What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I don't buy from Apple.

The blunt reason is that their stuff is freaking expensive for what it offers, mainly a neat design. Frankly I can't understand why the same people who bitchslap Alienware for selling average PCs in neat casings at premium prices are the ones running around with an I-Phone.

Then there is the fact that they have this really wierd company history... Like with kicking Steve out and hiring him back later... And obsurce products like the Newton that just failed horribly but were then later described as "ahead of it's time".

The whole company is just too full of itself to me and far too many pretencious douchebags run around with their apple stuff on display.

Maybe I am too old or have suffered too much microsoft brain-altering-radiation from my Windows to get the appel-craze.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
migo said:
No_Remainders said:
DJDarque said:
No offense, but you sound like you'd be insufferable to be around when it comes to buying anything. If you don't like something don't buy it, but you don't have to spread your hatred to other people.

I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
You, sir, hit the nail on the head.

I don't see the point in not buying something because of who made it. That's just utterly retarded. I think that one should buy something based on its quality.
Ignoring who made something is what's utterly retarded. It shows a deep lack of understanding of how money works.
How exactly does him buying something that he enjoys playing show a lack of comprehension in the use of currency? Yes money may be going to one of your Vendetta tagged companies. But it's also going to the hard working Graphic designers, sound artists and story writers that worked on a quality game he enjoyed. Your reasoning's for boycotting seeming to stem from a want to hate more than a want to change anything for the better

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
None really, If i want a game, I'l but it, If I don't want a game, I wont buy it, as apposed to "boycotting" it.

DonMartin

Apr 2, 2010
McDonalds. Don't know why, I just stopped and havent been to one in the last few years.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Well, EA and Activision. I mind the business practices of both, but in my opinion, they haven't released a decent game in years, so it's not really hard to refuse them my money.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Nobody. I don't give a flying shit who makes it (or publishes it), I buy all games only if I think they're games I enjoy.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
None.

My closest would be Bethesda because it feels like they release games in early Beta testing and then patch them over the years. Far too many bugs and glitches. I very much disagree with this practice, but if the game is fun, I'll still buy it eventually.

Despite being under a new engine, I have zero faith in Skyrim working well and expect to save every 10 minutes. Still gonna buy it though making me a complainer and not a doer.

Prof.Beany

Apr 22, 2011
A lot of that read just came off as uninformed (for lack of a better word) hogwash.

Especially the Bethesda part. Do you know what a legal team does? or the ins and outs of copyright? If Bethesdas legal team DIDNT sue then it could be held against them in later copyright cases regarding the word scrolls (eg. someone makes a game called "the ancient scrolls" or something of the like, they could use the fact that bethesda didnt sue Mojang over the use of the word scrolls etc etc) and the legal team would probably be fired, so theyre just doing their job, the devs have nothing to do with that at all.

Side note on that topic: i raged pretty hard when I saw Notchs blog post "Bethesda are suing us, heres the full story" and then proceeded to blab about pretty much everything that he REALLY wasnt meant to. I swear that guy has no legal sense at all.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
You seem to be a bit quick to jump the gun, it must be a nightmare getting Christmas presents for you, unless you don't celebrate christmas because the Pope endorses it and you don't like his hat.

I am skeptical of publishers like EA, because i know the stuff that they can do, but doesn't mean i won't buy anything they've been affiliated with.

I don't really like EA, but i enjoyed Alice: Madness returns.
Just lighten up a bit.

DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
True words indeed.
Keep fighting the good fight.
:p

snagli

Jan 21, 2011
EA, Nintendo, and the part of Square Enix that makes Final Fantasy.

The other ones deserve my money, as long as, you know, the game is any good.

Gazzoid

May 27, 2011
Again - I'll buy a game from any company so long as I'm interested in it. And if I'm not, I won't. Having said that, apart from Dead Space, I'm not particularly keen on EA and their games.

DerSaryn

Oct 19, 2010
Activison & Blizzard - Last Activision game I bought was CoD 4, but with the recent installments of Moneyprint Warfare they lost any respect I might ever have had for them. Same goes for Blizzard, especially since the announcement of the auctionhouse for Diablo 3. Last Blizzard game I bought was WoW but I stopped playing years ago and have since outgrown their shallow universes, uninspired comic graphics and strong hesitation to innovate anything more than slightly.

I can live with Ubisoft, even with the DRM because with Assassin'S Creed the developed great games, which are fun to play, actually engaging in terms of storyline and are properly researched. Which, to my mind, is quite unique in the gaming industry. My opinion may change in the future, because what they did to Call of Juarez and will be doing to Band of Brothers makes my quite angry.

EA - Moneymilkers, but since the rise of Activisionn & Blizzard, they have somewhat become what Microsoft became after the rise of Apple: a necessary, lesser evil, not half as mad as their competitors. Shame, however, that they bought Bioware and made them develop Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age 2, both which did not live up to the expectations.

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
I refuse to buy anything with Activision written on it. Anything I've played with their name slapped on it has been crap. Call of Duty 2 and 4 were decent, and that's about where it ends. Final straw for me was Prototype and World at War. So yeah, I don't own anything with Blizzard on it either because of this, but that's really no loss/anything worth mentioning because none of their games interest me anyway.

Other than that, I don't give any money to Sony anymore. After I bought my PS3 expecting it to play PS2 games (since they did the model just before the one I bought)and gave my PS2 to my cousin's kids, I was pretty sore to find out I couldn't play my PS2 games in the PS3 I had purchased. Then they repackage some of the game and resell them as "HD collections". Not to mention they pretty much abandoned the PSP I dropped good money on. Now it has a few decent games, but it's nothing compared to the DS in library quality. So now I pretty much have a burning hatred for Sony, but not for anyone that enjoys their products. After I got my PS3, I haven't given Sony a dime, I didn't even bother putting my credit card info into PSN (Lucky me). Just as an "F.U" if there is a game that I feel like playing I buy it used, but they're pretty rare and far between.

I also don't buy from Gamestop. Ebay and Amazon are far superior anyway.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
I can't help but think that game companies bottle people's complaining and tears and drink it like fine wine.

I think personal boycotts are stupid. A boycott is supposed to be a large organized effort to not buy a product or service. An individual boycott is pointless because one person have very little buying power. A million individual boycotts is still pointless because although it has buying power it does not have an organized goal or direction and sets no message in its protest. It strikes me as more cathartic then anything else and honestly that seems really pointless to me. Big companies have no idea who you are nor do they care. It's turning your back to the mountains in order to punish them and just seems silly. Also, the complexity of a company always makes it seem like your condemning 90% of the group for 10% fuck ups.

Arkham

Esoteric Cultist
Jan 22, 2009
migo said:
SilverJin02 said:
It's absolutely ridiculous to avoid a company just because of minor business practices. And yes, they're minor right now.
Some of us who are a little smarter want to stop it before it becomes major.
Then do something about it. These kind of so-called boycotts accomplish nothing if you don't make yourself known. Refusing to buy a product and complaining on a forum does not alert the company you're displeased with as to what they should be doing differently. Make your voice heard. The L4D2 Boycott caught Valve's attention, while practically every online petition is universally ignored. There's a reason for that.

I had so much more written and more I wanted to say but it's getting more and more difficult to take seriously.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
Sony. Everything they make is poor quality. I have been through 3 PS1s, 4PS2s, a sony laptop, 2 PSPs multiple sony phones and a sony TV. All broke within 2 years of having them. Sony's answer to warranty? 'Give them a reconditioned one!'