What Disney's Princesses and Princes Might Look Like If They Were Real

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
630
0
0
What Disney's Princesses and Princes Might Look Like If They Were Real

Finnish arist Jirka Väätäinen has taken a real-life look at what he thinks Disney's princes and princesses would look like if you met them on the street.

Ever wondered what Disney's animated male and female human characters might look like in real life? A Finnish artist has done that for us by taking 13 male characters and 20 female characters and given them a person-next-door feel. Of course, Ursula and Ariel stretch the real-life" aspect a bit, but what the heck.

[gallery=4925]

Actually, it was Ursula that caused artist Jirka Väätäinen to begin the project. "One day, I just got the idea to entertain and challenge myself by reimagining Ursula in a more realistic way," he told The Escapist. "I found it a lot of fun and did the same with a few other characters and posted them on my academic blog that I kept to keep up with my Uni studies, so I wasn't really expecting anyone to see them. But at one point, someone apparently stumbled upon these illustrations that I had done and shared them one way or another. Ever since, the response has been overwhelmingly positive, and I kept receiving a ton of requests so it felt appropriate to expand on the series."

Väätäinen is a graphic design graduate currently based in Australia, and has a strong interest in character design. "Having grown up with a lot of these characters, the sense of nostalgia made it such a fascinating and a fun personal project to explore and carry on with," he said. "I was inspired by the idea of recreating these characters that we all know and love, in a way I would imagine them to look like if they were "more real," while still staying somewhat true to the unrealistic quirks in their original character designs."

[gallery=4924]

The popularity of the images has gotten him some extra notice. "With the global exposure for my work, it has resulted in many people and companies reaching out with potential projects to work on together."

Source: Jirka Väätäinen official site [http://jirkavinse.com/]. Images used with permission.

Permalink
 

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
41
I really like the pictures of Anna, Kristoff, the kid from Brave and the girl from Princess and the Frog I think it is?

Is it just me or does Alladdan have a slightly overlarge head?
 

Dango

New member
Feb 11, 2010
21,066
0
0
Why does Aladin look like Jake Gyllenhaal?

The rest of them are fine but... I dunno, maybe Jake Gyllenhaal was a good pick for Prince of Persia.

Edit: And actually, looking at it, Jane looks a lot like Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Also, for their bodies, most of their heads look huge.
 

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
8,665
0
0
OK, can somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think all of them are princesses. Or princes for that matter.
 

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
33,804
0
0
Wow, (most of) these are amazing. Excuse me while I disappear for a few minutes... >.>

Also, Lilani's gonna be spoilt for choice during the next avatar transition.
Arnoxthe1 said:
If Kida's not in here, I swear, I'm gonna slap someone...

*looks*

I'm not sure I could take it.
 

Cowabungaa

New member
Feb 10, 2008
10,806
0
0
Gaaahhhh! What is this creepy Uncanny Valley stuff?! These are like between pictures and photoshops, but I can't deny I'm a little creeped out by it all. They're extremely well done of course but...*shudders*

I think it's because they're so well done that the small mistakes stand out even more harshly. Like lips that are just a little too high or low, or a face that's just a little too pronounced, stuff like that.
[Kira Must Die said:
]Anna looks a bit like Emma Stone.
And Esla like Emma Watson for that matter.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
DoPo said:
OK, can somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think all of them are princesses. Or princes for that matter.
Female Protagonist in a Disney Movie = Disney Princess...regardless of whether or not they actually wear that title.

OT:
They fucked up with Jasmine...she looks way older than 15, which is her officially stated age.
 

Loethlin

Itchy Witch
Apr 24, 2011
199
0
0
Esmeralda's right hand is wonky as fuck.
No, scratch that, Esmeralda as a whole is a wonky, creepy contortionist.
 

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
8,665
0
0
RJ 17 said:
DoPo said:
OK, can somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think all of them are princesses. Or princes for that matter.
Female Protagonist in a Disney Movie = Disney Princess...regardless of whether or not they actually wear that title.
That...just raises more questions, as some of them aren't even protagonists. Heck, one is the evil witch antagonist Ursula from Little Mermaid and then there is Tinkerbell from Peter Pan. Although I don't know if the latter got her own movie or something, so she might be a protagonist there, but I'm fairly sure Ursula has never been a protagonist. I'm not exactly sure on whether that girl from Hercules is or isn't a protagonist in the respective installment. I would have thought she isn't, given that it's named after Hercules, but then again, I never did watch the whole of it, so I don't know.
 

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
8,687
0
0
DoPo said:
That...just raises more questions, as some of them aren't even protagonists. Heck, one is the evil witch antagonist Ursula from Little Mermaid and then there is Tinkerbell from Peter Pan. Although I don't know if the latter got her own movie or something, so she might be a protagonist there, but I'm fairly sure Ursula has never been a protagonist. I'm not exactly sure on whether that girl from Hercules is or isn't a protagonist in the respective installment. I would have thought she isn't, given that it's named after Hercules, but then again, I never did watch the whole of it, so I don't know.
Hmmm, fair point. Alright, allow me to amend my previous statement: apparently any female character in a Disney film is a Disney Princess...regardless of whether or not they actually where that title. :p

But hey, just be glad we actually had a couple months respite between this article and the last time The Escapist writers got bored enough to browse deviantart for some non-Disney renditions of Disney characters.
 

coolbond

New member
Mar 1, 2011
51
0
0
who is male number 8? and why do i think he looks like freaking swede?
(Disclaimer i am a swede myself so no racism allegations please)
 

FPLOON

Your #1 Source for the Dino Porn
Jul 10, 2013
12,531
0
0
coolbond said:
who is male number 8? and why do i think he looks like freaking swede?
(Disclaimer i am a swede myself so no racism allegations please)
Prince Phillip from Sleeping Beauty... and he's looks more like he was part of the Twilight crew... :p
Silk_Sk said:
I'm gonna feel dumb for asking but, who is princess number 7?
Jane from Tarzan... Strangely, not one of the Princesses of Heart... :p

OT: So, if they were real, they would look like various actors, actresses, and/or "models"? That's more surreal, at best...

Other than that, this artist missed Kiari for some reason... :p
 

Gronk

New member
Jun 24, 2013
100
0
0
So... Am I being a troll if I point out that Pocachontas WAS real? But probably looked nothing like that :)