What are your top 5 FPS this gen?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello friends,

In this thread we discuss top 5 best FPS we played this gen. so what are the top 5 FPS you played this gen?

heres mines

1.DOOM Eternal
2.Black Mesa
3.DOOM
4.Metro Exodus
5.Titanfall 2

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Gee, another FPS thread...

Okay, fine. I'm going to define this generation as being from 2012 to present, so by that reckoning, my top five would be:

5) Wolfenstein: The New Order
4) Aliens: Colonial Marines
3) Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
2) Halo 5: Guardians
1) Doom Eternal

...oh boy, this is going to turn some heads. :(

Edit: Changed #5 from Doom to Wolfenstein: The New Order

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:
Minor note, the #5 spot was up for grabs, kind of a three way race between Doom, Wolfenstein: The New Order, and BioShock Infinite, while 4-1 are pretty concrete for me. In the end, I chose Doom, because while it didn't reach the highs the other two games did, it didn't reach their lows either.
Infinite was last gen, by the by. (New Order was a cross-gen release)

Uh... let's see.

My candidates would be:
Destiny (1), The two Dooms, New Order, Dishonored 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Far Cry 4, and Titanfall 2.

So I'd probbably go.....

1 - Doom Eternal
2 - Destiny 1
3 - Titanfall 2
4 - Doom '16
5 - Shadow Warrior 2

New Order has the best outing of the 3 Wolfensteins, but still feels like they didn't quite get their finger on the pulse properly. Dishonored 2 is obviously there as a "technically". Far Cry 4 gets the dubious honor of "realistic" FPS I enjoyed the most, but if it wasn't obvious, thats not my preferred style.

I've also played at least one Battlefield and Call of Duty (that I don't remember which should be enough said), Killing Floor 2 which was a free PSPlus game at one point, and you could potentially include both Vermintides (kind of similarly, I don't think they've quite nailed the pulse on those as yet). And Evolve, which should be the poster child for good concept, bad execution. And I've played an hour or three of all the Borderlands under free weekends or whatever before finding them incessantly annoying or boring in equal measures.

(then of course you have outright trainwreckes like Fallout 76, or Destiny 2 (which is Destiny 1 but worse in almost every conceivable way)

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Interesting use of the word 'discuss' there, huh.

Hawki said:
4) Aliens: Colonial Marines
What's your rationale behind this entry? I know people are allowed to have their own opinion, but damn, that game bored me to tears and everyone I know IRL who played it (between us, me and a buddy took turns and still couldn't be arsed to finish it).

Perception of quality notwithstanding, though, surely that's a previous gen game? o_O

No list from me, OT, 'cos FPS's have elicited more and more disinterest in me in recent years, last one I properly finished was from last gen. -_-

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
The 5 FPS I have enjoyed the most during this gen are:

5: Perfect Dark
4: Operation Flashpoint
3: Deus Ex
2: Battlefield 1942
1: Goldeneye

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Seth Carter said:
Destiny 2 (which is Destiny 1 but worse in almost every conceivable way)
How so?

SckizoBoy said:
What's your rationale behind this entry? I know people are allowed to have their own opinion, but damn, that game bored me to tears and everyone I know IRL who played it (between us, me and a buddy took turns and still couldn't be arsed to finish it).

Perception of quality notwithstanding, though, surely that's a previous gen game? o_O
By the criteria I used, Colonial Marines fits. Granted, it was released on the prior console generation, so arguably it doesn't. If so, Wolfenstein gets bumped up one, and Doom comes back into the #5 spot.

But as to why it's on the list...because I liked it?

Okay, that isn't an answer. But as to why I like it, I'm going to start by establishing that the false advertising and glitches don't really concern me, least how it relates to the game itself. That false advertising was used is iffy, but it doesn't impact the game's quality in of itself. Similar to Halo 5, which had a similarly misleading ad campaign, but that it's misleading is the campaign's fault, not the game's. And as for glitches, obviously they exist, because there's footage on YouTube that demonstrates it, but speaking personally, I didn't encounter any glitches. Maybe the mech loader fight, but that's it.

Still, I did enjoy the game, and do consider it to be "good" at the end of the day. I thought it did a good job of capturing the feel of Aliens, in that while I had the firepower of a pulse rifle (among other things), the game never made me feel completely invincible. That the xenomorphs were tough, and I had to keep looking at the motion tracker if I wanted to stay alive. Certainly helps that I'm a fan of the Aliens/Predator setting. The characters, while not special, were ones I cared about, and it did a good job of selling the hell the marines were going through. I thought there was decent weapon variety (even if the phased plasma pulse rifle is absolutely useless), and I like the health system used. Regenerating health, but only to a point, with the health metre being divided by bars.

Furthermore, I actually do like that you take on WY mercs. I know I'm overthinking this, but there's something to be said in the fact that WY can engage the Colonial Marines with impunity, and think they can get away with it. Because they can. Go just a few decades later in the timeline, and we see that the Marines are basically doing WY's bidding (see the AvP games for instance). Now, I know this game wasn't written to act as some kind of bridge between the USCMC actually serving the United Americas and being in the pocket of the Company, but still, it did occur to me. And even that aside, I found the gunplay decent, and it does mix the game up when you have to engage the mercs and xenos at the same time. Plus, there are some distinct sections, such as the sewer sequence where you're stripped of weapons, or the giant rhino xenomorph.

That said, the game isn't perfect. The graphics aren't the greatest, and the Hicks retcon (I know it's not technically a retcon, but whatever) is unneeded. FFS, Alien 3 came out two decades before this game was released, GET OVER IT. I know a lot of people dislike Hicks and Newt being killed off, but can we please just move on? But even that aside, the plot isn't all that great. And while I like the characters, none of them are "great" either. Still, I do like the game. And if not for the controversy surrounding the ad campaign and Gearbox siphoning funds for Borderlands 2, I think the game would be better received, or at least, not disliked as much.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Hawki said:
Seth Carter said:
Destiny 2 (which is Destiny 1 but worse in almost every conceivable way)
How so?

There might be some qualification required as to which variation of Destiny 1 we're talking.

But generally, the complete decimation of progression trees (both for classes and gear). Most of the more unique abilities were gutted out and replaced with basic "make blasty attack now" moves. The campaign somehow turned out shorter then vanilla D1s. LEss of literally every type of content. Never been great with their Exotics in general, but D2 has way more that just feel like background numerical buffs then unique pieces.

Its only gone on to be more of an ongoing circus, with Seasons and updates being the popcorn theatre of "what are they going to f- up now". Forsaken had some brief highlights (apparently having been heavily handled by their B-team, who seem to be the better one, funnily denough), albeit still mired by some of their awful decisions regarding grind and gear. But then its just been a tidal wave downhill since then.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Wolfenstein: The New Order and a collection of Far Cries and Borderlands and Dying Light and BioShock Infinite.

Didn't even finish Doom, so bored I was.