What companies do you actually refuse to buy from?

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Delsana said:
instantbenz said:
Delsana said:
instantbenz said:
Apple ... seriously I'm tired of the resurgence. They want to be different, but they aren't. They're aspiring to be m$. There was a difference in the early 90's and now it's just pathetic. They want to be different and underground, but they've simply become overpriced garbage just like lucky jeans.
Stop insulting Microsoft, anyone who labels them as m$ has no idea what the company is truly about, what it has done, the sacrifices its made, and... well as it relates to you, the massive impact they had on game innovation, oh and WINDOWS.
It's short form. Do you call everyone by their entire name whenever you address them? Grow up.
Actually yes, to be formal and polite, but it's not shortform as its not just MS, it's taking the time to click the shift key and the dollar sign WHICH MEANS you are using it to insult them... no one who uses that identifier has ever done anything else with it.
Dear random internet person,

By request of anyone with a brain, stop acting as though you know how everyone types on the internet. For your information I think every OS company has problems. However, if you'd have read my initial message you would have realized that I'm not for Apple. I also haven't taken time out of my life to learn Linux and thus I use windows.

I'm on your side, just take a little time-out from the keyboard for a second, cool off and stop trying to make enemies on the internet. You trying to make the point that m$ 'worked really hard' is moot.

Lastly total keystroke count for MS is the same as m$.

Drop it.

Yours truly,

Someone you don't know.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Nouw said:
DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
This has to go down as one of the great Escapist quotes.
So I need to ask: what do you do when a company that you buy products from does something really abhorrent or that really insults your intelligence as a consumer?

ShotgunZombie

Dec 20, 2009
I do not discriminate against games based on who developed and or published them. I discriminate against games based on actual quality or lack thereof. That being said I only own a single Valve game but that's mostly because I do most of my gaming on a PS3. Go figure...

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
I would theoretically boycott a company if they, say, funded mass genocide or something like that, but everything you people are complaining about, you sound like kids throwing temper tantrums. That's not intended to be insulting, but most of these reasons seem pretty petty. Companies are attempting to make money? Madness.

"But they should make money by just making good games and treating their customers well," you may say. Yes, in Magical Perfect World Land. This is real life, where you will die in less than 100 years and these companies will still exist long after you've been forgotten. Boycotting is a waste of your limited time on this Earth.

Delsana

Aug 16, 2011
FaceFaceFace said:
I would theoretically boycott a company if they, say, funded mass genocide or something like that, but everything you people are complaining about, you sound like kids throwing temper tantrums. That's not intended to be insulting, but most of these reasons seem pretty petty. Companies are attempting to make money? Madness.

"But they should make money by just making good games and treating their customers well," you may say. Yes, in Magical Perfect World Land. This is real life, where you will die in less than 100 years and these companies will still exist long after you've been forgotten. Boycotting is a waste of your limited time on this Earth.
So, boycotting those tobacco companies eh?

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Delsana said:
JCBFGD said:
I happen to have a list stored on my computer. It contains companies other than game devs/publishers, as well as reasons for the boycott. The major chunk was a list I got off some website about a year ago of companies that stole personal info from Facebook.
Apple
Church of Scientology
Disney
Goldman Sachs
Halliburton
Lockheed-Martin Corp
SONY CORPORATION
Sprint
USPS
Viacom
A.C. Nielsen
Agilent Technologies
Macrovision
Baker & McKenzie
Bertelsmann Media
Boeing
Cisco Systems
Cox Enterprises
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Deutsche Telekom
Duracell
Ernst & Young
Fujitsu
HBO & Company
Hilton Hospitality
Hitachi
HP
IBM
Intel
Intuit
Levi Strauss & Co.
Lucasfilm
Lucent
Lucent Technologies
Matsushita Electric Industrial Co
Mcafee
MetLife
Mitsubishi
Motorola
Northrop Grumman
Novell
Nvidia
O?Melveny & Myers
Oracle Corp
Pepsi Cola
Procter and Gamble
Random House
Raytheon
Road Runner RRWE
Seagate
Sega
Siemens AG
Sun Microsystems
Symantec
The Hague
Time Warner Telecom
Turner Broadcasting system
Unisys
United Nations
Univision
Vodafone
Wells Fargo
Xerox PARC
(^For stealing personal information)
Activision (wanting to charge for MP)
InfinityWard (MW2's restrictions on MP, modding, etc.)
UbiSoft (DRM & stealing personal info)
Bethesda (selling buggy, broken, and unfinished games)
Facebook (Founder giving away information on FB users)
Warner Music Group (Overzealous copyright claims)
Blizzard (DRM, endorsing sweatshops)
Target (Funding anti-gay politics)
FedEX (Funding Fox News)
AT&T (Spying for government & stealing personal info)
Coca-Cola (Trademarking a colour)
Treyarch (Selling broken games)
Very hard to buy anything with a list like that. And I seem to forget that a lot of these companies are on here...I have an iPod >.>

Also, I will be buying Skyrim, despite Bethesda being on that list...I think it was the Gamebryo engine's fault for their games being, technologically speaking, shit.
You will never fly in an aircraft then....

EVER.

Else you are technically supporting them...

Also, it's almost impossible for you not to buy from those companies ever because they have so many subsidaries and sub-companies that are never named the same and many of them probably own stock or leading holdings in your favorite products such as TV's, food, drinks, BEER even...

You uh... you have a lot of work cut out for you to research all their holdings.

Seriously man, half of those I understand, E.G Scientology, but most of it just seem's excessive, and the thread above is right, you probably buy products or engage in something that is owned in some way by those companies and groups through umbrella corporations.

navyjeff

Legacy
Dec 2, 2010
Country
United States
Delsana said:
navyjeff said:
Delsana said:
navyjeff said:
Exxon. If you need to know why, read up on it here:
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill[/link]
Even now, 22 years later, if I'm out of gas and I see an Exxon station, I keep driving.
Planning on avoiding British Petroleum as well?

BP did after all do the Gulf Oil Spill... knowingly knowing that something HORRIBLE would happen with their poorly maintained equipment and cheap shortcuts.

Rich companies make money off of what people buy, and a Gas company owns food and water and energy and ice cream and whatever else that's popular... sometimes you have to accept that you'll choose when, but you won't "boycott" them because it won't do much at all without a majority in the first place.

If you need gas, you'd better stop.
As a matter of fact, yes I avoid BP stations now too. I know it's merely a symbolic gesture since gasoline is a fungible quantity and I've seen gas stations fill up from all manner and logos of truck.

I didn't mention that I also minimize my driving, plan routes that allow me to avoid filling at those gas stations, and drive as fuel efficient of a car as I can afford. I know I'm in a minority around here; I don't care. I'm doing it because I said I wouldn't until they fixed the mess and fixed the policies that made the mess to begin with.

So, until they do, I will walk a mile past BP and Exxon stations with a gas can in my hand if that's what it takes to avoid filling up there.
[/old man rant off]
Your dedication is admired, but you probably support them without knowing, to be honest.
I'm sure that I do, but I won't knowingly buy oil products directly from them. I wouldn't be surprised that the Nalgene bottle I drink from is made from Exxon-supplied oil, or that the Pennzoil in my car uses BP-manufactured additives, or the polyester in my shirt. I have to live in a society, so I take it as part of life.

Hell, I've even worked on a research project that was funded by one of them. I'm ok with that, because the goal was more efficient combustion, which I think is a positive endeavor that should be encouraged.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
Only company that I truly don't like is EA, but unfortunately Bioware is one of my favourite so I suffer through boycotting. Game companies will always be companies, and companies in general don't care about the consumer beyond their wallets.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
At this point it's looking like Capcom, Nintendo, Activision, and Square Enix. Activision is the only one I really have philosophical qualms with (GG on making Diablo 3 the perfect medium for RMTing to flourish, as long as Activision gets a cut). The rest just seem to be content with producing nothing but garbage, cash in games, completely bastardizing their IPs or canceling them outright, and telling their customers to go screw themselves. I suppose I can't really fault them for making garbage and spitting all over us if people still buy it. The industry being the wasteland it is, is our own doing.

I don't use or have interest in any Apple products so I can't make a comment on them other than apple people are pretentious and ungodly snooty.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Ubisoft, because the continue punishing their customers with really dickish DRM while the pirates get a DRM free version, but we're protecting our stuff from pirates, honest.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
DJDarque said:
I don't refuse to buy anything based solely off of who makes it. That's just stupid.
But thats just not true by your logic if a company kidnaps and forces children to make say shoes, if they mess up they get shot in the head and thrown in a ditch and replaced by a new kidnapped child but they make a great quality shoe by your logic its stupid not to buy the shoe based on the fact the company does such terrible things to make that shoe?

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
aba1 said:
DJDarque said:
But thats just not true by your logic if a company kidnaps and forces children to make say shoes, if they mess up they get shot in the head and thrown in a ditch and replaced by a new kidnapped child but they make a great quality shoe by your logic its stupid not to buy the shoe based on the fact the company does such terrible things to make that shoe?
These types of issues have already been addressed and my original statement has been amended on page 4. This is a valid reason to boycott a company. I was speaking in the context of videos games companies, which I admit I should have specified, and as far as I'm aware no game company has committed such atrocities, so it doesn't really change my point.

Also, try to word your question a little clearer. The run-on nature of your question/statement made it hard to follow.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
DJDarque said:
aba1 said:
DJDarque said:
These types of issues have already been addressed and my original statement has been amended on page 4. This is a valid reason to boycott a company. I was speaking in the context of videos games companies, which I admit I should have specified, and as far as I'm aware no game company has committed such atrocities, so it doesn't really change my point.

Also, try to word your question a little clearer. The run-on nature of your question/statement made it hard to follow.
To be fair that is 4 full pages of comments I would have to read to have seen your comment taking back what was said so I think its reasonable that I would have missed it.

Also sorry about the run-on sentences I have a tendancy to do that because of my add.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
SgtFoley said:
aba1 said:
DJDarque said:

I dont buy nike shoes because I think they look like shit but I do buy their golf products so ya their child kidnapping and killing business practices wont stop be from buying a good quality product.
No offence but I find your lack of caring about not only children but the degradation of our society to be disgusting.

Tommeh Brownleh

May 26, 2011
I don't buy EA, or THQ unless I am REALLY interested in the game. Their marketing decisions recently haven't really screamed "Decent human beings run this place."

pixiejedi

Jan 8, 2009
I don't boycott games. Well maybe CoD, but it helps that I have no interest in the games to begin with. The companies suck but I figure most companies do and some are just more vocal about it.

I just don't buy apple products. Not only do I hate their consumer rights issues, but I don't dig the way people who get really into apple products think they are in a little cool kid club for it. Besides the whole clapping as you make the purchase is creepy as hell. Total cult shit to me personally.

blizzaradragon

Mar 15, 2010
There are games that I won't buy, but I will never encourage others not to buy something. I vote with my wallet, they vote with theirs. Plain and simple. Also I don't buy based on the quality of the product, not because business A engages in practice B to get C amount of money.

For example: I'm going to buy Diablo 3 because it genuinely looks like a good game, instead of being like everyone and their grandma who is not buying simply because of the always-on DRM. I'll more than likely be buying RAGE as well.

If you want to boycott something purely because you don't like how they do business, good for you. Just don't ***** about it to me and make me hop on the bandwagon with you. You can refuse to buy the product, but if I want it don't try and stop me from buying it.

@OP: No offense, but it seems like a lot of the reasons you're boycotting are pretty frivolous and petty. Not trying to stop you, just my two cents.

Fewell

Aug 12, 2011
The only two devs I won't touch are Rockstar and Harmonix. I had a buddy work for both of those companies modeling characters. In each case he was hired on and worked 18 to 24 months of crunchtime through long hours on salary and then was fired along with his fellow animators after they shipped the game. In Harmonix' case they even claimed in the press the people they let go were just testers and the like. Nope, animators.
Were it not my friend and I still heard about this I wouldn't buy products from these devs.