what are you video game pet peeves?

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I could dabble into the specifics but generally my biggest problem with games is that they are all just too fucking easy. I wish the developers would remember people like me when they make difficulty settings rather than having a scale of no challenge-barely a challenge and pretending it's easy-hard. It's not ever going to reach anything approaching hard so stop pretending like it is. 10/10 to squaresoft for rarely doing this and 0/10 to pretty much everyone else.

Another hate related to difficulty is games that don't allow you to play the hardest setting first playthrough. The only time a game is actually hard is on the first playthrough so it makes no sense to have a harder setting to unlock that ends up taking half the time of the original. 8-16 hours on hard seems fair enough, 6-8 hours on the hardest 'reward' difficulty seems insulting and ultimately pointless.

Some games try to hide how short they are by having unskipable cut-scenes to flesh the game length out (points the finger directly at Max Payne 3) and others let you skip everything and take less than 6 hours (points the finger at prince of persia).

If it wasn't for achievements i would barely get a days gameplay out of the majority of titles i have played and that is disgraceful when games costs as much as they do. Maybe that is one of the reasons i only rent games nowadays rather than rushing out to buy them...

Austin Howe

Dec 5, 2010
At this point it's mainly boiled down to QTEs. They just take you out of the experience. My hand is not in an optimal position to mash L2.

The other one is more an industry thing, and that's games that are trying to cater to different audiences than the series' core audience, but also doing it badly. This mainly applies to Final Fantasy XIII. It tries, in the worst possible way, to make the game be more like an action game, except it did that by making everything basically a timing puzzle and putting much ado about nothing on the screen than by, say, creating combat that actually takes place more in real time. Instead of putting you more in the thick of the action, it takes you out of it even more than previous turn-based systems. If nothing else, it's like, jesus, if you wanted to make an action-RPG, why didn't you follow the blueprint of your own successful action-RPG series Kingdom Hearts and just add a tiny bit more real-time party management to make it not feel so dumb? That wouldn't've been that hard.

Turn-based combat may alienate JRPG fans, but they forgot that most of what turns people off of JRPGs (at least in my experience) is the anime sensibilities. Now frankly, I love that shit, and I think it's produced more or less some of the finest games ever written, but really, if ya wanna bring in non-JRPG people, stop trying to sell your games with female ballads and pretty colors. If you're gonna sell out and make a braindead action game, at least go balls deep and actually make a braindead action game and give people the aesthetic they want out of that.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
QTEs. Dark Souls doesn't have a win button combo to kill its bosses, and neither should you.

Also, like I've said at least a a hundred times CLIMBING.

Unless its Assassins Creed/PoP, or Shadow of the Colossus, I do not want 20-40% of every level to involve my character magically stowing all their crap to scale walls, shimmy along ledges, and generally act like the game world is ripped out of the 3rd Stage of Ninja Warrior.

I'm pretty sure Dante (DMC) never had to do that shit, but Kratos, Dante (Inferno), Gabriel Belmont, etc. just can't seem to go 2 levels without a long stretch of rockclimbing.

I would prefer floating platforms and jumping puzzles because they would at least involve some kind of skill/action instead of climbing slowly up, getting hassled by enemies, leaping implausibly horizontally like 10 feet, and so on.

Its like these developers not only can't help but steal each other's boring level padding mechanic, but they actually think its fun. Maybe they think its like Mario World where you are climbing along the chainlink fences punching koopas. That was kinda fun, but you know what? He only did that for a few minutes in a few levels.

It wasn't a key game play mechanic. It would be like if Megan Man 2 had a ladder maze in every other level instead of just Crash Man's stage.

That would have sucked. So knock it off with the climbing BS.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
imagremlin said:
Bosses with no visible health bars
if they have to do that atleast have a clear representation that you're doing damage.
OT: knockdown, roots, stuns, things that take away control from me, its one of the things that makes it almost impossible for me to like shadow of the collosus when you're either waiting for longs stretches of time for the big basterds to calm down for a second or knock your ass down and you are unable to move for a couple of seconds, atleast make me able to do something to speed up the recovery time.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
it looks like I have already contributed to this thread. However NPCs blocking off areas untill you have beaten the boss has been annoying me in Pokemon Black 2

KissmahArceus

Mar 1, 2011
Unskippable cut scenes, cut scenes I'm forced to watch when replaying a check point, fetch quests ( not all just the dullest ones), multiplayer achievements

Rylee Fox

Queen of Light
Aug 3, 2011
When you only have one controllable character and you are unable to move. It REALLY slows down the game when the rest of your party is AI controlled because they are always idiots and don't do much of anything. It's even worse when the enemies are all dead and you still can't move due to sleep/paralyze or whatever.

Being unable to do obvious things like jump. There is a log in the path and you can't get over it. Why not? Just climb over it or jump over it! Stupid characters, I really hate them.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
Luckily I happen to be playing Kingdom of Amalur at the moment, which is basically an itemised list of everything I hate in games:

-Enemies that don't react to being hit and will pummel you into the ground halfway through your attack.
-The garment-rendingly frustrating juggle-attacks, where groups of enemies all attack one after another and, unless you block or dodge the initial strike, you just have to take it like a *****.
-Enemies that can change the trajectory of their attack at any point even if it would be physically impossible (such as when a giant hammer is arcing downwards at 80mph and instantly moves ninety degrees to where you're standing.
-Combos that root your character to one spot leaving you completely vulnerable even when it would be realistically possible to perform a dodge.
-Enemies that appear out of nowhere and can attack from offscreen making it impossible to create a defence without some form of clairvoyance (Uncharted sweeps the award for this one, actually.)
-Games that are described as epic but are really just big (the difference being substance.)

That's about it, the rest of my current problems are specific to Kingdoms.