What conspiracy theories do YOU believe?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Dinosaurs never existed . They are a ploy to make people believe evolution . ( this is a joke don't quote me dammit!)

OT: for reals i don't care . I live my life no matter what . I don't seek the truth , i seek happiness . Ignorance is bliss.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Budweiser said:
Hazy992 said:
I don't believe in any conspiracy theories because all the theories I've heard are either incredibly short-sighted or just outright stupid.
you only say that because you are an inter dimensional shapeshifting reptiod that wants to keep us from learning the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DOWN WITH THE DRACONIAN BROTHERHOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now back to hiding in the faraday cage in my basement
Cursesss! Foiled again! You shall rue thisss day humanssss!!!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I discarded my tin foil hat many years ago.

Strangely enough it was about the same time i stopped giving a crap about religion.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
What about the conspiracy that all conspiracy theories are just a conspiracy created by bored government officials with too much time on thier hands. THE PROOF IS ALL THERE MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.

But i dont buy any conspiracy theories because noone ive quizzed on the subject can provide anything except massive amounts of hyperbole and fridge logic. its the old "YOU CANT PROVE IT WASNT ALIENS THEREFORE ITS ALIENS" problem.

Honestly i looked at the indoctrination theory thing for ME 3 and i distanced myself from it in discussions with friends for 1 reason: It was a conspiracy theory, thousands of people taking a minute detail that was probably just an oversight and reading WAY too much into it and forming thier own conclusions.

I also love how people who get thier hands on "SEKRET GOV'MENT DOCUMENTS THAT MY FRIEND FOUND AND THEN COMMITED SUICIDE OVER" are always SO conveniently left with someone who can get them out.

But then im actually a reptilian dog man from the planet Nuburu 7 who holidays on venus between missions to earth to kill the populace with mind bullets. Heres my illuminati membership card.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
McMullen said:
Not sure if it counts as a conspiracy theory but...

I think SOPA and PIPA were not truly intended to address piracy at all, but really were engineered to cripple the Internet, or at least the parts where users can post their own content. I think the movie and music industry did this because they know that the Internet makes publishers obsolete, and they're trying to suppress it in the same way that they tried with the VCR.

It's pretty clear by now that SOPA and PIPA would not actually have done anything to stop piracy; it simply would have required people to use numerical addresses instead of human-readable ones to get to the site they wanted, and it was vague enough and written in such a way that it seemed to be directly targeting sites like YouTube. The fact that opposing viewpoints were not allowed in some of the initial hearings on the laws doesn't help.

I think that proposing laws like this for a purpose other than the stated one because the real purpose wouldn't pass should be a crime. It's fraud, and also they effectively lied to Congress, so although I doubt anyone was under oath, it would be nice if the penalties for perjury were part of it too. People who propose these laws should go to jail.
Being a big Cyberpunk fan, I tend to agree with this. This, along with the sense that in some ways, Europe *seems* to be turning into a one-government entity and that corporations are starting to have pretty frightening levels of push-and-pull ability; makes me think that we're in for a pretty bleak 22nd century.

I won't hear about it, obviously, and we're all going to be dead by that point, but I'm pretty sure that by the time 2100 rolls around, governments and business-related entities as we know them won't exist any longer. Same for countries and geographical borders.

This is less a conspiracy theory and more a set of personal beliefs, though. I'm also fairly certain our current anti-cloning ethics won't hold water forever. With the wealthy always being willing to pay to keep living, cheap and affordable organs will be needed. If China can bring sheep embryos near term in artificial tanks, there isn't much stopping us from growing independent organs in protein vats.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
I...well, I hesitate to say "believe." Let's say that I "suspect" that there are one or more extremely powerful secret societies of incredibly wealthy individuals that secretly influence world politics. If there isn't any such group/groups, I wouldn't neccessarily be surprised, but I would be disappointed, as that would mean that the political world is much less interesting than I thought.

Also, I'm fairly confident that there is more to the JFK assassination than the U.S. government says, or possibly even knows.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
McMullen said:
Not sure if it counts as a conspiracy theory but...

I think SOPA and PIPA were not truly intended to address piracy at all, but really were engineered to cripple the Internet, or at least the parts where users can post their own content. I think the movie and music industry did this because they know that the Internet makes publishers obsolete, and they're trying to suppress it in the same way that they tried with the VCR.

It's pretty clear by now that SOPA and PIPA would not actually have done anything to stop piracy; it simply would have required people to use numerical addresses instead of human-readable ones to get to the site they wanted, and it was vague enough and written in such a way that it seemed to be directly targeting sites like YouTube. The fact that opposing viewpoints were not allowed in some of the initial hearings on the laws doesn't help.

I think that proposing laws like this for a purpose other than the stated one because the real purpose wouldn't pass should be a crime. It's fraud, and also they effectively lied to Congress, so although I doubt anyone was under oath, it would be nice if the penalties for perjury were part of it too. People who propose these laws should go to jail.
This actually makes a lot of sense. I do think that SOPA and PIPA were intended to fight piracy, but only as a secondary effect. I believe that, as a general rule, the primary purpose of such legislation is to put more power in the hands of coorporate entities and less power in the hands of the common man. We seem to be holding such tactics at bay for now, but if such legislation passes? Cyberpunk, here we come!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
On a serious note, I don't believe any big conspiricies like 9/11, Bigfoot, Reptile people, etc. But I am a creationist, so there's that. (The universe was created 6-10,000 years ago, but created as an old universe with billions of years of development already written into it.)
'I don't believe any big conspiricies... But I am a creationist'

I'd say that kind of counts as the biggest of them all.

remnant_phoenix said:
I...well, I hesitate to say "believe." Let's say that I "suspect" that there are one or more extremely powerful secret societies of incredibly wealthy individuals that secretly influence world politics. If there isn't any such group/groups, I wouldn't neccessarily be surprised, but I would be disappointed, as that would mean that the political world is much less interesting than I thought.
It's really not that ridiculous. I mean, there are plenty of examples of the extremely rich influencing politics that are plain for everyone to see - the idea that they'd meet up to get things going their way is hardly far-fetched.

I'd say the crux of it is how mystical you like your secret societies.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Budweiser said:
gigastar said:
I discarded my tin foil hat many years ago.

Strangely enough it was about the same time i stopped giving a crap about religion.
that is probably a good thing since actual tinfoil was replaced with aluminum foil (which we all know DOESN'T block CIA mind reading satellites) right after WW2... that hat must have been getting pretty old and rancid
I say tin 'foil' but what it actually was was 4 kilogram scale mail helmet made out of tin cans. I used to bounce bricks off of it when i was bored.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Hunter65416 said:
None for me really, There are some that are completly ridiculous like the US govournment setting up 9/11 which quite alot of people do believe but I just think theres no way they'd do it because if it was uncovered EVERYONE worldwide would be pissed, People in charge would be executed or inprisoned and the UN would take charge, It just wouldnt be worth doing that just to increse favour on the war, But if someone disagrees - tell me why

Theres a theory ive read up on about elvis being alive..maybe..but probably not

The stupidest one I can think of is the 'Paul is dead' one about the beatles covering up pauls death to save the public grief

What conspiracy theories do you believe - if any? and why?

EDIT: The one theory I do 100% agree with is the theory..no.. the fact that the big industries in the US (logging/paper/clothing/tabbaco/alcohol/ect) were behind making cannabis and hemp illegal.

Now that I think of it, The theory that the monarchy was responsible for dianas death springs to mind but thats also a 'ehm possibly'

And Ive changed my mind, The dumbest one I can think of is that some people believe that the holocaust never existed..I mean..come on..
about the 911 thing, i want to start by saying that i don't believe that's what happened either. but the people behind it wouldn't be punished. Honestly, no country in the UN is going to vote for an attack on the single most powerful military force in the world unless they're trying to take it over.

As for the stupidest theory I've ever heard: truthism.com
read it. I dare you. You actually should it's the funniest thing i've ever read.

as for the ones I believe. I don't believe that a lone gunman killed JFK, don't know who did it, don't really care.

the outlawing hemp and cannabis I also agree with.

Also, the Ruby Ridge and Wako debacles were definitely intentional. No sniper misses a shot by 2 feet at a couple hundred yards. Fuck, I'm a better shot than that shit.

And a great many of them I feel are plausible, but probably innacurate.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
I believe in aliens. We can't be the only intelligent life forms in the entire universe. Our own solar system sure and surrounding solar systems like alpha centuri perhaps but not the entire universe.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Hero in a half shell said:
On a serious note, I don't believe any big conspiricies like 9/11, Bigfoot, Reptile people, etc. But I am a creationist, so there's that. (The universe was created 6-10,000 years ago, but created as an old universe with billions of years of development already written into it.)
Video was awesome.

Question? How do you respond to the idea that the world was created 3 seconds ago with people having memories of previous events that never really happened? And the world was created to simulate all time ever before right this very second when everything was created.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
I think two gunmen were involved in the shooting of JFK, because of the way his head moves after the impact. I'm not going in depth here. I don't think it was some sort of government thing, just two people who wanted to kill him for some reason.

There are some other theories that make sense to me, as well. My friend believes that while the US did go to the moon, it wasn't in 1969. The idea is that they just didn't have the tech to do it at the time, so they faked it then, to "win" the Space Race, but went to the moon later.

I certainly don't think that Area 51 has aliens, like my friend does, because it's far more likely to be just a base for experimental aircraft. Why would the US government keep any aliens, if they have any, in a place that people are doing their best to watch?

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
ssgt splatter said:
I believe in aliens. We can't be the only intelligent life forms in the entire universe. Our own solar system sure and surrounding solar systems like alpha centuri perhaps but not the entire universe.
I don't think that's really a conspiracy. Just because the majority of people don't believe, doesn't make it a conspiracy.

Personally, I do believe that aliens exist, because the odds against their existence are far too remote.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I can't quote any of my own, but a security guy I met at a courthouse once tried to convince me that the government was using Facebook to spy on the public. It was all too much to follow in one quick conversation, so I can only answer with a shrug.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Hunter65416 said:
The stupidest one I can think of is the 'Paul is dead' one about the beatles covering up pauls death to save the public grief
I think I can one-up you on this one. I heard a conspiracy theory from one of my co-workers a couple of months ago about how most con-trails (the trails of steam generated by a plane's exhaust) are actually "chem trails" that the government is using to spread mercury, arsenic and other poisons throughout the atmosphere. Not in sufficient quantities to kill everyone, but as a means to keep people too busy trying to breath to revolt.

It's pretty ridiculous.

OT: I don't think there are any big conspiracies out there. Think about it for a minute. A successful, unknown conspiracy in the internet age means three things need to happen: 1) Everyone needs to be perfect at what they do, 2) Everyone needs to believe in the cause, and 3) No one can be corrupt.

If any of those 3 are not met, someone in the media would find out about it and the whole world would know about it. It's simply not possible for a large-scale conspiracy to operate in the modern world.

That's not to say there can't be any conspiracies, there's plenty of those between businesses to further their own economic goals, typically as a form of price-control and whatnot (see: Apple + Book Publishers vs DoJ) but there's no big government or secret society or whatever conspiracies to control or limit the populace. The only reason those theories exist is because it's far more comforting to think you're being abused by a shadowy cabal than it is to admit that the people in charge are incompetent and/or idiotic.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Agayek said:
Hunter65416 said:
I think I can one-up you on this one. I heard a conspiracy theory from one of my co-workers a couple of months ago about how most con-trails (the trails of steam generated by a plane's exhaust) are actually "chem trails" that the government is using to spread mercury, arsenic and other poisons throughout the atmosphere. Not in sufficient quantities to kill everyone, but as a means to keep people too busy trying to breath to revolt.

It's pretty ridiculous.
Oh Chem trails, i love that one, "IGNORE SCIENCE, CLAIM CONTANIMATED WATER IS GOV'MENT LIZARDS FAULT". And ofcourse, lets not forget, if you DONT believe in our reptillian overlords, your a sheep.