bujold, which caught my interest because the main character, Miles Vorkosigan, sounded a lot like Tyrion Lannister IN SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE!

So far, I have not been disappointed.
 

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
14,056
992
118
Ten Foot Bunny said:
Yeah, I saw the movie when it first came out and thought it was pretty boring. I decided to give it another chance last year to see if my opinion would change and it didn't -- I turned it off with about 15 minutes left because I couldn't take any more. There were other movies in my queue that I really wanted to see.

I've never read Misery though! Or The Stand. Those might be the next things I read if I can finish up Pet Sematary. ADHD has always made reading kind of tough, and yet I was an editor for 6.5 years. Go figure! :D

EDIT - have you ever read It? That's probably my favorite book of all time, ever since I read it in 6th grade.
I'm going to jump into this conversation (my thread my rules!!!)


Anyway...

I didn't read Misery (or Pet Cemetery....or IT) either but I would strongly recommend The Stand. I read the "Director's Cut" (or whatever you would call it for books) and I thought it was excellent. However, as I stated earlier in the thread, I thought the ending was really kind of bad...however, you may think differently and even if you agree, the book is well worth the read. From what I've been told, the "Director's Cut" has a lot more traveling in it, which I really liked.

My favorite King book though is still 11/22/63. A fictional story about a man who goes back in time a year before JFK's murder (hence the title) and decides to stick around for the full year to try to stop it. A fascinating read that is well worth checking out.
 

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
18,847
0
0
Ten Foot Bunny said:
I've never read Misery though! Or The Stand. Those might be the next things I read if I can finish up Pet Sematary. ADHD has always made reading kind of tough, and yet I was an editor for 6.5 years. Go figure! :D

EDIT - have you ever read It? That's probably my favorite book of all time, ever since I read it in 6th grade.
Misery, the stand or pet semetary?

never read the stand, don't remember much of pet sem (though I did read it) I just rember being rather unsettled by it

Misery was one of my all time favourite books, so much I've read It multiple times I read it when I was pretty young and didn't think books actually "go there" I definitely like King better when he's not being supernatural. I think that's also what got me reading more at that age (more King mostly...stick to what you like) I haven't really seen another Author which such a distinctive style that resonated to strongly with me, so much so that it just works even when he's at his most ridiculous (hence why most of his stuff doesn't translate well to screen)...I think either people Love King or they can't stand him

my other favourite is actually one of his lesser known books "Delores Claiborne" the story of a no nonsense house keeper, I really liked it...even enough to rival Misery

another funny thing was I flicked through TV once and caught a thing on late night...it had Kathy Bates in it....they got talking and I heard some character names, and realised HOLY SHIT this is an adaptation of that book I like! its uncanny when that happens....Kathy Bates was definitely a good casting choice in that regard

tippy2k2 said:
My favorite King book though is still 11/22/63. A fictional story about a man who goes back in time a year before JFK's murder (hence the title) and decides to stick around for the full year to try to stop it. A fascinating read that is well worth checking out.
I haven't read all of kings work but I've read quite a bit and I think I've just about had all the King one person can handle
 

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
4,865
0
0
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Currently reading:

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
I have that book sitting by my bed and am borrowing it from my best friend. I've been trying to read it for a few months now but I can only do a few pages at a time.

OT: I forgot to mention the other book I'm reading right now which is Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis

Because Sophie's Choice is making me want to hurt something. So I've temporarily put it down and started reading that though at least it's stopped reading like erotica with smatterings of the holocaust written in.....Finally.
 

Caostotale

New member
Mar 15, 2010
122
0
0
Ten Foot Bunny said:
EDIT - have you ever read It? That's probably my favorite book of all time, ever since I read it in 6th grade.
It was an excellent book and one that I'm really looking forward to rereading someday.

He's one of my favorite storytellers, but I don't really have a favorite book. One that really stands out in my memory is Insomnia, the first of his novels that I ever read (the hardcover was being sold on remainder when I was in 7th or 8th grade and the minimal red/white cover design piqued my interest) and a great way to be dumped head-first into his odd and compelling imagination.

Not long after that, I remember buying Desperation and The Regulators when they were released on the same day, the first under his name and the second under the Richard Bachman pseudonym. I don't remember them too well now, but remember both being feverishly readable. If I recall, the Bachman volume was true to that pseudonym's style and erred on the dismal side.
 

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
807
0
0
tippy2k2 said:
I didn't read Misery (or Pet Cemetery....or IT) either but I would strongly recommend The Stand. I read the "Director's Cut" (or whatever you would call it for books) and I thought it was excellent. However, as I stated earlier in the thread, I thought the ending was really kind of bad...however, you may think differently and even if you agree, the book is well worth the read. From what I've been told, the "Director's Cut" has a lot more traveling in it, which I really liked.

My favorite King book though is still 11/22/63. A fictional story about a man who goes back in time a year before JFK's murder (hence the title) and decides to stick around for the full year to try to stop it. A fascinating read that is well worth checking out.
I actually own that longer version of The Stand, but just haven't read it. ;) Never heard of the other one either so I'll have to track that down. Thanks for the recommendation!

Vault101 said:
Ten Foot Bunny said:
EDIT - have you ever read It? That's probably my favorite book of all time, ever since I read it in 6th grade.
Misery, the stand or pet semetary?
Oh, I'm talking about King's book, It. It's his most epic piece of writing (IMO, anyway). I've read it three times, which is more than I've read any other book.

I definitely like King better when he's not being supernatural. I think that's also what got me reading more at that age (more King mostly...stick to what you like) I haven't really seen another Author which such a distinctive style that resonated to strongly with me, so much so that it just works even when he's at his most ridiculous (hence why most of his stuff doesn't translate well to screen)...I think either people Love King or they can't stand him
SO very true. Except for The Shining, I've never liked any screen adaptations of any of his books. And even with The Shining, King himself said that it was a good Stanley Kubrick movie, but it wasn't HIS book. If you read The Shining, you can see how many liberties Kubrick took with the story, almost to the point where a good 50% of the movie had nothing but King's characters and that was all. Not to mention how the endings are TOTALLY different. I've never been able to wrap my brain around Kubrick's final scene.

another funny thing was I flicked through TV once and caught a thing on late night...it had Kathy Bates in it....they got talking and I heard some character names, and realised HOLY SHIT this is an adaptation of that book I like! its uncanny when that happens....Kathy Bates was definitely a good casting choice in that regard
Aw shit! I forgot all about that movie, which I really did enjoy. Allow me to retract what I said above about none of his books making for good movies. ;) I'm too lazy to go back and re-type it. And I totally agree with your comment about Kathy Bates. Everything about her was perfect for the role.

EDIT - OMG, I forgot about the first Creepshow movie!!! That was also Stephen King and it's one of the best horror movies ever made. King is actually the main character in one of the segments. ;) He says one of my favorite movie quotes ever: "Eaugh! Meteor shit!"