What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
DannyJBeckett said:
Game companies? Activision, unless it's one of their really old games.

Companies in general? McDonalds, Kraft, Trebor and Cadbury's

I don't buy from Cadbury's & Trebor because they let themselves get bought by Kraft, and I don't by from Kraft because they bought Cadbury's & Trebor, then closed down a British factory even though they promised to keep it open in their initial buy-out less than 2 months earlier.
Also don't forget that Kraft is owned by a Tobacco company, though most major producers are.

Actually... pretty much everything I buy... happens to be, unfortunately.

However, I can't not get my Digornios... though I'll stop with the Oreo's, barely get them anyway.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
Exxon. If you need to know why, read up on it here:
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill[/link]
Even now, 22 years later, if I'm out of gas and I see an Exxon station, I keep driving.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
navyjeff said:
Even now, 22 years later, if I'm out of gas and I see an Exxon station, I keep driving.
Planning on avoiding British Petroleum as well?

BP did after all do the Gulf Oil Spill... knowingly knowing that something HORRIBLE would happen with their poorly maintained equipment and cheap shortcuts.

Rich companies make money off of what people buy, and a Gas company owns food and water and energy and ice cream and whatever else that's popular... sometimes you have to accept that you'll choose when, but you won't "boycott" them because it won't do much at all without a majority in the first place.

If you need gas, you'd better stop.

---

Edit:

Also... gas stations aren't usually owned by companies anymore, they are independent for the most part, as it's cheaper, and Exxon DOES send their unbranded gas and branded gas to OTHER gas stations... that's how they make their money.

Never know if your Speedway had a shipment of Exxon unbranded gas.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
I wouldn't say refuse, but I don't buy Square Enix games or Dynasty Warriors games because their not my thing.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Apple ... seriously I'm tired of the resurgence. They want to be different, but they aren't. They're aspiring to be m$. There was a difference in the early 90's and now it's just pathetic. They want to be different and underground, but they've simply become overpriced garbage just like lucky jeans.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
I happen to have a list stored on my computer. It contains companies other than game devs/publishers, as well as reasons for the boycott. The major chunk was a list I got off some website about a year ago of companies that stole personal info from Facebook.
Apple
Church of Scientology
Disney
Goldman Sachs
Halliburton
Lockheed-Martin Corp
SONY CORPORATION
Sprint
USPS
Viacom
A.C. Nielsen
Agilent Technologies
Macrovision
Baker & McKenzie
Bertelsmann Media
Boeing
Cisco Systems
Cox Enterprises
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Deutsche Telekom
Duracell
Ernst & Young
Fujitsu
HBO & Company
Hilton Hospitality
Hitachi
HP
IBM
Intel
Intuit
Levi Strauss & Co.
Lucasfilm
Lucent
Lucent Technologies
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co
Mcafee
MetLife
Mitsubishi
Motorola
Northrop Grumman
Novell
Nvidia
O?Melveny & Myers
Oracle Corp
Pepsi Cola
Procter and Gamble
Random House
Raytheon
Road Runner RRWE
Seagate
Sega
Siemens AG
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
The Hague
Time Warner Telecom
Turner Broadcasting system
Unisys
United Nations
Univision
Vodafone
Wells Fargo
Xerox PARC
(^For stealing personal information)
Activision (wanting to charge for MP)
InfinityWard (MW2's restrictions on MP, modding, etc.)
UbiSoft (DRM & stealing personal info)
Bethesda (selling buggy, broken, and unfinished games)
Facebook (Founder giving away information on FB users)
Warner Music Group (Overzealous copyright claims)
Blizzard (DRM, endorsing sweatshops)
Target (Funding anti-gay politics)
FedEX (Funding Fox News)
AT&T (Spying for government & stealing personal info)
Coca-Cola (Trademarking a colour)
Treyarch (Selling broken games)
Very hard to buy anything with a list like that. And I seem to forget that a lot of these companies are on here...I have an iPod >.>

Also, I will be buying Skyrim, despite Bethesda being on that list...I think it was the Gamebryo engine's fault for their games being, technologically speaking, shit.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
instantbenz said:
Apple ... seriously I'm tired of the resurgence. They want to be different, but they aren't. They're aspiring to be m$. There was a difference in the early 90's and now it's just pathetic. They want to be different and underground, but they've simply become overpriced garbage just like lucky jeans.
Stop insulting Microsoft, anyone who labels them as m$ has no idea what the company is truly about, what it has done, the sacrifices its made, and... well as it relates to you, the massive impact they had on game innovation, oh and WINDOWS.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
JCBFGD said:
I happen to have a list stored on my computer. It contains companies other than game devs/publishers, as well as reasons for the boycott. The major chunk was a list I got off some website about a year ago of companies that stole personal info from Facebook.
Apple
Church of Scientology
Disney
Goldman Sachs
Halliburton
Lockheed-Martin Corp
SONY CORPORATION
Sprint
USPS
Viacom
A.C. Nielsen
Agilent Technologies
Macrovision
Baker & McKenzie
Bertelsmann Media
Boeing
Cisco Systems
Cox Enterprises
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Deutsche Telekom
Duracell
Ernst & Young
Fujitsu
HBO & Company
Hilton Hospitality
Hitachi
HP
IBM
Intel
Intuit
Levi Strauss & Co.
Lucasfilm
Lucent
Lucent Technologies
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co
Mcafee
MetLife
Mitsubishi
Motorola
Northrop Grumman
Novell
Nvidia
O?Melveny & Myers
Oracle Corp
Pepsi Cola
Procter and Gamble
Random House
Raytheon
Road Runner RRWE
Seagate
Sega
Siemens AG
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
The Hague
Time Warner Telecom
Turner Broadcasting system
Unisys
United Nations
Univision
Vodafone
Wells Fargo
Xerox PARC
(^For stealing personal information)
Activision (wanting to charge for MP)
InfinityWard (MW2's restrictions on MP, modding, etc.)
UbiSoft (DRM & stealing personal info)
Bethesda (selling buggy, broken, and unfinished games)
Facebook (Founder giving away information on FB users)
Warner Music Group (Overzealous copyright claims)
Blizzard (DRM, endorsing sweatshops)
Target (Funding anti-gay politics)
FedEX (Funding Fox News)
AT&T (Spying for government & stealing personal info)
Coca-Cola (Trademarking a colour)
Treyarch (Selling broken games)
Very hard to buy anything with a list like that. And I seem to forget that a lot of these companies are on here...I have an iPod >.>

Also, I will be buying Skyrim, despite Bethesda being on that list...I think it was the Gamebryo engine's fault for their games being, technologically speaking, shit.
You will never fly in an aircraft then....

EVER.

Else you are technically supporting them...

Also, it's almost impossible for you not to buy from those companies ever because they have so many subsidaries and sub-companies that are never named the same and many of them probably own stock or leading holdings in your favorite products such as TV's, food, drinks, BEER even...

You uh... you have a lot of work cut out for you to research all their holdings.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
Delsana said:
navyjeff said:

BP did after all do the Gulf Oil Spill... knowingly knowing that something HORRIBLE would happen with their poorly maintained equipment and cheap shortcuts.

Rich companies make money off of what people buy, and a Gas company owns food and water and energy and ice cream and whatever else that's popular... sometimes you have to accept that you'll choose when, but you won't "boycott" them because it won't do much at all without a majority in the first place.

As a matter of fact, yes, I avoid BP stations now as well. I know it's merely a symbolic gesture since gasoline is a fungible quantity and I've seen gas stations fill up from all manner and logos of truck.

I didn't mention that I also minimize my driving, plan routes that allow me to avoid filling at those gas stations, and drive as fuel efficient of a car as I can afford. I know I'm in a minority around here; I don't care. I'm doing it because I said I wouldn't until they fixed the mess and fixed the policies that made the mess to begin with.

So, until they do, I will walk a mile past BP and Exxon stations with a gas can in my hand if that's what it takes to avoid filling up there.
[/old man rant off]

Feb 19, 2010
Disney. their games are not games, more like vomiting with code.
EA aswell. with the exception of slightly Mad studios, DICE and Bioware.
Ubisoft.Not after my Ass Creed 2 & brotherhood fiasco. fuck yer DRM ubi, Fuck it to hell.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
Delsana said:
JCBFGD said:

EVER.

Also, it's almost impossible for you not to buy from those companies ever because they have so many subsidaries and sub-companies that are never named the same and many of them probably own stock or leading holdings in your favorite products such as TV's, food, drinks, BEER even...

You uh... you have a lot of work cut out for you to research all their holdings.
Yeah, I learned that my Converse shoes were Nike made...I really should look up all their subsidiaries.

Also, thanks for telling me about the airplane thing. I'll just take boats! I hate planes anyway...

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
navyjeff said:
Delsana said:
navyjeff said:

As a matter of fact, yes I avoid BP stations now too. I know it's merely a symbolic gesture since gasoline is a fungible quantity and I've seen gas stations fill up from all manner and logos of truck.

I didn't mention that I also minimize my driving, plan routes that allow me to avoid filling at those gas stations, and drive as fuel efficient of a car as I can afford. I know I'm in a minority around here; I don't care. I'm doing it because I said I wouldn't until they fixed the mess and fixed the policies that made the mess to begin with.

So, until they do, I will walk a mile past BP and Exxon stations with a gas can in my hand if that's what it takes to avoid filling up there.
[/old man rant off]
Your dedication is admired, but you probably support them without knowing, to be honest.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
JCBFGD said:
Delsana said:
JCBFGD said:

EVER.

Yeah, I learned that my Converse shoes were Nike made...I really should look up all their subsidiaries.

Also, thanks for telling me about the airplane thing. I'll just take boats! I hate planes anyway...
Don't buy Oreo's by the way, they and 99% of everything you eat is owned by tobacco companies, which probably stole your information too.

Um... yeah... yeah... wow that's a lot of companies.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Delsana said:
instantbenz said:
Stop insulting Microsoft, anyone who labels them as m$ has no idea what the company is truly about, what it has done, the sacrifices its made, and... well as it relates to you, the massive impact they had on game innovation, oh and WINDOWS.
It's short form. Do you call everyone by their entire name whenever you address them? Grow up.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
I'll never drive a Honda, wear Björn Borg underwear, get another Razer mouse, use a graphic tablet that isn't made by Wacom and most of all I'll never own an Apple product.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
instantbenz said:
Delsana said:
instantbenz said:
It's short form. Do you call everyone by their entire name whenever you address them? Grow up.
Actually yes, to be formal and polite, but it's not shortform as its not just MS, it's taking the time to click the shift key and the dollar sign WHICH MEANS you are using it to insult them... no one who uses that identifier has ever done anything else with it.