What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
Well , its not really that stupid , if you liked a compagny is the past , and as a fan bought games from them and as time goes on feel like they are screwing you over , then a PERSONAL boycott seems logical. As long as people don't try to force other people to see things as they do it's okay.

OT : Sega , i feel like sega should just close down shop , they juat aren't doing it for me no more.Also i refuse to buy anything square enix that isn't Final fantasy or Star ocean ( because i feel that can't do anything else properly ).i also don't think ill be buying anything Blizzard makes any time soon , but im mostly a console gamer so ,Meh.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Is this restricted to gaming? Or just companies/brand names in general?
If it's the latter then the only company I don't buy from is Nike, for a couple of reasons, the main being that the products are ridiculously overpriced for what they are/how much they pay the manufacturers.

If it's just restricted to gaming then I buy from any company.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
No_Remainders said:
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
You, sir, hit the nail on the head.

I don't see the point in not buying something because of who made it. That's just utterly retarded. I think that one should buy something based on its quality.
Ignoring who made something is what's utterly retarded. It shows a deep lack of understanding of how money works.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
DJDarque said:
migo said:
Put as many words in my mouth as you need to make yourself feel better. I'm finished with this conversation.
So finished that you had to spend effort to let me know? If you were actually finished you just wouldn't have responded.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
Davey Woo said:
Is this restricted to gaming? Or just companies/brand names in general?
If it's the latter then the only company I don't buy from is Nike, for a couple of reasons, the main being that the products are ridiculously overpriced for what they are/how much they pay the manufacturers.

If it's just restricted to gaming then I buy from any company.
I figure the lists could end up getting pretty big if it's for anything.

AzureRaven

Jul 21, 2011
Odd that you mention a JQ episode and then go on a rant like this...which...is the thing he was trying to stop.

It's absolutely ridiculous to avoid a company just because of minor business practices. And yes, they're minor right now. If we see something major, then it's called for. Avoiding games on a case by case basis is much more effective. If you avoid a DRM plagued game and go for one where they didn't bother with it, what do you think that tells em? Buying nothing won't help, buying the right things will.

And even then, you'll miss out on some great games if you just try and dismiss a company like that. Heck, I don't like EA, but I'm still gonna buy Mass Effect 3. Bethesda may have done some stupid things, but I'm still gonna buy Skyrim. If you start picking and choosing like that, you narrow your selection too much.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
That is a LOT of great games your missing out on then. Your not making any difference either because millions of people still do buy their games, so i dont see the point of boycotting games.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
I have a long-standing boycott against two companies:

SONY: yes, I'm still bitter about the whole Sega/Dreamcast thing. PR and lawyers may get you market dominance, but money can't buy you love (sometimes).

Apple: for making really crappy PC software and walled-garden hardware.

Oh, and also I don't watch Jimquisition. :)

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
krazykidd said:
DJDarque said:

Well , its not really that stupid , if you liked a compagny is the past , and as a fan bought games from them and as time goes on feel like they are screwing you over , then a PERSONAL boycott seems logical. As long as people don't try to force other people to see things as they do it's okay.
That makes more sense than OP's reasoning, but perhaps the company starts making products that intrest you once more. Would you still refuse to buy their products?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
migo said:
No_Remainders said:
DJDarque said:

You, sir, hit the nail on the head.

I don't see the point in not buying something because of who made it. That's just utterly retarded. I think that one should buy something based on its quality.
Ignoring who made something is what's utterly retarded. It shows a deep lack of understanding of how money works.
Because claiming something then not supporting totally makes you awesome, right? [/sarcasm]

I will only refuse to buy something from someone who has done me wrong. So far, there're no companies that have done any wrong by me, and until there are, I'm not making a judgement call based on who made something.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Dell for obvious reasons
and Sony for removing all kinds of features in a desperate attempt to combat piracy.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
SilverJin02 said:
Odd that you mention a JQ episode and then go on a rant like this...which...is the thing he was trying to stop.
No, what he said was if you're going to boycott, actually boycott. So I'm asking what people actually do boycott themselves.

It's absolutely ridiculous to avoid a company just because of minor business practices. And yes, they're minor right now.
Some of us who are a little smarter want to stop it before it becomes major.

If we see something major, then it's called for. Avoiding games on a case by case basis is much more effective. If you avoid a DRM plagued game and go for one where they didn't bother with it, what do you think that tells em? Buying nothing won't help, buying the right things will.
Depends on the company. With Ubisoft that's what I do. With Activision-Blizzard and Bethesda and id it's quite different. Besides, not buying from the company because I think one of the head guys is a total douche and I don't want them getting any of my money for any reason is pretty solid.

And even then, you'll miss out on some great games if you just try and dismiss a company like that. Heck, I don't like EA, but I'm still gonna buy Mass Effect 3. Bethesda may have done some stupid things, but I'm still gonna buy Skyrim. If you start picking and choosing like that, you narrow your selection too much.
Game selection is massive, it's hardly narrowed at all.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
DJDarque said:

I couldn't agree more, and can I please note how apt your profile picture is in helping punctuate your view? It's very efficient.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
None. If the game looks good, I will buy it, and if it actually is good then HOORAY FOR QUALITY!

DRM is sometimes a deal breaker to me though.

Miles000

is most likly drunk righyt noiw!
Apr 18, 2010
migo said:
Money:
If I think a product is worth what is asked for it, I will buy it.
If not, I wont buy it.

I don't see how an understanding of how money works has anything to do with boycotting who made it...

I personally don't like Activision either. But if they publish a quality game that I think is worth buying, then they can have my money, regardless.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
migo said:
Yeah, I'm not sold on Microtransactions either, they're way too similar to monthly fees. At the same time I do appreciate a game that's free to play to start and makes its revenue from people who like it enough to make those transactions - as long as said transactions are for added depth in the game rather than to give people who buy stuff an advantage. Depends on how it's handled.
A good sign that a game has poorly implemented microtransations is that it changes the balance of the game. Reasonably priced cosmetic items, reskins, or things one could reasonably get for free by playing normally are generally fine. For the most part I think TF2 is a good example of how this should work, but the mystery box nonsense is what puts me off so much. The influence points in League of Legends are also good, rewarding players for playing and allowing them to purchase additional characters.

migo said:
I don't feel like accommodating short attention spans, particularly when people with short attention spans usually just read the title and respond anyway.
I respect and encourage your desire not to accommodate fools, but I'm saying it could be improved with better formatting and/or some trimming. When listing things maybe bold the item or use numbers or bullet points. I'd hate to digress too much and derail the thread so I'm done with constructive criticism for now.