What Covers of Songs Do You Prefer Rather Than the Original?

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Jimi Hendrix's version of Like a Rolling Stone. And, you know, the obvious.

I'm talking about Johnny Cash's version of The Mercy Seat. I just can't stand Nick Cave.

Joel Dawson

Jun 26, 2011
The Animals' version of The House of the Rising Sun

Johnny Cash's and Marilyn Manson's versions of Personal Jesus

Nirvana's version of Lake of Fire

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
I prefer the Rufus Wainwright version of Hallelujah over the original.

Also I prefer the Protomen's rendition of Sunglasses at Night over the Corey Hart version.

TheLiham

Apr 15, 2010
Metallica's cover's of Am I Evil? and Whiskey in the jar. I'm not quite sure if Whiskey in the jar really counts as a cover though. Also, Bullet for my valentines metallica covers are always good, so Creeping Death and Welcome home (sanitarium).

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Rule Britannia said:
Flash of the blade originally by Iron Maiden. I personally prefer the Avenged Sevenfold cover.

Iron Maiden

Avenged Sevenfold:
I call your Avenged Sevenfold and raise you Rhapsody of Fire:

Similarly, I favour their cover of "Power of Thy Sword" by Manowar.

TheBoulder

Nov 11, 2009
What the hell people? The original version of "Hallelujah" is much better than Jeff Buckley's.
I usually find any cover by Richard Cheese much more enjoyable than the original. Also, the Cat Power cover of "Space Oddity" by David Bowie is great. Too bad there's only 30 seconds of it.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Something differant, but still ontopic. This is the original theme Unicron had in the original 1986 Transformers movie -

However, there are THREE Cover Versions/Remixes I like, so I'm going to put all three of them here.

This one's a lot more Metal. It's certainly a nice guitar arrangement that certainly adds a level of Menace to the original.

This one's got a heavier Electronic element. It's basically the entire track rescored with a more modern sound.

Finally, this one's the original theme, but done in that epic Orchestral arrangement that's all too common these days. Surprisingly, it works O.O

For the record - I do like the original. But these I just think sound better.

mrvermin

May 5, 2011
Anyone remember "Blinded by the Light" by Bruce Springsteen?? No?

Well the cover by Manfred Mann is so superior that no one even remembers who released it first.

MrVermin

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Tsaba said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Tsaba said:
lynyrd skynyrd "black betty"
Lynrd Skynrd never covered Black Betty. The cover you're probably thinking of is by Ram Jam, an extremely underrated band.

woops my bad. thanks for the correction... should definitely fix that on my ipod then.... hmmmm who should I kill for this typo.
It's an honest mistake, that song is always getting attributed to Skynrd. If you like Ram Jam, there's a best of on iTunes, it's got like twenty songs and they're all incredible.

I feel I should probably contribute to the thread.

Of course, I don't really like New Order, so my judgement isn't the best in this situation.

Varitel

Jan 22, 2011
Joe Cocker's cover of Traffic's "Feeling Alright"

<youtube=9gKW4S4fdjM>

Also, his amazing cover of The Box Top's "The Letter"

<youtube=Xraj86LNgYc>

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
I'm a big fan of the Eddie Vedder cover of "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" by the Beatles, that he performed for the I Am Sam soundtrack.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Wyonna's cover of 'Burning Love', by Elvis Presley (end of Lilo & Stich).

The Blues Brothers cover of 'Jailhouse Rock', by Elvis Presley (end of The Blues Brothers).

Bowling for Soup's cover of 'Summer of 69', by Bruce Springsteen.

Phil Collin's cover of You Can't Hurry Love', by Donna Ross & The Supremes.

Marylin Manson's cover of 'This is Halloween', from The Nightmare Before Christmas

And with that, I leave you with an awesome AMV that adds a third thing to that last song, that makes it even more awesome:

(Secret confession: Doesn't listen to any other Marylin Manson song other than this one)