What are you top 10 Best games of this gen?

B-cell

Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Hello friends,

So this gen is coming to end almost. what games are so far best 10 games we played this gen?

heres mine

1. Doom Eternal
  2. Black Mesa
  3. Doom 2016
  4. Hitman (season 1)
  5. Resident Evil 7
  6. Titanfall 2
  7. Metro Exodus
  8. Prey
  9. Shadow warrior 2013
  10. Star wars Jedi fallen order

Last edited:

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
How does one separate RTS's by generation, exactly?

Eh, never mind... top seven from me, mostly because anything beyond that sort of melds into a bit of a haze, despite how little gaming I did this generation:

7 - Total War: Three Kingdoms
6 - Horizon: Zero Dawn
5 - Shadow of Mordor
4 - Total War: Attila
3 - Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
2 - Dishonored 2
1 - Total War: Warhammer 2

Honorable mention: Gris ('cos it's an indie 2D platformer with 'pretentions')

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You seem to have accidentally put a non-shooter as your #10, @B-cell . Was that in error?

Anywho, for me;

1. Bloodborne
2. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Nioh
5. Hollow Knight
6. Super Mario Odyssey
7. Dark Souls 3
8. Pokemon Sun/ Moon
9. Spiderman PS4
10. Luigi's Mansion 3

(I've not included remasters/ rereleases like FFXII: Zodiac Age, Dark Souls Remastered, Majora's Mask 3D or Ni No Kuni Remastered. Not sure where they'd go but pretty high if taken as standalone games).

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Nier Automata
Persona 5 R
Dragon Quest XI
Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator 2
Sekiro
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 3
Granblue Fantasy Versus
God of War 4
FFVIIR
Utawarerumono 2 (both mask of deception and mask of truth are basically one game split in 2, if you have to be pedantic then mask of truth I guess)

Those are prolly my top 10 but I can't for the life of me put anything over anything else haha. I love them all infinitely.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Listicles!

B-Cell!

Videogames!

I remember these things!

before-quarantine things!

Alright, I'll indulge in this sordid role play you foul humans demand of each other.

1. Spiderman
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
3. Tales from the borderlands
4. Transistor
5. Bloodborne
6. Control
7. Odyssey: A.C.
8. God of war
9. SOMA
10. Pyre

There. Haven't managed to Nintendo this gen. Sometime maybe. Only got the one platform. Blasted peasantry.

Reactions: Zetatrain

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
I'm going to define the generation as beginning in 2011. So in that case:

10) Gears of War 4

9) Resident Evil 3 (remake)

8) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare

7) Halo 5: Guardians

6) The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

5) Resident Evil 2 (remake)

4) Doom Eternal

3) Gears 5

2) Heroes of the Storm

1) Diablo III

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
1) Bloodborne
2) Dark Souls 3
3) Sekiro
4) Nioh 2
5) RE2 Remake
6) Persona 5 Royal
7) FF7 Remake
8) The Witcher 3
9) Resident Evil 7
10) Alien Isolation

All in all this gen was crazy good. Espescially Japanese developers made a strong comeback on hardware that isn't handheld.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
  1. Undertale
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Hollow Knight
  4. Shadowrun Dragonfall/Hong Kong
  5. Crosscode
  6. Halflife Alyx
  7. Bloodstained Ritual of the night
  8. Freedom Planet
  9. Celeste
  10. Nier Automita

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Country
US
1. Bloodborne
As much as Sekiro was a very well-made game, I feel the playstyle and weapon variety in Bloodborne wins here.

2. Horizon Zero Dawn
Amazing environment, weapons, mech-creatures, and characters. What more needs to be said?

3. Witcher 3
Hands down the best dark fantasy RPG I've ever played since Dragon Age Origins

4. NIer Automata
Game with philosophical meanings? count me in!

5. Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Best Metroidvania of this gen. Tear-jerking music, locations, story, and characters

6. Marvel's Spiderman
As an open-world game, it really isn't anything too new. But it's also the best spiderman game in ages.

7. Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order
I'd consider this to be a easy mode Sekiro that one game journalist asked for. I like it as a star wars game, but I feel everything else fell short

8. Fallout 4
I must say, I did not see Shaun plot twist coming. Solid gunplay and crafting, but it had weaker RPG elements compared to last game

9. Batman Arkham Knight
The city of Gotham looks breathtaking and the smooth combat is even better. Only if the game didn't game the villain identity reveal so obvious and wasn't to reliant on Batmobile

10. Monster Hunter World
I really like what they are trying to do here. Crafting different tools and making preparations for each monster, and using different strategies for each of them as well. And the process of tracking the monster down and then hunting them is pretty fun. All the environment looks beautiful as well. However, I don't like just how difficult the monster can get sometimes. Sometimes it forces you to have people join you in a quest, and if you aren't friends with them, good luck trying to work together.

Last edited:

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
1) Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2) God of War '18
3) Resident Evil 2 Remake
4) Horizen Zero Dawn
5) Spider-Man PS4
6) Uncharted; The Lost Legacy
7) The Witcher 3
8) Hollow Knight
9) Control
10) Fire Emblem: Three Houses

And this is just a fraction of the games I liked, so yeah, a pretty damn good generation indeed. Well.. you know, as long as you avoided anything from EA or Ubisoft.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
In no particular order:

Bloodstained: Ritual of The Night
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Resident Evil 7
Vampyr
Until Dawn
The Witcher 3
Sonic Mania
Persona 5
Kingdom Come Deliverance
Horizon Zero Dawn

Honourable mentions to FF7 Remake, Thronebreaker, Hellblade, God of War, Hollow Knight, Spiderman, Batman Arkham Knight and Detroit Become Human.

I'd throw in Grim Fandango Remastered and Wonderboy the Dragon's Trap if we are doing remasters of old games.

Last edited:

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
  1. Undertale
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. Hollow Knight
  4. Shadowrun Dragonfall/Hong Kong
  5. Crosscode
  6. Halflife Alyx
  7. Bloodstained Ritual of the night
  8. Freedom Planet
  9. Celeste
  10. Nier Automita
Are Undertale and Freedom Planet this gen? They've been around ages. They were just ported over to the PS4. I thought Shovel Knight was last gen as well

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Are Undertale and Freedom Planet this gen? They've been around ages. They were just ported over to the PS4. I thought Shovel Knight was last gen as well
Undertale came out in 2015 and Freedom Planet came out in 2014. Considering that the OP lists Shadow Warrior 2013, I'm going to say yes.

Martintox

Mister Disorder
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
10. OneShot (the freeware version) - you guide a cat holding a giant lightbulb. Pretty much Undertale with better art, characters, lore, and music; it's also much less obnoxiously self-aware when it breaks the fourth wall. The 2016 rerelease is very good as well, but I prefer the concise nature of the freeware version.
9. Blasphemous - 2D Dark Souls with Christian elements. Not as difficult as you'd expect (which is preferable to the direction FromSoft games have taken lately), but the presentation is so stunning it could be a walking simulator for all I care.
8. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - open world stealth with controls that are out of this fucking world. An extremely fun game with a lot of memorable moments in spite of its flagrantly incomplete nature and disappointing lack of cutscenes.
7. Nuclear Throne - batshit insane post-apocalyptic roguelite. You die fast, you get back in the game fast. Highly addictive.
6. DUSK - if you told me this was a long-lost Quake sequel, I wouldn't bat an eye. Captures the "cosmic horror shooter" vibe to a T. Very fast, quite difficult.
5. Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator 2 - a fighting game where every single character is interesting in terms of lore or gameplay, something I can not say to contemporary titles such as Blazblue. A lot of personality in just about every facet of the presentation. A lot of fun, even in single player.
4. Monolith - excellent mix of spaceship shmup and rogue-lite. Already very engrossing on release, but it's gotten multiple updates as well as a DLC that adds even more content.
3. LISA: The Painful - post-apocalyptic existential drama with a hilarious cast. Inexplicably manages to make turn-based RPG combat fun. If OneShot is the thinking man's Undertale, this (along with OFF, but that's the previous gen) is the enlightened scholar's Undertale.
2. Bubsy 3D Remake - the press completely overlooked this one, so I understand people might not have known, but it was a very pleasant surprise and genuinely one of the best platformers I've seen in a long time, with a vibrant visual style.
1. Tales of Berseria - the second best action RPG of the 2010s (behind Dark Souls) and far ahead of any other ARPG I've played from that decade. Strong combat, but an amazing world and a main party so endearing I go through every extra bit of dialogue they have together whenever I play it again. Basically the second half of Berserk if it was actually good.

I'm assuming the eighth gen started on the 18th of November 2012, i.e. the release of the Wii U. If we took the entire 2010s, Dark Souls would be #1.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chimpzy

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I dislike ranking things. I bores me. So, in no particular order, 10 games from this gen I really liked, very pleasantly surprised me, or simply scratched an itch that was in good need of a thorough scratching for a long time:
  • Stardew Valley
  • Hollow Knight
  • Monster Hunter World
  • Dishonored 2
  • Crosscode
  • Superhot
  • Divinity: Original Sin 2
  • Dusk
  • Sonia Mania
  • The Witcher 3
@Martintox nice to see more Dusk. Out of all the games I've played that claim they're a revival of the old school fps, Dusk is imo the only one that actually truly does it.

Reactions: Martintox

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
In no particular order...

-Horizon Zero Dawn
-Dishonored 2
-The Last Guardian
-Shadow Tactics
-Disco Elysium
-Divinity Original Sin 2
-Baba is You
-Monster Hunter World
-Battleborn
-Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
I dislike ranking things. I bores me. So, in no particular order, 10 games from this gen I really liked, very pleasantly surprised me, or simply scratched an itch that was in good need of a thorough scratching for a long time:
What he said.

I'm going to define the generation as beginning in 2011.
Also what he said.

Also it's probably just the first 10 really good games I thought of first. "Really good" is based on the fondest memories I feel for these games.
Look I'm not a big list guy.

- Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Pathologic 2
- Total War: Warhammer (1 and 2 since they're kind of a package in many ways)
- Hitman (Season 1 and 2 for the same reason)
- Yakuza 0
- Dark Souls 1
- Resident Evil 2 Remake
- Disco Elysium
- Invisible Inc.
- Warhammer: Vermintide 2

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
1. Bloodborne
2. the Witcher 3
3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake
4. Horizon Zero Dawn
5. Resident Evil 2 remake
6. Persona 5
7. Spider-Man 2018
8. God of War 4
9. Spec Ops: The Line
10. Nier automata

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I hate these threads. My backlog is already so big and now I'm being reminded of how many more good games there are to play!
- Total War: Warhammer (1 and 2 since they're kind of a package in many ways)
1 - Total War: Warhammer 2
Hmm, I really liked Medieval II: Total War, and making it fantasy sounds even better. Maybe I'll have to look into this if I ever get a good computer.

10. OneShot (the freeware version) - you guide a cat holding a giant lightbulb. Pretty much Undertale with better art, characters, lore, and music; it's also much less obnoxiously self-aware when it breaks the fourth wall. The 2016 rerelease is very good as well, but I prefer the concise nature of the freeware version.

3. LISA: The Painful - post-apocalyptic existential drama with a hilarious cast. Inexplicably manages to make turn-based RPG combat fun. If OneShot is the thinking man's Undertale, this (along with OFF, but that's the previous gen) is the enlightened scholar's Undertale.
2. Bubsy 3D Remake - the press completely overlooked this one, so I understand people might not have known, but it was a very pleasant surprise and genuinely one of the best platformers I've seen in a long time, with a vibrant visual style.
I've never heard of OneShot. I'll definitely look into that at some point.

I agree That LISA is good, but I don't think I'd really say it's any more sophisticated than Undertale. Also the ending is a little bit lousy upon a second playthrough.

Bubsy 3D? Really?? Are you being serious with this one, or are you subtly recommending Yooka-Laylee? I can't tell.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Hmm, I really liked Medieval II: Total War, and making it fantasy sounds even better. Maybe I'll have to look into this if I ever get a good computer.
Buyer beware: to get all the content for Total War: Warhammer II (i.e. Mortal Empires, the entire world map), you need both games WH1 & WH2. It's well worth it tho.

Anyway, disclaimer aside, if you liked M2, did you ever try the Call of Warhammer: Beginning of the End Times mod? It really drove the old engine to its limits but it made for a good game. With the Warscape engine introduced with Empire the gameplay is very different between M2 and WH1/2, but it applies the TT mechanics better (read: magic and monsters) in many ways, even if they so could applied the jankier stuff for multiplayer (misfires - which doesn't feature at all/miscasts - takes an RNG based chunk of damage).