What could EA do to change you mind about using Origin - Old - Admins please lock

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
A. I won't buy from them. Their business practices have been consistently bad across all of their development studios for several years now--Bioware, Visceral Games, DICE, etc.--so I'd rather do without than do business with them again. The games just aren't good enough to make up for rushed development cycles and anti-consumer marketing and sales. I'll stick to GOG and Steam.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
1. Buy me a high-end gaming PC
2. Hook it up through my TV for me
3. Give me a decent PC gaming controller so I don't have to use the stupid keyboard.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
ph0b0s123 said:
Groan, not another thread about Origin. Bear with me. I though I would try a new approach of being constructive. So for all those who are refusing to use Origin, is there anything EA could do as far as making changes to Origin to get you to start using it. For me it is just to make the hardware and software collection it does on your system optional, like steam.

Please feel free to suggest changes and I will add them to the poll as I could not think of many.

Options
A: Nothing, I don't like EA and will never buy anything from them.

B: Nothing, I have steam and don't want to use another service / client.

C: Nothing, I hate on-line services, buy my games off-line and am already fed up at being forced to use Steamworks with games I did not buy from steam, now have the same with Origin as well.

D: Make the collection of hardware and software installed on your system optional, so it's in line with steam.

E: Suggest something EA could do.

F: Suggest something EA could do.

G: Suggest something EA could do.

H: Suggest something EA could do.

Edit: The negative options are at the top as if I put them at the bottom to leave room for more positive suggestions the forum throws a wobbler. Also does not like having long option sentences, hence the full description for each option above.
The only thing they could do to convince me would be to MASSIVELY undercut steam. Prices. That is all.

As it is, they are MORE EXPENSIVE THAN STEAM, have crappier offers than steam. Is generally worse than steam in every conceivable way. Why in gods name would I want to use origin?

Mostly I simply dont want any more clients. GoG has done it in a nice way. They have a personal downloader, but no overlay. And they do not need one! I can log on their website, and watch my game catalogue and download/play whatever I want.

Origin is steam, only worse and about 5 years too late. Fuck it.

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I'm already using Origin. The interface isn't anywhere near as good as Steam, and the sales are pretty non-sale ish, but I'm not planning on using it for non-EA games so it doesn't really matter.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
I personally dont like digital distribution, only reason ive even got steam is so I can play some of the free games with my friends so origin really dosent stand a snowballs chance in hell of being installed on my pc espcially with the whole spying fiaso.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Already using it... few days ago they linked my BF:BC2 to my origin account so now i dont need the disc anymore +1 to origin. And playing BF3 Limited Edition (+ Physical Warfare Pack) tonight at 01.00 - bought it over origin. Works like Steam... and i know about the spy thingy... but cmon you guys would be surprised how many of your programs installed are doing it.. its just that origin got it pointed out by someone :)

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
If a game is available on both steam and origin, then yeah I'll probably get it off steam just because it's what I've been using and it's what all of my friends use. But for games like The Old Republic, where I have to use it, I won't mind.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Improve the software itself and I am ready to give them a chance. I don't mind Origin and I like what they're trying to do, it's just that the user interface is clunky and it uses more resources than it should.

999realthings

Jun 23, 2011
B, I don't mind they want to start their own client service but if you're making so other companies' client service can't have your game then I don't support you or client service at all

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Now with a working poll: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.319931-What-could-EA-do-to-change-you-mind-about-using-Origin

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
They don't have to do anything, because I don't feel threatened by Origin in any way. In fact, I hope it becomes as good as Steam. I love Steam, and from personal experience, competition is ALWAYS better for the consumer.

This has just become an excuse for fan-boys to find things to complain about.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Stop being retarded with release dates, there is no good reason why some parts of the world have to wait until friday when the rest gets it monday/tuesday.

shadowform

Jan 5, 2009
EA needs to show some customer goodwill. This is a long and difficult path, and one that I honestly don't think EA will go for. The SecuRom DRM on Spore and C&C 3, the absolutely wretched marketing for both Dead Space and Dante's Inferno, and their continued refusal to release roster update DLC for their sports games are all examples that stick out in recent memory. What little I do feel for EA comes entirely through their association with specific studios, such as Bioware.

I have no illusions that Steam probably gathers some information about my gaming habits. I know for a fact that it knows how much I've played each of my games. But the thing is, I trust Valve (and through them, Steam) with that information. They've shown goodwill towards their customers, so I trust them. As it stands, I don't trust EA.

Comando96

May 26, 2009
Give me:
Battlefield 3 Free
Mass Effect 3 Free
And that new £250 graphics card that I want.

I'd happily get Origin for no less than that^^^