What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

SoldierC4

Oct 8, 2008
Well the only company I truly dislike would probably be Apple, because of grossly over-priced hardware, that becomes completely obsolete after less than a year. Than on top of that, the same hardware and software is far to restricted in terms of what can be done with it, which only raises more questions, since if you sell the exact same hardware, the hardware should be even cheaper to produce (compared to a Windows machine) and the software should be cheaper to produce, since it only has to be written to work on a few devices.

That plus the latest thing they've done in Europe by banning the Galaxy tab because it looks "similar" has just pushed me to the point of "wtf Apple, cut the shit".

Maybe Activision, I would buy from them, if they released a semi-interesting game for once. That isn't just a copy paste (looking at Call of Duty).

On the other end of the spectrum though, I absolutely love Logitech. So far they have stood by all of the warranties on my products 100% and I have never had a problem with their customer service. That doesn't mean i'm blind when I buy products, I still shop around, but I give them bonus points for their support.

Also, it's not stupid to refuse to buy something from a company because of their practices, if someone hates a company, it's because the company did something wrong. While a full blown boycott may not be necessary, it's still not ok for a company to get off without some punishment. Otherwise no progress will be made.

Sinathor

Mar 16, 2011
I generally don't buy anything from EA or Activision.

I avoid Ubisoft a bit but I don't exactly boycott them or anything. Blizzard is steadily going to my "do not buy" list.

I buy games published by Bethesda, but I don't buy games developed by Bethesda because I just generally don't like their design choices in most of their games.

What comes to publishers, well, I am one of those persons who actually care what happens behind the curtains. Partly because I work in the game industry, and partly because I actually have a sense of morale. I just think that players deserve better than always on DRM and overpriced pointless DLC.

JackyG

Jun 26, 2011
Its a very grey area when it comes to platforms. I tend to generally play singleplayer only so things like the EA pass havent affected me. Im not a fan of the RAGE cut offs for single player though. all this talk of buisiness practice rather than the passion for what theyre making really kills the joy of videogames and discussing them. its very cold and sterile and it makes me feel like im just a money cow to be studied for the most profitable response. Games pr could learn a lot from other media.... Its boring.

Dirzzit

Apr 16, 2009
Disney

When they were creating classic movies (although some ripoffs) it was good. Now? It's all crap.

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
I avoid games made by Turbine & Ubisoft. I can't stand Turbine's design team and Ubisoft's DRM can go suck an egg.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
um OP, that is a huge list
and a lot of nit-picky complaints
Game companies do not exist to serve you, they exist to make money.
If they don't do stupid things like that, they won't make any money.

A very wise friend of mine once told me that refusing to buy things because you don't like the big boys up top is like saying that you won't eat an egg because a chicken once scratched you.
you can still get satisfaction from eating the egg, eggs are tasty!

MgsTheFury

Dec 2, 2009
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.

That sums up what I wanted to say perfectly.

Aesthetical Quietus

Mar 4, 2009
I refuse to buy Activision games. Other products get bought based on quality but Activision I just hate.
Ubisoft's DRM is quickly pushing them along this path but I don't think they'll ever reach the stage where I refuse, only products that have that absurd DRM will be avoided.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Acti-vision, Apple, Blizzard ( and anything with extraneous vowels before or after it's name. )
are on my epic-perma-ban boycott blacklist, i will NEVER buy anything from them ever again even if they're selling the last bottle of oxygen on the planet

all three company's have annoyed me to the point of multiplenerdragegasam on multiple occasions
( and yes, for the purposes of this context, that is a multiplexing order of magnitude multiplier. )

i refuse to buy an xbox, purely because anything that can run on an xbox can run on my pc, better and the only reason to buy it is to give M$ more $ and they don't need encouraging.

other than that, i'm not too bothered

DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
^ I hear Mrs. Lovett makes some awesome pies
maby you should try one.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Most of the brand clothings. I dislike walking with advertisement from some company on my clothing. I prefer bland gray clothing anyway, and most brand clothing doesn't look like anything I would wear even without the brand on it. So no loss there.

Then there's Trust, from the computer peripherals. I've heard so many bad things about them, and my brother's Trust headset died in moments, so I won't buy from those guys.

Any beer or wine brand. I don't drink.

Any deodorant brand that makes advertisement. They tend to be much more expensive in the shop, and I don't care much for what brand deodorant I use so long it keeps me smelling fresh.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
I'm considering EA... seeing as how they kill everything.

If they are selling bottles of oxygen that you need and it's the last... you will buy it, that's just ignorant... and through that ignorance it kind of undermines your entire case.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I try not to buy products from Koch industries. I don't support companies trying to subvert my country's politics and judicial systems.

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
In the larger scheme of things game publishers & developers, even the particularly evil activision, have nothing compared to the larger corporate villains.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
WalMart. If that's not clear enough, its because they put so many other businesses out of business. Did you know they make more money than the entire country of Sweeden?! That's absolutely insane. So I buy my games at Best-buy or Future Shop as much as possible. Another one is EB games(also known as Gamestop). I still buy games there but I try not to because when you think about it they really are a monopoly in the gaming business. See this for more details on that:

http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/2010/10/episode-41-revolution.html

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I never buy anything from my local gamestation but thats becuase it smells of male BO and they never have any non preowned PC games. Its kind of grotty.
:<

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
I will buy a game from a company, but I won't buy specific games. Like recent example, I won't be buying rage. All because of its take on "project $10." I'm not a fan of it when it goes to the extreme of cutting content out.

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
I don´t boycott a game just because it was made by a specific company. No, I boycott them if they are crap or if there´s no reason for a specific game to exist (Many supermario games,
Bioshock 2 etc.).

Well, I don´t buy Nintendo games since 2003, but that isn´t boycotting, I just don´t have a Wii or a DS, and I´m not planning to get one (again, not boycotting, I´m just happy with my PS3 and PC, and no Nintendo game caught my attencion in a long time).

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
I don't buy any Activison or EA games, although this is pretty damn easy because I don't like anything they make. The developers they bought out on the other hand... well, it's a good thing Gamestop gets all the cash from used games. And considering Ubisoft's new demeanor towards PC gamers, they've reserved themselves a spot on my list as well. Second hand market for the win.