What are your favourite races to play in games?

Cap'nPipsqueak

Jul 2, 2016
Silentpony said:
Space Wolves or Black Templars. Love me some 40k d100, and I love playing a character who is straigh forward(as in hit it with an axe in the face) and gives me the opportunity to role-play by charging headlong into danger, regardless of the rest of the Kill-Team, and always coming out on top.

Except that one time Roneth BloodTalon jump-packed into a 80+ horde of Ork Boyz and rolled critical failures on his plasma pistol and blew himself up.
Tyranid.

Because nothing says fun like being a creature that would make a xenomorph look like Winnie the Pooh. And eating the opposition.

Literally.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Non-Human. Id say Dark Elf, but I dont play many games that have them. My main character in a TES game is always a Dunmer though.

Kaleion said:
balladbird said:
I'm that one unimaginative guy that every D&D party has one of.

90% of the time I just play human, and generally try to set up a character who's as bad at combat as possible in favor of having general skills that a battle party may not have.
Those kinds of players are essential as every party should have at least one human, they are the most common Race in both D&D and Pathfinder and I just don't like playing them, don't get me wrong skill and stat wise they are very good but I like playing wacky shit, I was going to play a Mermaid Wizard on Pathfinder before my party persuaded me not to play the race that can only walk 5ft, also almost no one wants to play the skill monkey.

Maximum Bert said:
Hmm for DnD I would probably say Dark elf although I always like to put my own spin on it which the DM does not always allow or allows but then seems determined to kill me off pretty quick lol. I dont mind playing most races tbh although I dont like going halfling.

Must admit though I dont play much DND finding even a few hours a week spare is extremely difficult for me to do on a regular basis and as such I am unable to commit to a game. Technically we are still playing one but its been over 18 month since we last managed to all sit down and play lol.
Happens, DM's love killing wacky characters it's like their bread and butter, well at least the DM's I know but I will eventually have my revenge as a permanently invisible Pixie[footnote]Probably Bard, Wizard or Cleric.[/footnote] that hides in the hat of whichever is tankiest party member that is not at the front of the battle, you can't kill what you cannot see silly DM and if you can see me you are more likely to hit the other character.

But yeah, unfortunately, that happens sometimes, we have plenty of players that have never even met each other because their schedules never match, it's particularly sad when the ones that rarely play are playing some of the most likeable and cool characters, though if the whole party showed up it would be a bit much since we are like 16, but there's only like 5 of us that show up every session, normally it's like 7 or 8 playing, with 9 it's already a bit much to handle and things tend to get rushed because you have to scream to get the DM to listen to you among all the noise.
Cant speak for anyone but me, but interesting PCs...arent always good things. I rarely try to kill my players when I DM, but sometimes players are basically challanging you to do so. One player I had tried to make his AC as high as possible so he could never be hit (this is 3.5). I killed him in the final battle with a death spell that ignores AC.

Another "interesting" character was a player who had a deck of cards that he drew from every morning that determined his alignment for the day. Maybe if he didnt always get some sort of evil, it would have worked.

As a player, I just try to make a character that fills an empty roll. A mage if everyone is a fighter, a rogue if no one is sneaky, etc.

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
I like ones that aren't ordinary and have some kind of supernatural flair. I quite like tieflings (and I also like warlocks and that's a sensible kind of combination). Anything with shadowy kinds of connections too

Aug 31, 2012
Sure:

CP2020: Human, it's your only choice, but I'd go for human anyway in the unlikely event I ever played Shadowrun.

Twilight 2000: Same as above.

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay: Human. I like the historical feel of WHFRP, makes it more relatable and playing a dwarf or elf would not help with that. Also being human lessens your chance of being strung up by the local peasantry/witch hunter etc

Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader: Same as above. Emporer damned xenos.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
Not a fantasy race (obviously), but I've gotten into the habit lately of making all my create-a-characters black. A subconscious need for diversity I guess; usually those games tend to be full of white guys.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I usually play whatever race fits the theme I want for my character. Be it through lore or through racial abilities. Which usually means I play elves, dwarves or humans. Though I must say I like the thiefling a lot as well.

Dr. Thrax

Dec 5, 2011
Something big 'n buff, usually non-human.
Then I can turn him into something that isn't stereotypical for someone of his appearance.
Big buff mage? Fuck yeah, he will punch that fireball into your mouth (No he won't, he really doesn't want to be burnt to a crisp.)
Big buff cleric? He will punch your wounds into oblivion, ************.

When I used to play TERA, almost all of my characters were Aman males, who are a large humanoid dragon race, and threw them in as support classes. My Aman Priest surprised a few people, apparently they're not very common.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
I'm partial to dwarves. My best friend is a dwarf, I've known him since 3rd grade. There's something about being hardy, stubborn, wise, industrious, honorable, and badassed, while still having a sense of joy that just connects with me.

Humans are boring. Playing a human in a fantasy RPG is like playing an accountant, only less interesting because being an accountant in a fantasy universe actually sounds kind of cool. Managing supplies of dragon-scales and magic potions while handling a conquering hero's wages has so many layers. Humans are made worse simply by being in a universe with non-human options, whereas accountants are made better simply by being in a universe with more interesting things to account.

Elves are hipsters. They're smug, condescending, skinny, androgynous, want everything to be natural, have an arbitrary dislike of authority by simple virtue of it being authority, hate it when the masses have access to things they enjoy, and we'd all be better off without them.

Halflings have the potential to be fun, but they have a lot of baggage in their history. Same with gnomes.

Half Orcs could be cool, but I never got a feel for their abilities.

Dragonborn are pretty cool. I'm a little fuzzy on them lore-wise and their relation to half-dragons. And of course the age-old question: "Do female dragonborn have breasts?" Followed by the slightly newer question: "Do all dragonborn have cloacas?"

Half elves are half boring, half hipster.

Tieflings are for goth kids and edgelords, and not really my speed.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
inu-kun said:
White people....

Just kidding, I'd usually go with the more interesting story for a race, barring that, the race who is prettier or better geared to the more interesting combat system.
Gasp! But I'm Mexican and I live in M?xico and play with other Mexicans.

Saelune said:
Non-Human. Id say Dark Elf, but I dont play many games that have them. My main character in a TES game is always a Dunmer though.

Kaleion said:
Cant speak for anyone but me, but interesting PCs...arent always good things. I rarely try to kill my players when I DM, but sometimes players are basically challanging you to do so. One player I had tried to make his AC as high as possible so he could never be hit (this is 3.5). I killed him in the final battle with a death spell that ignores AC.

Another "interesting" character was a player who had a deck of cards that he drew from every morning that determined his alignment for the day. Maybe if he didnt always get some sort of evil, it would have worked.

As a player, I just try to make a character that fills an empty roll. A mage if everyone is a fighter, a rogue if no one is sneaky, etc.
The DMs I play with tend to go with filling roles too, but anyway players that do exaggerated stuff like having stupidly high AC are definitely challenging you to kill them, otherwise, they wouldn't be building that character in that way, in any case, I kid about the Pixie, and while I say that characters with strange gimmicks like the card one you mentioned are too wacky, a good wacky character isn't one that is always wacky it's just one that keeps you guessing as what he'll do in any given situation, for example, a Warlock that does not like to fight is surrounded by the enemy, in addition to that he has a broken arm and only one Spell left and it's not Dimension Door, so what does he do in that situation?

A) Fights and attempts to hold on while his friends come to aid him.
B) Uses his Darkness racial spell-like ability to give the enemy disadvantage on hitting him.
C) Uses his las spell slot which happens to be Banishment on himself into his master's realm and re-negotiates his Pact in a way that allows him to return fully healed and with all his spell slots.

It's more like yeah he does some pretty strange shit every now and then but everything makes sense for the character and the wacky stuff is so well spread-out that he doesn't get tiring or annoying which admittedly doesn't always work, but I believe that wacky characters feel more interesting and are more bearable for both the DM and the players if they resign themselves to be more of a supporting character than the main character, which I feel like it's the goal of most characters, especially Paladins.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
In sci-fi universes I tend to go for the robot option, followed by the warrior race option, followed by the completely "Alien" option, followed by humans, followed by space-elves. (Space elves include Asari, Vulcans, etc.)

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'm the RPG "racist" as I only play human or mostly human races. Even in White Wolf I played a list of human characters or Mages. The most non-human I roll is as a Breton in Elder Scrolls (most are at least a little part elf way back.) Counts for little though, mostly I GM.

Jan 27, 2011
This one enjoys playing Kahjiit very much. KAhjiit enjoys playing fluffy cat who can be badass, but cute. This one also enjoys Kahjiit speaking pattern. It is fun, no?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
aegix drakan said:
This one enjoys playing Kahjiit very much. KAhjiit enjoys playing fluffy cat who can be badass, but cute. This one also enjoys Kahjiit speaking pattern. It is fun, no?
No. Stop right there, criminal scum! You have violated the law! Return my sweetroll immediately!

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
dwarfs hands down my favorite race specially if they can be clerics, paladins, and/or some form of light/healing based magic wth average melee skills. If not available a magic focused female elf is always a good choice.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
As a player I tend to be unimaginative in my choice of race and go human. That's because in most settings most non-human races, especially the more exotic ones, tend to get pigeonholed into certain racial archetypes. Humans are generally versatile enough that they can come from any origin, fill any role and have any personality that you'd rarely ever have someone asking "why would someone from race X be a Y?", excepting those classes that are specifically unique to certain races.

As a DM tho, all bets are off. I'll happily create whatever zany idea comes to mind. A tribe of bedouin/native american catpeople? Check. An immortal 1000 year old genius velociraptor sage? Check. A foulmouthed intelligent animated sword that wields other swords? Check.

Zaltys

Apr 26, 2012
Kobolds.

...not a fan of the standard Tolkienesque species. Humans, pointy-eared humans, short thieving humans, or short stout alcoholic humans? That's not much to choose from. But if I had to pick from those, I'd roll a dwarf.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Asura and Charr from GW2

Asura because their animations as a warrior are my favourite in the game and Charr because playing as a gigantic lion monster is pretty cool.

In TES it's the Breton. Having some magic resist right off the bat is a pretty big benefit. My first character in any TES game has always been a Breton spell-sword.