What did you do for Halloween?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Now that I've finished up my shenanigans and have settled in for the night, I thought it'd be fun to share what we did for Halloween, if anything at all! It's my 2nd favourite holiday, so I always like to try and do something fun with it each year.
This year I set up a table with some fake candles, a dark tablecloth, and hid a speaker away playing this on repeat to set the mood. I wore some robes, a wig, and a sparkly shawl and read Tarot fortunes for people, then gave candy afterwards. A few kids were kinda eh on the experience, but 90% of them thought it was pretty cool. A lot of parents and kids all thought it was a fun and unique idea. Some were really excited to have their cards read. It was my first time reading Tarot, so I stuck to a single card with the major Arcana. I liked it! I might go a bit more all-out next year and make a proper booth or something.
I still ended up with a lot of leftover candy, even after handing it out by the handful... My arteries are in danger

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Took my kid(along with some friends and their kids) trick or treating. Actually dressed up for the first time in forever, but mostly because could put together a pretty low effort costume without much issue. Basically went as a Pirate, and that I mean I wore some brown work boots, a long Navy Raincoat(from my time in the USN), an eyepatch and a tricorner hat. Of course, by tricorner I got a regular black hat and velcod two of the sides to form a point, which took all of 5 minutes.

Kids had a blast. My feet hurt from wearing my work boots so much but I generally had a good time.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Well on Saturday I drove past the uber-expensive snooty rich private school between my apartment and the office where I work and saw their precious little angels all dressed up taking part in the gated and protected "trunk-or-treat" event in their parking lot. The neighborhoods around the school... super-safe residential (a mix of old money and building boom cul-de-sacs) and commercial with a big shopping mall. This is an area where it would be perfectly safe to trick or treat after dark with minimal adult supervision. And yet there I was; watching the lamest, most pearl-clutchingly "won't someone think of the children," entitled display of parenting I've ever seen... TWO DAYS before Halloween "trunk-or-treating" behind a guarded gate. AT 11:00 IN THE MORNING.

I think Halloween died that day.

What I actually did for the holiday. Well, my work schedule didn't allow me to take part again. So over the weekend I took part in a horror movie sandwich. I watched Cabin in the Woods Friday, the Exorcist on Saturday, and on Sunday watched Tremors. There wasn't a scary game I wanted to play through again, so I kicked on Luigi's Mansion and replayed that.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Nothing. Halloween as Americans know it is not really a tradition around here, tho the last 10 years or so have seen a concerted commercial effort to make it a thing so we'd all go out and buy Halloween stuff. Which is working, since I see more kids trick or treating and people doing the decorations every year. Fine I guess, if they're happy, and it can replace the Driekoningen tradition since that has pretty much died. Tho technically we do have the original christian holy day Halloween is based on, but that's more church observance and lighting candle. Not very exciting. Also, I'm not christian.

All Saints Day however, that I do like. Not cuz of the religious stuff, because it's an official holiday, meaning no work for me today. Yay.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nothing remotely Halloween related; I poured a cocktail and watched Monday night football.

Being in retail for over 20 years, from store fronts, to warehouses, to corporate where I currently reside, I've grown to very much dislike the holidays, like, almost all of them. Think The Time Machine: you lot of the blissfully unawares Eloi, donning silly costumes, sipping pumpkin spice lattes and playing Mariah Carey's Christmas albums on repeat, while myself and the other Morlocks bust our asses to make all that pageantry possible by working long hours, stressing over inventory, and shoving all of those holidays deals onto shelves for your consumption. I dread this stretch from Halloween to Christmas ever year.

All Saints Day however, that I do like. Not cuz of the religious stuff, because it's an official holiday, meaning no work for me today. Yay.
That's the ONLY thing I like about holidays, the time off. My favorite is the week of Christmas through the New Year because it's back-to-back 4-day weeks where most people I work with, having blown their stress load, roll over and take additional time off, so work basically dies for a couple of weeks.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
That's the ONLY thing I like about holidays, the time off. My favorite is the week of Christmas through the New Year because it's back-to-back 4-day weeks where most people I work with, having blown their stress load, roll over and take additional time off, so work basically dies for a couple of weeks.
Same. Sort of. I work in the food industry, so the last couple weeks of the year are always hands on deck. After New Year tho, demand plummets for a week or two, and that's when I get my lazy days. Almost makes suffering through all the Mariah Carey worth it. Almost.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
I have a weird love of crappy candy, so this is the time of year where I buy up candy corn, caramel drops, and jelly candies shaped like angry cats and witches.

Otherwise I ate a Donair, regretted it immensely and laid around until my partner was off work so I could drive extremely carefully to get her.

Some years we do Halloween stuff, but no younguns were visiting this year so we just had a regular Monday evening.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I went to work and had to deal with asshole customers, stupid idiots getting in my way and busting my ass for minimal recognition and less appreciation. Pretty much the same thing as the rest of the year only I got to hear Thriller, This is Halloween(opening song from The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Weird Science all for roughly the tenth time in the last couple days.

Soon the Christmas music will begin.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I went to work and had to deal with asshole customers, stupid idiots getting in my way and busting my ass for minimal recognition and less appreciation. Pretty much the same thing as the rest of the year only I got to hear Thriller, This is Halloween(opening song from The Nightmare Before Christmas) and Weird Science all for roughly the tenth time in the last couple days.

Soon the Christmas music will begin.
In 1998, I was fresh out of high school working my first job for a now defunct electronics retailer, and Britney Spears had just become a thing. The video for "Baby One More Time" played on our wall of TVs constantly, so I heard it no fewer than a couple dozen times a day for weeks. I think that was the moment my indifference for Pop music turned into an utter contempt that persists to this day.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
In 1998, I was fresh out of high school working my first job for a now defunct electronics retailer, and Britney Spears had just become a thing. The video for "Baby One More Time" played on our wall of TVs constantly, so I heard it no fewer than a couple dozen times a day for weeks. I think that was the moment my indifference for Pop music turned into an utter contempt that persists to this day.
That sounds horrifying. I get mad if I hear a crappy pop song twice in a nine hour shift (8+ 1 for lunch). I can’t imagine hearing them even more.

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
We had torrential rain and gales so there were no trick or treaters to ignore, thankfully. So I curled up on the sofa with the missus and watched the last episode of the latest series of The Last Kingdom on Netflix.

Last edited:

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ouch. That sounds like it should be in a comedy about someone who hates their job.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I get that. I used to think country music was ok. Oak Ridge Boys, Alabama, Crystal Gayle, Kenny Rogers... it wasn't my favorite, but it was fine. Then Garth Brooks...!

My older brother was a "cowboy." We all worked on the family farm, but the eldest and I were both more into rock music and any hats we had were just baseball caps. My cowboy brother wore a Stetson and rode a horse working the farm rather than the 3-wheeler or dirtbike the eldest and I preferred. We liked team sports and golf, he went to the rodeo every weekend. And when Garth Brooks hit the scene... he was hooked. My whole family that summer loaded up the car to go on the family vacation. He had just gotten his unrestricted license, and so he was pulling the camper behind his truck... and I rode with him. And he had just bought the friends in low places CD (the album, I forget the name.) And he had it on a loop. For the better part of 24 hours total I was forced to listen to Garth Brooks on a loop. You've got friends in low places huh, you're lucky I don't get MY friends in low places to push you off the stage into a wood chipper.

To this day, country music actually gives me motion sickness. I hate it so much it almost makes me vomit. Luckily the radio company I work for doesn't have any country music stations in this market. But I will hate Christmas music starting about 2 days after Thanksgiving.

Reactions: Thaluikhain