What did you think of the VGX?

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
Me, I thought it was eh.

I liked the various interviews that were done with developers and I liked some of the comedy skits that were done by Rooster Teeth, Mega 64 and Smosh, and I was fine with all the nominee's and the winnters. (O.K, maybe I was disappointed that The Twins from Bioshock Infinite won instead of Trevor)

What I disliked was Joel McHale as a host and his jokes (It felt like he was uninterested in hosting and his jokes were Mencia level bad), Pewdiepi, that GOD awful song at the end, and the fact they didn't even show ALL of the awards at the show (Moster were given before the show was even on).

Escapist, what about you?

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
the last one was fascinatingly bad. This one was just BORING. The most interesting thing the entire time was seeing the meltdown over Donkey Kong Country and after that it was just dull and stupid crap for the rest of the show. I'm pretty sure we won't see another one of these after how awful it was. Seriously, when Spike decides to air reruns of COPS over your show you know you've screwed up

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Yeah, I agree, it was meh. I didn't give a shit about any of the rewards, since it is Spike TV, but some trailers, premiers and interviews were actually pretty good. Also, stop inviting people who clearly don't give a shit about gaming.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, it was pretty bad. The show was disjointed and boring, and it didn't feel like an awards show since there was so little build up to the winner reveals. I like Community but I don't think Joel McHale did a good job hosting the show. The endless 'nerd diss' jokes were pretty awkward.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
I regret watching that exploding trainwreck of a show.
HOLY SHIT, Joel McHale could not have been more of a rude, unfunny douchebag of a host; he was so bad I began to like Geoff keighley, ugh. I was waiting for Reggie to pimp slap Joel for being so obnoxious.
I actually began to miss the big stage and the audience because at least then they would have to make an effort to make a 'passable' show. It felt so awkward when they gave out the awards without some kind of clapping in the background.
The announcing of the awards was also awkward and anticlimactic, even matt stone and trey parker could barely save it. Although their parody of Joel was funny.

It's amazing the VGA's actually got worst, which i didn't think was possible. I thought last year's show was decent enough to where they could improve from there.
They proved me wrong...

The only good moments were the game trailers and seeing my picks get their awards.

Conclusion: Boring, awkward, the host obviously didn't like each other, get the fuck out Joel McHale, needs an overhaul, less jokes, more video games.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Gone Home wins Best Indie
I'm used to shit titles winning, but this one cut deep.

Telltale is making a GoT Game
Woo!

Telltale is making a Borderlands Prequel(?)
Whatever. Might be good, but only if they keep Anthony Burch away from it.

GOTY gets handed out an hour in
Thats not how award shows work...

No Mans Sky
Looks pretty good.

Dying Light
Looks pretty good.

Trannies getting pissed over that Wario sec change joke
OH NO! Someone call the hurt feelings police!

PewDiePie playing anything
God, make it stop!

The casual loft setting, instead of the huge auditorium I remember from previous VGAs
I guess the Mountain Dewrito money only goes so far.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
Fucking Russian gamers man...
You know what's their main complaint is? Samuel L. Jackson wasn't invited.
Well, they are also complaining about Naughty Dog getting studio of the year, but that's granted for them.

SirPigglesworth

Aug 14, 2012
T_ConX said:
Trannies getting pissed over that Wario sex change joke
OH NO! Someone call the hurt feelings police!
Word of advice T ConX,I'm sure you meant no offence but there is a rather large transgender community on these forums and some (if not most) of them find the word tranny offensive.

The VGX was really disappointing I wasn't watching it but I did have a few live tweets about the thing on my feed I was hoping for something more than an IOS game and a few telltale games (the No Man's Sky was the best game shown if they can pull it off) I suppose the best thing to come out of it was Jim Sterling's tweets which made the whole experience much better.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I think that Joel McHale is a man on a mission. On a mission to eradicate humor from the face of this planet. What a boring douche.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I found it terribly boring to be perfectly honest.

I didn't watch it live and I'm happy that I didn't. I think I skipped through half of the stream due to it's boring content, I mean 15min+ of watching some Donkey Kong footage really? Sigh.

Only interesting thing that I liked from the VGX was the trailer of Witcher 3, Titanfall..GoT from Telltale and that's about it. Everything else was meh and the award winners were so obvious (GTA5) that I didn't even bother. Was expecting maybe a PC announcement while doing their speech but that was way too much to expect from R*.

Pipeline

May 5, 2013
I didn't even see it, I could not be bothered. I read the Escapist report on it.
"Gone Home wins over The Stanley Parable and Papers, Please for best indie game."

Fuck you, VGX.

No, seriously. That is not on. Gone Home was an okay game, but compared to Papers, Please or The Stanley Parable, it should have been no contest.

Ghostface2206

Apr 6, 2013
My God, the internet got so hyped that Nintendo was going to announce and HD Zelda for Wii U. Then they came on with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze...and announced that Cranky Kong would be a playable character. What? Did they really think that the audience of Spike TV would find that entertaining? They should have had Bayonetta 2, X, Super Smash Bros. or maybe a brand new Metroid or F-Zero? Not that I'm saying that DKTF is a bad game, I personally am very excited for it but it just wasn't the right game to show off, especially since many people were watching and of all the Wii U games, that was the one they chose.

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
Eliminate everything about Joel McHale from the show, and I actually liked it. I think they could improve upon it by just having Geoff do the hosting and they probably need a small live audience there do do a little clapping with the transitions. But McHale was a complete buffoon, and while I know he had a hard time trying to provide comic relief, you can't do that without an audience because everything falls flat.

I thought the acceptance videos were great.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I had a few friends over to watch it, so it was more enjoyable because of it. I thought it was ok, a little boring at times. I frankly was dissapointed on the premiers. No Man Skies looks great, Tales from the Borderlands looks wonderful, but I'm not interested in Game of Thrones at all, and literally every trailer was just showing off tech.

The winners made me happy though. Gone Home winning best Indy and Best PC (fuck everyone who says it didn't deserve it. It was amazing) Troy Baker winning for Joel and Bioshock Infinite winning best shooter and best song. I loved the acceptance videos, the Naughty Dog one made me and my boyfriend happy because of Joel's cameo at the end, and Irrational's was adorable. Assassin's Creed's also made me giggle.

Overall, I just thought it was boring. Fun with friends, and calling the TitanFall number many times, was fun...just no real great reveals.

EDIT; I'm glad the Twins one for best character. I find it amazing they beat Trevor to be honest.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
Complete farce, whoever produced is probably out of a job. The script was particularly bad, even for this type of show, and nothing seemed to be rehearsed, which made the guests even more nervous and guarded. The only highlights were Tim Schafer, Reggie, the No Man's Sky dev and Techland with Dying Light. They presented well and gave out info, everyone else was firing off buzzwords, repeating how much they love the project and waiting for the hosts to pat their shoulder.

The hosts themselves had it worst, not just stuck with a shitty script, but also deprived of an audience and constantly left hanging with zero direction. They're being blamed the most, but they handled it as well as anyone could. If they weren't experienced professionals, it would've been a lot worse - like the loiter squad segments.

But all in all 2013 as a year for gaming doesn't deserve any better. At least we got a nice Witcher 3 trailer.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I liked some of the trailers and some of the guest presentations.

Gone Home winning Best Indie is a travesty though. It's not bad, but both Papers Please and Stanley Parable utterly curbstomp it.

Other than that it left me with a mix of boredom, apathy and moments of 'saw this coming from a mile away' at every award.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ghostface2206 said:
My God, the internet got so hyped that Nintendo was going to announce and HD Zelda for Wii U. Then they came on with Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze...and announced that Cranky Kong would be a playable character. What? Did they really think that the audience of Spike TV would find that entertaining? They should have had Bayonetta 2, X, Super Smash Bros. or maybe a brand new Metroid or F-Zero? Not that I'm saying that DKTF is a bad game, I personally am very excited for it but it just wasn't the right game to show off, especially since many people were watching and of all the Wii U games, that was the one they chose.
Except the show is so horrible and had so few viewers that a small announcement like that was completely appropriate. Seriously, the show had less viewers than Nintendo's Directs, so why bother wasting a big announcement on garbage like the VGAs?

Full

Sep 3, 2012
It was a decently attractive disaster, rather than just a disaster.

Joel McHale was taking the piss out of it the whole time, he obviously didn't care about the show or the terrible jokes that were written for him. You could tell he cares about the games, being how involved he was during some interviews, but it's like he knew the show was always shit and tried to lighten everyone up. Doesn't make it acceptable though etc etc

Plus we did get some great looking stuff out of it. Witcher 3, No Man's Sky, and Quantum Break looking pretty cool. I heard No Man's Sky may be a PS4 exclusive though? Shame.

No one watches this shit for the awards.

Jesus fucking christ why do these things happen