What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

MrTwo

Aug 9, 2011
Fieldy409 said:
That is a LOT of great games your missing out on then. Your not making any difference either because millions of people still do buy their games, so i dont see the point of boycotting games.
Agreed. You are most likely not going to make a difference, because most people will buy games if they want them, as proved by the majority of replies in this thread. Boycotting companies for personal reasons only makes you miss out on lots of potentially great games, and possibly make other people miss out on potentially great games. Sure if its your opinion, boycott all these companies,I don't like some of them either, but definitely don't try and convince other people to miss out on games as well.
Also, OP, you seem like the kind of person who just likes hating on big corporations. If a company makes a mistake or even a few mistakes, is that really enough to start hating on them so much? Is it really worth it?

Dasrufken

Dec 1, 2010
only company i fully boycott is apple because i really hate the fact that they manage to brainwash so many people into thinking that their crap is better...

Fiad

Apr 3, 2010
dragonslayer32 said:
Sony. Everything they make is poor quality. I have been through 3 PS1s, 4PS2s, a sony laptop, 2 PSPs multiple sony phones and a sony TV. All broke within 2 years of having them. Sony's answer to warranty? 'Give them a reconditioned one!'
You must have some terrible luck. Had my PS1 since Christmas of the year it launched, only broke recently because someone kicked it. Have had PS2 since it came out, still works like a charm. Bought a PSP used off of eBay about a year after they came out, works fine.

But as for the topic, I don't care much about the company that makes the game. If it looks good I will get it. The only thing that matters about the company to me is their track record. If they make a bunch of bad games I will be wary about purchasing from them. If they have a history of good games, will most like make my decision a bit easier.

Zac Smith

Apr 25, 2010
If I enjoy a companies product then I will buy it, I don't see how a bad experience or 2 should ruin what fun you could still get out of it. OP said he is angry about Bobby Kotick talking about milking gamers, that's becuase people talk the talk but can't walk the walk, like Jim Sterling said, people need to follow through, I'm willing to put money on OP having most Call Of Duties and will get MW3

minus_273c

Knackered Old Shit
Nov 21, 2009
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
Got to agree with this.

I am strongly biased towards getting things through Steam; it makes it much easier to manage games and update them.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Apple, since their stuff cannot seem to work right at all after (both my ipods have had issues).

Blizzard, because, well, their games suck. Diablo is the only one that was ok, and it got boring after a few hours.

Bioware, same case. Dragon Age was horrid, and Mass Effect is too boring to get into.

Actually, it mostly just seems to be not buying stuff that sucks.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
migo said:
id Software - kinda moot, I wasn't interested in any of their games since Unreal came out, but he's kinda like Bobby Kotick, talking about milking consumers.
And that was where I quit reading. If you're going to insult a company, and declare you aren't going to buy their games, at least figure out what games they have or haven't made.

megajon

Apr 6, 2010
I don't buy from Apple i tend to find there stuff is more over piced then everyone else and plus I have no real need for any apple stuff. Everyone raves to me about how awesome thee iphone is yet they break so easily where my android phone is much better, cheaper on contract with more txt and calls then they get. I just don't understand the need for Apple products unless its iMac that I understand.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
Well only the second post and you've hot the nail on the head, Buy games based on quality not the company that makes them

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Sony.

When they started loading their junk with things like the Root-kit viruses, intentionally damaging peoples property and getting off scot-free, I lost all trust in them.

LeafofStone

Nov 19, 2009
Activision and any game with DRM that inhibits the player from actually enjoying the game at hand (I'm lookin at you SPORE, AssCreed:Brohood, Diablo 3)

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
In the case of heavy DRM games (such limited activation online), I wait atleast till the price comes down. I treat such games as glorified rentals. Not worth full price, but 15 bucks is fine.

No company is blacklisted perse. I pay what I think is worth it, considering all the cons.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
DJDarque's avatar just makes the bitchfight against him hilarious. I'm with her on this one. Seriously, just because of one or two things some company did to violate your trust, you'll never buy something from them again? Seriously? Oh noes! Valve put a offensive dick-hat in TF2, better not buy anything with their name on it! EA's lame advertising campaigns offended me! I'll never touch their shit again even though it's all just garbage anyway!

Oh, look... El-Shaddai's advertisements are annoying and intrusive! Better search the company who makes the game, and boycott them too!

What's next? Gonna boycott your supermarket because they pay their employees shit wages?

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
migo said:
No_Remainders said:
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

You, sir, hit the nail on the head.

I don't see the point in not buying something because of who made it. That's just utterly retarded. I think that one should buy something based on its quality.
Ignoring who made something is what's utterly retarded. It shows a deep lack of understanding of how money works.
To quote a great man "Its like not eating a hotdog because the cook is the boston strangler, you can still enjoy the hotdog just try not to look at him"
I don't care what the company did, if they made a product that I enjoy then they deserve my money, thats how it SHOULD work.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
no has earned that retarded title from me yet since its the games themselves that i care about not who makes them

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
Is it just games? Cause I try to avoid chocolate products made by nestle (I still love their ice tea) and when I buy fruit, I don't get bananas from dole or chiquita. To those that think boycotting is stupid, I personally don't see why, it sounds like a perfectly reasonably form of stating your dislike of a certain company's practices, when it comes to companies after all you vote with your wallet.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
migo said:
Bobby Kotick openly saying that he figures gamers can be milked for cash.
He is right, people stupid enough to buy yearly sequels to bad sports games have proven that. I don't know the details of the article in which he said this, but if he's found a way to sucker the idiots out of money then I respect him.

migo said:
I just won't buy any specific game that comes with online only DRM.
Online only DRM is the way of the future. We're heading towards a civilisation wherein every electronic device is linked to each other, oh wait! We're already there! Consider your internet connection and how often it's been down for as long as you've had it, if it's long enough to make this game unplayable then might I suggest changing your isp?

migo said:
Bethesda - their litigous behaviour just rubs me the wrong way, they're suing Mojang over Scrolls, which is pretty absurd, and their attempt to squash Interplay over the Fallout MMO is pretty crappy as well. I'd rather companies focus on making good games, rather than suing other people who may (or may not) make good games.
Learn copyright law, a nice gentleman has posted about it earlier.

migo said:
Sony - I actually really used to like them, and quite strongly supported them. Then they decided to do a complete 180 on everything I liked them for. Since the PS1 they've supported homebrew devs in various ways, and did an even better job with the PS3 by including support at launch. Then they reversed it, and sued the people who tried to bring it back, and got a little too fascist for my liking by getting some stupid German judge to order the police to raid an individual's home over it. Bye Sony, was nice knowing ya!
Yes, I agree that Sony suddenly turning around and removing homebrew content from the PS3 was a complete betrayal of trust. At the same time, it's perfectly reasonable to then sue anyone who tries to mess with the console after they've made this decision, it's a breach of their new Terms of Service.
Oh, and Sony don't know you, have never known you and couldn't care less about you. Although you may get a farewell note if you e-mail them, try that.
Germans are awesome, they make sweet cars.

migo said:
Apple - roughly the same reason as Sony, except they've been crappy ever since Steve Jobs came back, and having Jason Chen's house raided over the iPhone 4 leak is also too fascist for my liking.
It's theft of a prototype, this "Jason Chen" fellow will be made an example of, he'll most likely get a long prison sentence and/or a monumentally large fine.

Still, I don't buy their stuff due to the stupid prices.

migo said:
Skyrim was on my buy list, and I had a friend who was thinking about it, they're no longer doing so.
More fool you.
migo said:
Valve's also going to end up there, I already don't like Steam, but they seemed to balance things out with support for free mods if you own a source game. That balance is getting strongly shifted against them.
Please expand.

I ignored a few paragraphs so let's give some blanket statements shall we? The three or four people you convinced into not buying blu-ray players or not buying diablo will not, in any way, affect sales. These companies track their sales using units of thousands and your group of friends is not going to register on their charts.

As for my personal opinions, who my money goes to, who the company fucks over and the personal opinions of the people running the company are of no consequence to me. The only thing that really impacts my purchasing is the price and quality of the products.