What bullshit have you convinced people was true?

ShindoL Shill

Truely we are the Our Avatars XI
Jul 11, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Me and a friend once convinced an American lass staying here in England that on these shores the 4th July was known as Traitor's Day. It was a few years ago so I can't remember the specifics, but we built up this fairly elaborate series of 'customs' as to why it would be a bad idea for an American to go out partying (as she wanted to do) on the 4th.
wait, ye dinnae ha' tha' doon in england?

OT: i convinced one guy i have a sister. he knows i'm an only child. and i convinced someone else i'm magic, and killed someone. also everybody thinks i'm stoned all the time.
Liquidacid23 said:
I edited Hitler's Wikipedia page to say he was Jewish and showed my roommate before they changed it back... she proceeded to tell everyone she knew even arguing the point with genuine passion...
there was apparently some suspicion that his grandfather may have been part-Jewish.
and one of my friends edited literally every major historical legislation in 1800s UK to fuel his narcissism by saying it was all his idea.
he even wrote paragraphs...

antipope

Jun 7, 2010
During the 2000 U.S. presidential election I new someone who wouldn't stop talking about it, so I convinced them that Indians couldn't vote in Florida. They still believe this to this day and have occasionally informed me of this when something stupid happens in Florida.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
i convinced a girl that i actually met jesus on the bus i was on a summer school in england and im from israel after saying so she asked "isnt that where jesus lives?" when i said sarcasticly that i met him a week ago on the bus she asked me what was he like XD
also i convinced my brother im batman (seriously)
but im not batman... yea not batman at all...
[sub]im batman[/sub]

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Someone once asked me why you would put sugar in a gas tank, I told them it was a cheaper form a combustible fuel than gas that didnt profit big oil companies. So they went back into the supermarket, bought a few bags of sugar and filled their gas tank with it.

the funny thing is, they grew up to be a mechanic.

well, I find it funny anyways.

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
Genuine Evil said:
bears can climb trees and have been known to attack people like that
wow being killed by a bear jumping on you from a tree...

can happen!

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I once convinced my sister that there was a thing called Swedish Fries and that they where made of corn. She had to Google it before she learned I was lying to her. I still remind her of that every now and then. Ah, good times.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
When I was younger (about 9-10) I convinced some friends at school I met Tom Hanks on a bus once. I don't know how I got away with it as it was so clearly bullshit, I mean why would he be on a bus in northern England? Either way, they beleived me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Well when I was a kid, the other kids were gullible to my lies like I had told them wearing a cap while sleeping is good for your hair.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
BestOfWest said:
I convinced a friend that Will Ferrel was the drummer for the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
The fact that they didn't know otherwise now validates that person's execution.

Flea shall devour your soul!

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
theartknife said:
i taught younger kids in Sunday school when i was a teenager, does that count?
Yes, yes it does.

My girlfriend had a good one recently where she convinced some noobs on Guild Wars that the wings from Aion are an elite interrupt.

... Guess you hadda be there. And know guild wars

Soupy George

Ejerkashun Prufshnal
Jan 8, 2010
About ten years ago I convinced my line manager that computer cables needed to be straightened periodically to prevent bottlenecks in data flow. "You see," said I, "as everyone knows, digital data is made of ones and zeroes. As the zeroes are round, they move along fairly freely, but the ones stick out at one end and so they get caught on each other and bunch up. If you pull the cables straight once in a while it stops this happening."

As I'm too honest for my own good I confessed my deceitfulness, but only after she'd sat nodding for a few seconds.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I've convinced people that I'm from the future before. Apparently I have that look about me. Talking about things that haven't happened yet in the past tense helps.

Mrrrgggrlllrrrg

Jun 21, 2010
That the PROTECT IP Act will destroy/cripple the internet, its not true but people believe anything you feed them as long it strikes the right chords to their deep seated fears of impotence.

So far the lulz have been pretty great.

darkcalling

Sep 29, 2011
My dad did this to my mom once.

They were driving to Montana and passed some silos, naturally they weren't all the same size and my mom was confused by this.

Dad told her that they were all the same size. Mom pointed out that weren't and dad claimed that they were telescopic. They got taller as you filled them.

He didn't think she believed him until he caught her telling some friends about them at a party a couple years later.

When he told her he'd made it up she slapped him and didn't speak to him for the rest of the night. They've been divorced for years (not cuz of this) and he still won't let her forget that one.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
I convinced two girls that one of them didn't exist.

It was really easy, you just never make eye contact with one of them and act confused when the one you are talking to mentions them.

CorruptCor3

May 17, 2010
Me and my friend managed to convince our common friend that District 9 was a real-life documentary....while watching District 9 in theaters.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Colour-Scientist said:
OP: I don't make a habit of convincing people of bullshit, although, I did convince a friend once that 'Bad Touch' by The Bloodhound Gang was originally a Leonard Cohen song. That's about it though.
I'm trying that today. Thank you.

OT: I managed to convince my mother that I gave over a grand in cash to a man outside Ulster Bank so he could lodge it for me because I didn't know how to.
I do this kind of thing all the time, and the success rate has led me to suspect that my family and friends think I may be slightly retarded.