What are your opinions on Red Dead Redemption 2 so far?

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Yoshi178 said:
Overhyped game and completely Uninterested.

if it's anything like GTA i'm sure its just as garbage as that series is too.
RDR is nothing like the GTA series.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
dscross said:
Yoshi178 said:

Well I mean, it is a little bit, let's be honest. It follows the same sort of formula, except in a western setting.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Casual Shinji said:
dscross said:
Yoshi178 said:

Well I mean, it is a little bit, let's be honest. It follows the same sort of formula, except in a western setting.
Nah, I don't think it is, personally. The setting completely changes everything about it. It doesn't even feel similar to me.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's great and very immersive, however it suffers from the same ''problem'' that the first game did where you'll spend most of your time just riding your horse around and it gets very tiring. It's why I gave up on the first game because there was so much downtime, I haven't given up on RDR2 though because at least this time around you can run into some pretty wild stuff.

My biggest issue, however, is how being a bad guy, robbing trains and stores etc just isn't worth it because you can't get away with it. Masks do NOTHING in this game so I'm not even sure why you can equip one because people know exactly who you are and will put a bounty on you faster than lightning.
That?s not the full story though from the sounds of it. [https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadredemption/comments/9ry44i/i_did_it_i_figured_out_how_to_rob_stores_without/] The problem with such big, complex games often ends up being hastily laid judgment, especially if people have a lower tolerance for them.

Ironically for as good as the sound is said to be in this game, the low volume has been my biggest issue with it early on. I have to almost double my volume setting for this game to be as loud as others for some reason. Hopefully this will also be patched, even though it?s not all that critical of an issue.
Dirty Hipsters said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
My biggest issue, however, is how being a bad guy, robbing trains and stores etc just isn't worth it because you can't get away with it. Masks do NOTHING in this game so I'm not even sure why you can equip one because people know exactly who you are and will put a bounty on you faster than lightning.
People recognize you by more than just your face. If you're wearing the same cloths and riding the same horse and of course they'll know it's you regardless of whether you cover your face.

To get away with heists you need to have a "heist outfit" and a "getaway horse" that is different from what your character normally wears and rides in addition to the mask.
That never worked for me, I tried changing everything before robbing a train and I still got a bounty after me in the middle of the robbery. I also just robbed a back room of a store with a new outfit on and as soon as the cops saw me they knew it was me.

Even if this was 100% true, what are the chances that someone knows exactly who you are 100% of the time only because of the horse you're riding? It doesn't make much sense. The game also NEVER explains this to you, seems like an important thing to know but hey, at least I know how to fish!

Another thing that's stupid, I don't know how many times I've gotten a bounty on me because I killed someone in self-defense, or how my character pulls out a gun by himself sometimes.
I haven?t played nearly enough to test every possible situation, but it seems like from what I?ve read/watched the only thing close to fool proof is making sure you never had a bounty or were wanted after being recognized in the first place. There will always be a chance the law will know who you are even if no one saw you change appearance because otherwise people could just wash/rinse repeat robbing places in an endless cycle, which would be even less immersive than lawmen acting on prior suspicion. It?s not perfect but for as complex as the character stuff is it ?mostly? works for playability?s sake. As an out for immersion?s sake there?s also the theme of already being a known outlaw in the main story, so you?re never fully an unknown personality.

Maybe they?ll patch in a tweak after enough real world play data has been evaluated. I suppose the online stuff will also be more ?realistic? since AI won?t be involved at all, but I didn?t get the game for that personally. I?ll probably try it like the last game, but that?s always too competitive for the amount of time I have

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
So a lotta people dislike the controls. They're... unique, I'll give them that. It took me a lot time to get the hang of them and I'll be honest and say several I still don't know some of the finer ones. I for the life of my cannot figure out the correct rhythm to gallop a horse and not cost stamina. The bandanna is also very poorly explained and I still don't know how to not lose honor. I will complement the shooting, it's very slow and deliberate. I never thought I'd have to explain to my friend in like two paragraphs how cocking works in the game... but I like it! There is some weird things, like how there is at least three different buttons to pick things up and the constant reliance on holding buttons for a decent while.

The story is... something. I honest to gods can't say if it's great and I like it or awful. It's very interesting. Until chapter four the only main plot is "run from law, make money." It is nice to see Dutch in action, it's been a very long time since I played the first game, but I seem to recall Marston accusing Dutch of taking a bunch of ideological or lost kids and turning them into his own killers and source of income. Almost every bad thing to happen so far has been completely Dutch's fault, yet his charisma keeps these people near him. I haven't seen the ending, but I assume there is a reason Marston only needs to hunt down three of his former gang.

And my final opinion, game would have been way better to play as Charles.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I'll parrot what everyone says here about the controls being hit or miss and the horse riding, while fun, getting a bit tedious at times.

But the main draw, for me at least, is that Red Dead Redemption 2 is a commentary on Rockstar games itself.

Arthur Morgan might be the most deconstructionist hero Rockstar has ever produced this side of Nico Bellic. He follows Dutch as a loyal soldier only to start to realize that loyalty doesn't have the perks it used to. Arthur's interior monologue reveals a man nostalgic for the past and wants the freedom America promises, but as he continues on his journey, he starts to realize that a) the freedom he was promised was never really there especially in the contiously evolving America and its continued progress and b) that his nostalgia for the past might be rose-tinted glasses and might never have existed.

The commentary is that as Arthur begins to realize things have changed and may never changed back, so has Rockstar. Once the bad boy of the Industry with its risque storytelling and waving the middle finger against parent groups and politicians, Rockstar is slowly changing and just as the lost of the Wild Wild West and Untamed Frontier is palpable, so is the idea of creative freedom. More and more, social movements such as an increased focus on ethnic minorities and yes, women's groups, become highlighted and there's the sense that Arthur relates more to Native Americans and freed slaves than he does with the rest of civilization. Contrast the ever expansive deserts and plains to the first appearence of Saint Denis with its crowded streets and smoke stacks blackening the skies and Arthur realizes that the time of the cowboy is coming to a close, just as the time of the Rockstar of old is coming to a close.

It's all a big lead up to reveal Arthur's eventual fate and what he must do.

The stuff with John bickering with Abigail about quitting was crap though. I detested it.

Foxcubwendigo

Apr 5, 2018
Really, really loving it.
Sure, it's got some problems (like the fact that it keeps unequipping your long guns, and you have to run back to your horse to re-equip them, unlike the previous game where you can switch between them on the fly) but they mostly don't get in the way of an otherwise very fun game.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Foxcubwendigo said:
Sure, it's got some problems (like the fact that it keeps unequipping your long guns, and you have to run back to your horse to re-equip them, unlike the previous game where you can switch between them on the fly) but they mostly don't get in the way of an otherwise very fun game.
They really should at least patch in an option to keep current equipment instead of having to re-equip whenever you mount/dismount. In a weird way I understand they probably did this to force you to prepare cleanly for each situation, but I?d rather at least have the option to retain a current loadout until I decide to change it.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Foxcubwendigo said:
I get the impression it's brilliant, but they've made a few things a bit too realistic?

Eacaraxe_v1legacy

Mar 28, 2010
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
That never worked for me, I tried changing everything before robbing a train and I still got a bounty after me in the middle of the robbery. I also just robbed a back room of a store with a new outfit on and as soon as the cops saw me they knew it was me.

Even if this was 100% true, what are the chances that someone knows exactly who you are 100% of the time only because of the horse you're riding? It doesn't make much sense. The game also NEVER explains this to you, seems like an important thing to know but hey, at least I know how to fish!

Another thing that's stupid, I don't know how many times I've gotten a bounty on me because I killed someone in self-defense, or how my character pulls out a gun by himself sometimes.
The game has a hidden and honestly, pretty obscure however intuitive it is when you really think about it, reputation system. You're just not used to seeing a system like it in a video game.

The better you're known in an area, the quicker people are to recognize you, and it's not enough to just change your kit before or after the fact. The game tracks whether townsfolk recognize you whether you're wanted or not, this is something you can figure out based on how they respond to you based on honor and past actions in town, and if you do something to get recognized before committing a criminal act, you're going to get the bounty. If you dilly-dally around town before or after the act, or hit a place you've been spending a lot of time, you're going to get recognized, and lawmen are much quicker to recognize you than regular townsfolk.

For instance, if you've done dirty in Valentine in the past, even if you change clothes and your horse, if the townsfolk start giving you crap you've already been recognized in town and it's not safe to do further bad business there and expect to get away without a bounty. The inverse situation is also true; if you've been a good boah in Rhodes, said hello and greeted everyone in town, done a lot of selling and buying there, if townsfolk start saying hello and being nice to you in absence of action on your part, you've been recognized and can't expect to just rob a store and get away with it.

To really pull off heists and robberies (in free roam), you have to change up everything, get in with minimum exposure, do your business fast, and get out quickly and discretely. Even then, there are places like the doctor's side business in Valentine, where you just have no realistic expectation to get away without a bounty -- because the Valentine doctor's office is next door to the jail, and you have basically no option to do that robbery quietly. Which from a game mechanics perspective, is perfectly fine because it's a quick and easy heist that rewards you a huge chunk of cash and the best handgun in the game, for something you can do immediately upon entering chapter 2.

Also, bandanas don't hide your entire face, that plays a role. You need an actual mask.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
I think my initial reaction to it was one of the most mixed responses I've ever felt over a game. On one hand, it's beautiful, extremely detailed, has good writing, and the map is dotted with lots of good random moments that make the world feel like it's worth exploring and interacting with. I loved the first game, and this expanded on the concept.

On the other hand, I feel like it's overtly obsessed with its own sense of realism. Movement can feel stiff and sluggish, there are a lot of unskippable animations and mechanics that make basic gameplay feel like more of a chore, you have to go through multiple steps just to carry the weapons you want every mission, the lack of fast travel leads to unnecessary amounts of filler, the new bounty system is annoying, etc. The weirdest part is that all of my biggest complaints I have so far feel like they're about things that Rockstar went out of their way to implement. Like they're proud of that extra wasted time when a simple addition or two to the options menu could have easily avoided a lot of frustration. Please let me run in my campsite.

I'm far from finished, and I still have fun with it, when I'm able to make time for a long play-session and simply get used to some of the more finicky details, but I'm still genuinely baffled by some of the more exhausting design choices. The fact that you can do chores in the camp is a good example. Literal chores. No really unique dialogue while carrying hay, no job mini-game while chopping wood. They're just... chores... They're optional, but I don't know why they exist.

There is heart and creativity beneath the surface of RDR2, and an insane amount of detail to appreciate, but there's a lot of unnecessary fat you have to cut through too. While watching an unskippable skinning animation... Again and again...

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Eacaraxe said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

The game has a hidden and honestly, pretty obscure however intuitive it is when you really think about it, reputation system. You're just not used to seeing a system like it in a video game.

The better you're known in an area, the quicker people are to recognize you, and it's not enough to just change your kit before or after the fact. The game tracks whether townsfolk recognize you whether you're wanted or not, this is something you can figure out based on how they respond to you based on honor and past actions in town, and if you do something to get recognized before committing a criminal act, you're going to get the bounty. If you dilly-dally around town before or after the act, or hit a place you've been spending a lot of time, you're going to get recognized, and lawmen are much quicker to recognize you than regular townsfolk.

For instance, if you've done dirty in Valentine in the past, even if you change clothes and your horse, if the townsfolk start giving you crap you've already been recognized in town and it's not safe to do further bad business there and expect to get away without a bounty. The inverse situation is also true; if you've been a good boah in Rhodes, said hello and greeted everyone in town, done a lot of selling and buying there, if townsfolk start saying hello and being nice to you in absence of action on your part, you've been recognized and can't expect to just rob a store and get away with it.

To really pull off heists and robberies (in free roam), you have to change up everything, get in with minimum exposure, do your business fast, and get out quickly and discretely. Even then, there are places like the doctor's side business in Valentine, where you just have no realistic expectation to get away without a bounty -- because the Valentine doctor's office is next door to the jail, and you have basically no option to do that robbery quietly. Which from a game mechanics perspective, is perfectly fine because it's a quick and easy heist that rewards you a huge chunk of cash and the best handgun in the game, for something you can do immediately upon entering chapter 2.

Also, bandanas don't hide your entire face, that plays a role. You need an actual mask.
I don't quite believe this because I did try to rob a train with a full face mask and a new set of clothes and I still got a bounty on me in the middle of the robbery.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
Eacaraxe said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:

I don't quite believe this because I did try to rob a train with a full face mask and a new set of clothes and I still got a bounty on me in the middle of the robbery.
From what I?ve read is there is a such thing as an ?unknown man? bounty, which is separate from ?Arthur Morgan identified? bounty. When you think of it, you try crime when any lawmen are involved and it?s an instant bounty applied based on the act alone. Idk if this ties into the story at all or purely gameplay system- based only, but it?s apparently a thing other people have tested.

On one hand I?d think Rockstar would post a bulletin explaining it in detail, but perhaps they don?t want to as it would ?let the cat out of the bag? so to speak. Most everyone would probably start abusing it once they ?cracked? all the inner workings, to the point it really broke the game.

Mikejames said:
I think my initial reaction to it was one of the most mixed responses I've ever felt over a game. On one hand, it's beautiful, extremely detailed, has good writing, and the map is dotted with lots of good random moments that make the world feel like it's worth exploring and interacting with. I loved the first game, and this expanded on the concept.

On the other hand, I feel like it's overtly obsessed with its own sense of realism. Movement can feel stiff and sluggish, there are a lot of unskippable animations and mechanics that make basic gameplay feel like more of a chore, you have to go through multiple steps just to carry the weapons you want every mission, the lack of fast travel leads to unnecessary amounts of filler, the new bounty system is annoying, etc. The weirdest part is that all of my biggest complaints I have so far feel like they're about things that Rockstar went out of their way to implement. Like they're proud of that extra wasted time when a simple addition or two to the options menu could have easily avoided a lot of frustration. Please let me run in my campsite.

I'm far from finished, and I still have fun with it, when I'm able to make time for a long play-session and simply get used to some of the more finicky details, but I'm still genuinely baffled by some of the more exhausting design choices. The fact that you can do chores in the camp is a good example. Literal chores. No really unique dialogue while carrying hay, no job mini-game while chopping wood. They're just... chores... They're optional, but I don't know why they exist.

There is heart and creativity beneath the surface of RDR2, and an insane amount of detail to appreciate, but there's a lot of unnecessary fat you have to cut through too. While watching an unskippable skinning animation... Again and again..
The design is intentionally weighty, albeit with a significant helping of lag likely due to engine limitations, triple buffering rendering to prevent screen tearing, etc. Having said that, I?ve never had something bad happen and thought If only these controls were more responsive! because generally they work within the context of the action and the game?s design. Contextual things like hitching your horse and looting are typical slower than horse riding mechanics, melee and shooting mechanics, so to me it?s never been detrimental. Your character is meant to feel weighty and have a grounded presence in the game world, unlike most action games where you?re basically controlling a reticle surrounded by polygons.

The chores around the camp increase honor rank, camp morale and dead eye points, so they?re generally worth it one way or another.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:
Contextual things like hitching your horse and looting are typical slower than horse riding mechanics, melee and shooting mechanics, so to me it's never been detrimental. Your character is meant to feel weighty and have a grounded presence in the game world, unlike most action games where you're basically controlling a reticle surrounded by polygons.
I think most of the general combat and the like is fine once it picks up. I just feel like there are moments of downtime where I don't want to feel that weight and presence. I just want to keep moving. When I finish a big fight I want to quickly collect the loot and be on my way, I don't want to sit through an unskippable animation searching every body. When I call my horse I don't want to have to run back within whistle range and slowly wait for it to catch up to me in real-time, I just want it to quickly show up or respawn nearby. And if I'm going to slowly walk inside a building or campsite, I want it to be optional unless it's directly related to a cut-scene.

I understand the devs wanting to give the player character a sense of weight and realistic immersion, but I don't think that idea is always worth sacrificing good pacing and gameplay convenience for.

The chores around the camp increase honor rank, camp morale and dead eye points, so they're generally worth it one way or another.
Alright, but couldn't they have made them more interesting or simply really fast to do if that's all there is to them? It's not really worth complaining about, considering that it's completely optional, but I still don't understand the point of including these drawn out and well-animated chore sequences if they're not entertaining to sit through.

It could have been like Nier, where fishing was just an excuse to hear the characters have funny banter with each other during it. It could have been like Fable 3, where the jobs weren't interesting, but they still had a bit of gameplay and player involvement as it tested your timing and got faster and faster for a growing reward. But as is, I don't think there's enough justification to just sit around watching Arthur chop multiple pieces of firewood.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Still want to get it, but don't have a PS4 or Xbone of my own :(
Black Friday approaches! Buddy got the XboneS with 4K disc player last year for $175.

I still play PS3 and Xbox 360 BC on an OG Xbox One and they are still great. Heck, the Original Xbox had the fundamentals down. But these new consoles are terrific. (though, PC gaming is still my favorite).

Waiting for the holiday, see if my kids get me this as a gift 1st. If not, I'll pick it up. I hear it doesn't have the insta kill on lengthy journeys that RD1 had so, I'm in.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Mikejames said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Contextual things like hitching your horse and looting are typical slower than horse riding mechanics, melee and shooting mechanics, so to me it's never been detrimental. Your character is meant to feel weighty and have a grounded presence in the game world, unlike most action games where you're basically controlling a reticle surrounded by polygons.
I think most of the general combat and the like is fine once it picks up. I just feel like there are moments of downtime where I don't want to feel that weight and presence. I just want to keep moving. When I finish a big fight I want to quickly collect the loot and be on my way, I don't want to sit through an unskippable animation searching every body. When I call my horse I don't want to have to run back within whistle range and slowly wait for it to catch up to me in real-time, I just want it to quickly show up or respawn nearby. And if I'm going to slowly walk inside a building or campsite, I want it to be optional unless it's directly related to a cut-scene.

I understand the devs wanting to give the player character a sense of weight and realistic immersion, but I don't think that idea is always worth sacrificing good pacing and gameplay convenience for.

The chores around the camp increase honor rank, camp morale and dead eye points, so they're generally worth it one way or another.
Alright, but couldn't they have made them more interesting or simply really fast to do if that's all there is to them? It's not really worth complaining about, considering that it's completely optional, but I still don't understand the point of including these drawn out and well-animated chore sequences if they're not entertaining to sit through.

It could have been like Nier, where fishing was just an excuse to hear the characters have funny banter with each other during it. It could have been like Fable 3, where the jobs weren't interesting, but they still had a bit of gameplay and player involvement as it tested your timing and got faster and faster for a growing reward. But as is, I don't think there's enough justification to just sit around watching Arthur chop multiple pieces of firewood.

I get it, but to me I went into it with a different mindset next to other games; even GTA. I?m basically unwinding from a long, often stressful day by living vicariously through this virtual outlaw on screen. I also played a lot of SoulsBorne which helped me understand the virtue of patience and basking in the little details; although RDR2 goes quite a bit further with it. The aim to me isn?t getting to the end in the most convenient ways possible, but to bask in the high?s and low?s along the way.

It?s kinda like how I never understood when people brag about how quickly they beat x game, or wonder why it took me so long. I sit there thinking damn, they missed like half the game if it has even half the details of RDR2.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
hanselthecaretaker said:
I get it, but to me I went into it with a different mindset next to other games; even GTA. I?m basically unwinding from a long, often stressful day by living vicariously through this virtual outlaw on screen. I also played a lot of SoulsBorne which helped me understand the virtue of patience and basking in the little details; although RDR2 goes quite a bit further with it. The aim to me isn?t getting to the end in the most convenient ways possible, but to bask in the high?s and low?s along the way.

It?s kinda like how I never understood when people brag about how quickly they beat x game, or wonder why it took me so long. I sit there thinking damn, they missed like half the game if it has even half the details of RDR2.
That's cool. I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the game as it is or taking your time with a hobby. I just wouldn't mind having a few of the more vestigial animations and restrictions be optional or customizable.

I only have so much free-time to play video games during the day, so I appreciate when I'm able to trim around some of the more time-consuming or repetitive aspects of something that aren't personally making things more enjoyable for me.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I haven?t tried this [https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UANnDH1oh0] yet, but apparently it?s a good way to rob trains without getting a bounty. The comment below would also be worth trying -

Gripfastvids
You could do this WAY more effectively.
Consider this....

1.) Dont jump up on top of the train. Just wait for the train to enter the tunnel then approach the guards and kill them. This way you won't be shot at when you're driving the train. Kill them first, then the driver.

2.) Use explosive rounds to open the safe. Dynamite placement can be unpredictable (as you've shown) and you wont have to run away as it blows up. Just shoot it and loot it. (You can use that)

3.) You walked your happy ass out of the tunnel without your horse? No problem put that ***** in reverse and ride it BACKWARDS back to Annesburg. There is still no bounty, no red ring, just ghost ride it back into the station, jump off, and call your horse.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
It needs a horse radio. If it is going to take me 20+ minutes to get from point A to B in the story riding a horse at least give me something to listen to other than the crickets and the clomping.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
hanselthecaretaker said:
This is pretty much how I'm playing it and really enjoying doing so, though I have lost my stupid horse again and have $300 bounties on me everywhere so I hang around in the woods a lot.