What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
Though that's partially true some companies are known to have quite a few bad games known even by reviews and a lot of people can agree but i don't refuse to buy a product because of a company i refuse to buy a game that doesn't keep my interest or isn't anything new to my expectations and not based on overall general opinions.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.
/thread

Personally I don't have a company I refuse to buy from, but more a series of "features" that I'll refuse to collaborate with if they're in my games. Namely:

* Always on DRM for PC. I only buy stuff on steam, so I really don't need more DRM. If the game has always on DRM (coughubisoftcough), I just see it as unnessacary and overkill. Also the idea that I won't be able to play those games if my net ever goes down sucks. At least I can use Steam in offline mode. So no purchase on PC there, I'll get it on a console instead.

* Censored. I'm Australian, so we get the rough, unlubed end of the stick in that regard. If the game has "missing" content due to censorship, I'll go to great ends to find and purchase the unedited version. I don't blame the company; if I want the game, I'll get it, but I want to see it the way the intended me to see it.

That's about it really. I'm a gamer. I play games because I enjoy them. If a game is bad, THEN i'll condemn it. Ultimately the game itself is what matters to me most, not the marketing/development practises/whiny overprivledged community/media spin.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Bethesda = Make a fallout that isn't "Post-apocalyptic Oblivion" and that has some technical stability, then we'll talk.
Ubisoft = "Listen, I have this amazing idea for a drm"
Obsidian Entertainment = BUUUUGS!

Sep 14, 2009
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
QFT

the only thing your doing is screwing yourself out of a potentially great product.

sure i might not like/frown upon some companies, but if they clearly have a great product that i know i will love,especially above other rivaling companies products, why in the hell would i not get one?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
No one. If I'm not happy with something, I don't buy it. I don't refuse to buy something good because I hate something that only applies to other stuff they make. The closest I come to boycotting is Apple, and that's just because their shit is low-grade technology shoved into a shiny case and sold at a premium price and their ethics are essentially non-existant. That stops me from buying their stuff, but if they released something that solved all of those problems I wouldn't refuse to buy it.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I'm almost tempted when it comes to EA games, all the project 10 dollar crap and the day one DLC's are unbearable. However I can't really help but want BF3

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Apple. I dont like how steve jobs just overcharges for stuff that literally no one can justify such a fucking insane price. He bends people over, says "LOOK AT THE SHINEY!" and the apple sheep give him 100 quid for a DVD burner that costs 20 ANYWHERE else. I dont understand. What possesses people to burn money like this on junk that isnt even that great? I could build THREE better PC's than buy one apple.

Shydrow

Feb 8, 2010
I see we missed EA that is fine it isn't like they haven't done anything that you have listed.

You might as well list every company and put the reason "They did something" down seeing as you have not really made any valid points. Cool Activision has a herp derp CEO. I'm glade that it is a PUBLISHER and not a developer otherwise i might be worried that the games would be shit as well. [CoD is not shit it is just not entertaining after 4+ years of doing pretty much the same mechanics of gameplay]

I think the main issue is how do we harm the publisher for being an ass hole but support the developer cause we enjoy their game.

Vakz

Crafting Stars
Nov 22, 2010
Ubisoft and Activison. Ubisoft due to having the most horrible DRM (the majority of the games from Ubisoft I do own no longer works unless I crack them or have to use some other horrible workaround) and Activision due to greed (but to be honest, Activision hasn't released anything I liked since CoD 4 anyway, so that's not really an issue).

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
DJDarque said:

This, a thousand times over. If someone is selling a game I want to buy, I'll damn well buy it.

migo said:
It's absolutely ridiculous to avoid a company just because of minor business practices. And yes, they're minor right now.
Some of us who are a little smarter want to stop it before it becomes major.
Why have you got to be a dick to everyone who disagrees with you? Stop telling people you're smarter and they're stupid simply because they don't believe in your freedom fight against the opression of gamers.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Gardenia said:
Bethesda = Make a fallout that isn't "Post-apocalyptic Oblivion" and that has some technical stability, then we'll talk.
Ubisoft = "Listen, I have this amazing idea for a drm"
Obsidian Entertainment = BUUUUGS!
I'm sorry what?
You refuse to buy from Bethesda for something that doesn't really happen, and you refuse to buy from Ubisoft and Obsidian.

So you have missed out on the fallouts and assassins creed, and going by your logic Skyrim.
You are crippling yourself there.

Hristo Tzonkov

Apr 5, 2010
I don't refuse to buy from anyone.I just consider certain products too crap to buy.Not worth a shitty boycott.You sound pretty hardcore but you know millions of people worldwide beat you in your hardcore boycott and they are called pirates.I'd say /thread but it's too mainstream so I'm boycotting it.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I refuse to buy from Best Buy. They are over priced, their employees are untrained and never know what I'm talking about, and they never have what I'm looking for anyways. I haven't been into Best Buy in about 3 years now.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
Apple. I dont like how steve jobs just overcharges for stuff that literally no one can justify such a fucking insane price. He bends people over, says "LOOK AT THE SHINEY!" and the apple sheep give him 100 quid for a DVD burner that costs 20 ANYWHERE else. I dont understand. What possesses people to burn money like this on junk that isnt even that great? I could build THREE better PC's than buy one apple.

Yeah, this too. I installed Mac OS X on my 5 year old PC and it ran just fine. It was even an AMD processor, which made it a pain in the ass, but I did it, damn it. Steve Jobs can get bent.

ksn0va

Jun 9, 2008
Bethesda. Not because of the "Scrolls" thing. I just don't like their games anymore.

boyvirgo666

May 12, 2009
Uh...I dont usually buy from activision i guess...
The Rage thing to me is a bad not because they cut a mission if you get it used but because they feel that a whole chunk of the game isnt important to the story and they can cut it to punish the used market. Sorry my friends but that doesnt fly with me. It suggests to me that they didnt see the games story as important or ahead of making money. So yeah im not buying it. Bethesda makes me uncomfortable with some things they did but really they have no chance of successfully suing mojang and interplay was a badly run company to begin with...and i want skyrim.
I dont generally stop buying from whole companies...except Apple. I hate apple.

Now if we meant any company i wish i had an easier way to stop buying from Monsanto. but that might not happen right now.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Ubisoft.
Blizzard.
Activision.

Don't play any of their games and don't plan on doing.

Blizz and Activision know they can release any old shit and it's customers will lap it up (I give you ... Cataclysm).