DELETED

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Easy, The Longest Journey. Which is kinda like that other game everyone in this topic is talking about, Journey, only longer and not at all the same.

Seriously though TLJ is one of the best adventure games ever made and has one of the best stories in the entire gaming genre. If you consider yourself a fan of strong gaming narrative and you haven't played this game, you're missing out.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
I am definitely going with Tetris.

I'm a pro at the game and it is a nice little distraction from the more combat oriented games that we have all become accustomed to playing. Sometimes I just want to use my wit, organization skills, and quick reflexes to overcome some serious falling blocks while a catchy tune plays in the background.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Civilization 5. Yes, there is combat between your units, and enemies (Barbarians, and Civs/City States which you are at war with), but it's far from the primary focus of the game. Starting out with just one city, you build up your empire into one which will win the game (Either through Science, Culture, Mone- Diplomacy, or Conquest) above all other civilizations, and stand the test of time! Wars and combat are in included, but they're not mandatory. In fact, I hardly ever go to war in my games of Civ 5, and most of the time when I do it's a defensive war.

Seriously, I have to burn down all of Ghandi's cities, it's self defense. ;)

DeeWiz

Aug 25, 2010
Grim Fandango and all the other old LucasArts Adventure games.

Racing games like Dirt and NFS:Shift

You Don't Know Jack - if you haven't played this there is a web version https://apps.facebook.com/youdontknowjackgame

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Well there's the Portal games... Hexic... um... Tetris? That's about it really. I don't play a lot of non-combat games.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Zhukov said:
+1 to the Portal games, Amnesia and Journey. All utterly fantastic games.

- To the Moon. Lovely game.

- The Longest Journey and, to a somewhat lesser extent, its sequel Dreamfall.

Aaaaand that's basically all I can think of. It is a bit sad that basically every other game I love is based on murderizing anything and anybody that looks at you funny.
TWD, man.
I mean, yeah there's fighting and killing and death, but it's not the whole "organic blood 'em up hack'n'slash SSS headshot" traditional combat.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
does Catherine count? You don't kill people ( unless you enjoy murdering sheep which you don't have to do ). Plenty of things to kill you though :/.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Every single game in Wadjet Eye's catalogue. Except Gemini Rue, which does contain three cover-based shooting segments. But three moments of violence in an 8-10 hour game is pretty reasonable.

There's also Broken Sword, Gabriel Knight, The Longest Journey... well, let's just say I really like adventure games and leave it at that.

I'm into visual novels, though some of them couldn't really be called 'games.' Then there's stuff like To The Moon or Actual Sunlight, but they're more like interactive stories. I suppose for the purpose of this discussion they're close enough to games. Hell, To The Moon has some rudimentary puzzles, at least!

There's also Uplink: Hacker Elite, which is a fantastic hacker sim. Very tense and incredibly fun.

Then there are all the Tycoon games; Rollercoaster Tycoon, Game Dev Tycoon (and Game Dev Story) and stuff like that. Theme Hospital and the like are great as well. Anyone know if Prison Architect is any good? There also appears to be a series of "Prison Tycoon" games.

I also like playing CRPGs none-violently when it's possible. Games like Planescape: Torment, Arcanum and the original Fallout are great for this.

Surgeon Simulator doesn't have combat =D Even if it is hilariously bloody.

NiGHTS is pretty incredible.

I really like racing games, and very few none-kart racers could be said to have "combat."

And there's puzzle games like Columns, Peggle, Bust-a-Move, Tetris... I don't mind rhythm games, either...

Come to think of it, a pretty substantial portion of my collection is none-violent. YAY FOR ME!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Zhukov said:
+1 to the Portal games, Amnesia and Journey. All utterly fantastic games.

- To the Moon. Lovely game.

- The Longest Journey and, to a somewhat lesser extent, its sequel Dreamfall.

Aaaaand that's basically all I can think of. It is a bit sad that basically every other game I love is based on murderizing anything and anybody that looks at you funny.
TWD, man.
I mean, yeah there's fighting and killing and death, but it's not the whole "organic blood 'em up hack'n'slash SSS headshot" traditional combat.
I thought about that one, but I don't think it can really count.

Granted, it doesn't have much in the way of actual combat mechanics. The closest it comes is that one part in Chapter 3 we're you're shooting at bandits.

However, there's violence all over the place and the player inflicts plenty of it. Even if it's not the focus in the same way as a shooter, hack-and-slasher, fighter, RPG etc, it's still most definitely there.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Pac-Man
Chime
Portal
Catherine
Heavy Rain
Need for Speed
L.A. Noire (if that counts)
Ace Attorney
Professor Layton
Mario Kart and Party
Epic Mickey
and Mirror's Edge (if that counts)

Observer4k9

Oct 12, 2012
Portal
Zoo Tycoon
Minecraft
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit

Those are the only games I've played that aren't combat focused.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Professor Layton
F-Zero (technically I'm not required to leave smoking craters of my opponents behind me)
Tetris
Freecell
Mah Jongg
Minesweeper
Sudoku
Harvest Moon

nogitsune

Aug 15, 2013
Umm... I'm really having trouble finding one, kinda hoping I'm not Blood thirsty. I guess Recettear: an Item Shop tale. That's the only one I can think off and I enjoyed it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Many of those already mentioned, especially Portal and racing games... but also one that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet: Kerbal Space Program. Technically it's still a buy-in early access beta, but there are already people figuring out how to build everything from space-stations with artificial gravity to unarmed model star destroyers.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Powder Game
Spore (Not sure of this really counts)
Harvest Moon
Katamari Damacy
Animal Crossing
Rock Band/Guitar Hero/Frets on Fire
Myst and all of it's sequels.
Sim City (SNES)
Parappa The Rappa/Um Jammer Lammy