What are your thoughts about World of Warcraft: Legion?

Broderick

May 25, 2010
Hey, long time lurker and WoW player here. Seeing how I havent seen many other topics about the game, I figured I would make one myself. For those who are playing the new World of Warcraft expansion, what do you feel about it? Did it meet your expectations? What flaws does the expansion have?

I personally feel that they did a lot right this expansion. Aside from a DDoS attack, it was the smoothest expansion launch I have ever been apart of.

Quests, while are more of the same "kill this, collect that", they are at least a bit more varied.

Artifact weapons I feel are overall was executed pretty alright(I have only experience with the mage ones however).

The zones look and feel a bit smaller than usual ones, but they feel more dense, like there is much more to do in each zone.

World quests are a nice idea, although I am unsure how I feel about the level scaling.

I have more thoughts but those were just some examples to foster some ideas. So, what are your thoughts about Legion?

aozgolo

Mar 15, 2011
I've been tempted to play again, I haven't played since MoP (Pandaria) but the last several times I've gone back to the game have only been for about a month before I quickly grow bored of it, and with this one, the thought of the cost of a subscription, plus upgrading to Warlords and buying Legion for a game I might not even really get back into seems a bit silly to me. I don't wish to pay $65+ on a game I might spend less than a month on.

I do like how the expansion looks, and I'm not knocking the game itself, but my attempts at rejoining the game after my first departure half-way through WotLK and trying to come back once during Cata, and once during MoP have left me without that feeling I had when I first played the game all those years ago, I doubt I'd ever get it back but it's unfortunately become one of those games that's changed too much for my liking. I do hope others are still enjoying it though.

chrissx2

Sep 15, 2008
I would love to play it to see all the new locations, but I have no money nor time to spend on it + wow brings bad memories.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Really liking it so far. I'm at level 108, halfway through the third zone and I honestly don't have any complaints. The zones are well done, each with its own storyline. They expanded a bit on the whole exploration aspect from MoP/WoD, everything is fairly tightly designed. Sure, it's a theme park, but that's what WoW has been since the start.

I like how they took some of the aspects of Garrisons and implemented them in Class Halls, but on a smaller scale and made them less obtrusive. Artifact Weapons have also turned out quite well and make a nice bit of progression to work on.

The new class (Demon Hunter) is fun, with great animations and spell effects, though obviously geared to more inexperienced players. Still, if you've ever wanted to be Illidan, here's your chance.

Only did a few dungeons thus far, but even there I was pleasantly surprised. Even on Normal there were moments that required a modicum of actual play (as opposed to mindless zerging that's characterized Normal level dungeons for the past several expansions). It remains to be seen how it'll play out at level cap, but I've heard promising things about the new Mythic system as a progression mechanic for non-raiders.

Class balance seems decent, though most classes have been hit by a wave of streamlining changes this expansion, resulting in simplified rotations in most cases. I'm mostly fine with it, but I can see why some people have been a bit peeved off by it. However, the general idea is that the base class is reasonably simple, and you can make the rotations and mechanics more complex with Talents if you want, with the more active and complex choices providing better results that pure passives. In practice, this still requires some work, but it's not a bad idea.

Crafting is a mixed bag. On one hand, crafting is mostly advanced through questlines now (yes, even gathering has questlines) which is neat, but there's not much to actually craft. So crafting is more fun, but less useful overall. The flipside is that it's less mandatory now. Hell, you might as well just take two gathering profs and make money off them...

I don't PvP so I can't comment on that. Also, raids aren't open yet, so that's off the table as well.

My main concern is the amount of content at 110 - WoD was also fun while leveling, but quickly went to shit at level cap, so will that be happening again? What I've heard from the Beta and from people in general is that there's a ton of content already in the game, far more than all of WoD, so at least that's promising. Here's hoping Blizz makes it work this time around...

Overall, I'm pleased with what I've seen so far and optimistic about the future.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I'm loving it so far. Already 110 on my druid.
Was planning on a paladin main but then they changed paladin healing and I didn't like it so I've gone crying back to my true love, druids.

Quests have been fun, dungeons are easy at Normal but I can see the potential for them to be harder in heroic, Class Halls are a bit confusing to me but I'm doing okay with them so far.

Lots to do at the moment, much more than in WoD, so I'm happy.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Phasmal said:
Class Halls are a bit confusing to me but I'm doing okay with them so far.
I'm curious, what about them have you found confusing? So far, I've found them to be simpler, less obtrusive version of the Garrison...

Myria

Sanity Challenged
Nov 15, 2009
aozgolo said:
[...] plus upgrading to Warlords [...]
FWIW, everything up to Warlords is included in the base game now, so you'd just need to get Legion.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Jandau said:
Phasmal said:
I'm curious, what about them have you found confusing? So far, I've found them to be simpler, less obtrusive version of the Garrison...
Oh, it's probably just me. I was a bit confused over what to do and when. Mostly because I was questing with my boyfriend, who was doing the Demon Hunter Class Hall and because his campaign was different I thought I must have done mine wrong.
And I'm not entirely sure if I should go for all 3 artifact weapons. It'll probably be a pain for me to do, because I main healer.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Phasmal said:
Jandau said:
Phasmal said:
Oh, it's probably just me. I was a bit confused over what to do and when. Mostly because I was questing with my boyfriend, who was doing the Demon Hunter Class Hall and because his campaign was different I thought I must have done mine wrong.
And I'm not entirely sure if I should go for all 3 artifact weapons. It'll probably be a pain for me to do, because I main healer.
Well, it comes down to this - every time you level up, drop by your hall and see if there's a new quest. Do the same with Dalaran. Once you start getting the follower missions, they are mostly the same as in WoD, only less profitable. Focus on the ones that advance the story. That's about it. Oh, and if you find the recruitable "troops" strange, just think of them as temporary followers that let you run more missions at once.

As for the Artifacts, by all means get all of them. In your case, you have a total of 4 to get (you said you were playing a Druid) and there's really no reason not to run through the starter scenarios for all of them. As for how you should spend your artifact power, I'd suggest focusing it on your primary spec. You can still level in another spec using a different artifact, just switch back to your main spec when popping the artifact power consumables.

Don't worry too much about your offspecs. Eventually you'll unlock Artifact Power multipliers, meaning that subsequent specs' artifacts will level faster. Reports from Beta state that later on it's possible to have a second artifact within a few levels of your main with barely any extra effort.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
I love it, it feels like the best expansion in years. The questing is the best it's ever been, and artifact weapons are sweet. I've played a Ret Pally since BC, so getting my hands on the Ashbringer was a big "Awwwwww shit" moment. I'm also glad they're keeping up the brutality demonstrated at the Broken Shore. A few leaders died there, and it was like "Okay, you've shown you're serious", but the beating just keeps coming. I've finished Val'Shara and Highmountain so far, and both quest chains were great.

Oh! And Highmountain has Tauren totems you can wear on your back as a cosmetic item, you can finally be a Tauren Chieftan!

Overall, I'd say this has the potential to be Wrath 2, I'll have to see the raids when they come out.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Is there any reason to socialize with people ever, or is it another "stay in your fort and use group finder" situation?

Jan 19, 2016
Just started playing it, so I'm only 102 and still levelling in Stormheim, but it's been pretty decent so far.

My main issue is deciding what class I should be maining; my guild needs RDPS, and I'm trying to decide between Fire Mage (my old main), Destro Lock, and Shadow Priest. The guild already has two Warlocks and three (maybe two) mages, but no Shadow Priest. Right now, I think I like Destro best, but S.Priest is tempting for the sake of class diversity. Either way, I need to hurry up an decide so I can gear for raid launch. Gah, decisions!

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Due to work I haven't had nearly the amount of time to put into the game as I would have liked. I have reached level 104 and completed Azuna and most of Val'Shara so far.

I am really liking the feel of the game. Not that questing is any different or even any better than before, but there is so many directions to go that I really like it. Before I would quest in a zone until I finished and move to the next one. But in Legion, I find myself going to my Class Hall for quests, jumping to Dalaran for profession tasks and quests, then back to whatever zone I was working on. Because they level scaled everything, I don't feel so obligated to finish things one by one. This allows me to feel "free-er" to jump about and do things that might take me other places as they come up. It makes it feel like there is a lot more to do than in any previous expansion.

Sadly I am a DPS and I haven't been able to get into a Dungeon yet, my ques are like 2 hours and I haven't had that kind of playtime to check them out. However this weekend I expect to push to 110 and do several dungeons and world quests and all that max level stuff. I've heard Suramar is fantastic and I'm looking forward to trying it.

I love the artifact system, every talent point I get for my weapon feels like it really makes a difference, which is something I haven't experienced in game in a long time. Every Artifact power item that I get excites me and I fucking love that feeling.

All in all I have good vibes from this expansion so far.....but I also really enjoyed my first month with Warlords so, hopefully Legion doesn't fall flat on it's face.

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
So far I've got my monk up to level 107 and I'm really enjoying how they've changed their approach to the leveling experience. The split zones means I'm not elbow deep in people being railroaded through the same quest lines, and when there are people the open tagging makes it actually worthwhile to assist someone with what they're fighting.

With level scaling, I can finally stick with a zone until I've completed every available quest, instead of being 2-3 levels above the content by the first zone, and eventually skipping either the last or second to last zone to stick to level curve.

I have only done a cursory swipe at professions so far, so no idea about how that will pan out. Doesn't seem like you start out with much worth crafting.

Really neat to learn of the hidden ability with the windwalker monk weapons. Falling further than a normal jump activates an aoe knockback where you land, and can be used with Whirling Dragon Punch in combat by jumping forward while using it. No idea of other classes get perks like that.

Combined with one of the smoothest launches for WoW, it's been really pleasant so far. The people behind the ddos attacks can kindly go choke on their own neckbeards, though.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
Is it me or WoW has going for Game of Thrones levels of dread. PEOPLE WON'T STOP DYING.

Maybe it's just the starting zones I chose first but so far I'm thinking the legion may actually win this time. It's a feeling you very rarely get in MMO stories.

Also a lot of the points are pretty dark. (Not saying specific to avoid spoilers).

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
MCerberus said:
Is there any reason to socialize with people ever, or is it another "stay in your fort and use group finder" situation?
Your "Fort" is now shared with everyone in your class.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
I like it, it didn't bore me after a couple of hours like WoD did. That Broken Shore cinematic was awesome as well.