What do people think about Bioware right now?

Fredvdp

Apr 9, 2009
Jandau said:
Visuals - Backgrouds were ugly, character models stood out and didn't fit into the scene, texture work was inferior, the stylized cartoonish look came off as cheap.
I strongly disagree about the textures. Dragon Age Origins had atrocious textures and at least Dragon Age II allowed you to download the high-res texture patch which had much sharper textures.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Fredvdp said:
Jandau said:
Visuals - Backgrouds were ugly, character models stood out and didn't fit into the scene, texture work was inferior, the stylized cartoonish look came off as cheap.
I strongly disagree about the textures. Dragon Age Origins had atrocious textures and at least Dragon Age II allowed you to download the high-res texture patch which had much sharper textures.
If i recall, there was a high-rez texture pack for DA1 as well. Maybe you just missed it...

Ziame

Mar 29, 2011
mass effect 3 wont be origin only i presume, as some of the extra content is labeled origin exlusive.

ME is the only series from BioWare that i really like, actually. dont care for fantasy much.

Lionsfan1986

Oct 20, 2008
Well I know I was mad at Bioware for not making a KOTOR 3 and then they made the Mass Effect games which have been awesome so far so I am looking forward to this next game. I hope it's good and there is no reason to think otherwise.

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
Didn't Electronic Arts make damn good games?

Yes they did... I wonder what happened... They got big and filthy rich and corporation-y.

What is happening to bioware? Have they gotten bigger? Yes... scary stuff.

Bioware is well on their way of losing their zing. Either that or they will release a really bad ass and awesome game that makes us forget about this for a while.

Il_Exile_lI

Jun 23, 2010
The overwhelming negativety towards Bioware is mostly unfounded, but that doesn't me they aren't at a crossroads. The people on here saying things like "Mass Effect 2 is shit" are just plain wrong. The series may not have taken the direction you wanted, and you may not like some the changes they made from the first one, but to say the game is bad is outrageous. For what it is, Mass Effect 2 is one of the best games of the past few years. I concede that many would prefer a more traditional role playing experience, but personal preferences don't make the game bad. So, what we are looking at really, is one disappointing game.
Dragon Age 2 was a rushed game with a criminally small amount unique assets. While not as epic, I found the politically driven plot quite compelling, even if the storytelling suffered from an odd disjointed narrative. Overall, Dragon Age 2 failed to meet the high standards set by Orgins, but wasn't awful.

If you look at the last several games developed by Bioware proper, I don't really see where this idea of going downhill comes from.
KOTOR- A true classic
Jade Empire- Pretty damn good
Mass Effect-Great story, so-so combat, but overall still excellent
Dragon Age Origins- A modern interpretation of the classic WRPG genre, and a great one
Mass Effect 2- Streamlined RPG mechanics are hit or miss, improved combat, fantastic game
Dragon Age 2- underwhelming

Where is this downfall of Bioware everyone is talking about. If Mass Effect 3 turns out like DA2, the quality drop becomes a trend and we have a problem, but I think having 5 of their last 6 games be outstanding, with the sixth being decent but disappointing is pretty damn good.

I do agree that things like Victory Games becoming Bioware are disconcerting, but looking at the core Bioware studio, I don't think there is cause for alarm just yet.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
Havn't bought a bioware game since Baldurs gate collection. that was their best game and I will have nothing to do with these aborted babies they are making nowadays (I'm looking at you ME3!).

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
I think it's most interesting that BioWare have been watching Skyrim recently. It's like they had no idea an RPG could be profitable, so they went along aping the most successful non-RPG they could find... Then suddenly up pops this ten-million-plus-seller singleplayer RPG, and they realize that, huh, maybe RPGs do sell after all!
It'll be interesting to see what they do with this revelation, though. Something tells me they'll follow the style of the Elder Scrolls more than anything, adding open-world elements to their existing pastiche. Which could result in my dream game... Or a game with BioWare's gameplay and Bethesda's story quality. We shall have to see.

I think the truth of Skyrim is much more complex than this, however. Rather than any specific gameplay element or appeal (though both have their place), Skyrim is an example of a game appealing to both established fans and newcomers for its own sake. No gore-and-rock-music marketing, no clumsy attempts to sell on the appeal of another genre (Hello, Hunted!) - just a game that is confident enough in itself to give the true fans what they want, and make millions of new ones in the process.
In other words, BioWare, focus on what you do best! Give us more cinematic, complex morality tales where we write the plot; more deep, rewarding tactical gameplay; more huge, complex, compelling worlds and plot twists. Don't be ashamed of what you are - of KOTOR and Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect and Dragon Age - and we won't be ashamed to call ourselves BioWare fans.

sifffffff

Oct 28, 2011
I find it interesting how many people feel if ME3 is "another DA2" Bioware's reputation will be utterly and irrevocably destroyed....

since DA2, though not a 10 / 10, A+, 100%, 5 star however you choose to rank it game, still seemed to get a pretty damned favorable critical reception from multiple sources.

The meta-score for the game from critics is a 79. Take that as you will. I think Meta-critic is bullshit and I'd have preferred not to use it as a basis for my argument but at least I can't be accused of cherry picking examples of favorable reviews.

So the argument becomes essentially, if Bioware makes another good but not great game their reputation will be destroyed. Really? Really?

demotion1

Mar 22, 2011
Right now they are my second favourite company (behind Paradox). If Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 3 are good then they will keep that place.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
All I can think of is the casual piece of crap that was dragon age 2, and "mages templars mages templars mages templars mages templars mages OH GOD SHUT UP GAME!!" They were on the ball with origins and they pissed the franchise away. No longer will I have to tolerate bioware and their dodgy 40 minute to an hour 12$ dlc as I will never, EVER buy their dlc ever again. They spat on the faces of their hardcore fans for the last time.

Oh, and multiplayer in mass effect 3. ANY time they spent on multiplayer for me3 could of been better spent tuning or adding more content to the single player, theres just no excuse.

So in otherwords mass effect 3 has to be damn amazing or I will never buy a bioware game again, the SOPA supporting bastards that they are. It's amazing how much of a 180 this company has pulled in such a small amount of time it literally blows my fucking mind.

I used to think of them as my second favorite gaming developer. Now I am developing a deep hatred for them. Seriously bioware, WHAT. THE. HELL!?!

SpaceBat

Jul 9, 2011
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Nostalgia, maybe? I have no idea, to be honest. Im not really a fan of the Star Wars universe, at all, so I never got into the KotoR games. They seemed like very good games, but the world is the main character in every RPG, and I just didnt like the world.
Maybe. it seems that people praise the plot, characters and dialogue more often than they do anything else and that is what I do not understand. Judging by your taste for games, I doubt you'd enjoy it very much if you kept playing either. It's pretty disappointing.

Apart from a certain twist, there is basically nothing praiseworthy within the plot. It leaves out a huge amount of information (back-story and such), it treats the entire game as a black-and-white story, even though it isn't and it's often very straightforward and generic. The characters, aside from Bindo, Bastilla and HK-47, are as one-dimensional as always and have barely any input into the story or the world. While the ME series makes up for this by making their characters lovable, charismatic and more, KotoR's characters are just kept to a minimum.

And the dialogue? Some people are fucking complaining about ME's Paragon-Renegade system while praising KotoR, which is hypocritical at best, seeing as KotoR does it much worse. Seriously, they've basically tried to shoehorn a Light/Dark option into every single conversation you can find and both sides are taken to an extreme (I piss pure malevolence or I love all beings). Every conversation becomes a joke.

The world is your average star wars universe as well, so I can understand why you didn't like it. I wouldn't recommend trying the first game again either. Only the second does most things right (aside from being incredibly buggy).

RedLister

Jun 14, 2011
I think bioware have gotten a bit too "DLC happy" Its a bit of a blessing and a curse. Blessing is alot of the DLC i have played for DA1 (not going to bother with DA2) and Mass effect 1 and 2 i have quite enjoyed. The curse of it being the usual argument of why couldn't they of just had it in the base game blah blah just to make a quick bit of dosh blah blah.

Second thing i fear is the fact they seem far to focused on chasing the latest fad in gaming rather and copying off them rather then sticking to what really made there games an enjoyable experience. Even more scary is i read an article about them brutally studying skyrim in there latest attempt to chase gaming fads for profit rather then sticking to the formulas which won the hearts of there fanbase over the years and the constant casualising and dumbing down there games to draw in more people while slaping there existing fans in the face does no justice at all either. I share the views of Omicron1 in this. Stick to what you do best bioware and the money will still come in.

Last thing which worries me (yes this is last i promise) is they have suddenly been working on alot of stuff lately. Theres ME3 there working on, Probably got DA3 in the works. Ongoing support for Old Republic and finally now rumours of a sequal to Command and Conquer Generals. They have never made a RTS before?...where did that idea come from? Maybe its more of EA watching over them more then bioware itself.

Not really a rant. Just a bloke who enjoys playing bioware games spreading hes concerns since i hate to see another good game company go belly up.

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
My good opinion of Bioware was thrown right in the trash after Mass Effect 2 was released.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I think that they create perfectly decent games that deserve a lot of the praise they get. I think they're a company that actually cares about good writing (whether they succeed or not is a debate for the fans)

However, since I don't really play any BioWare games, I can't have any lasting opinion.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
They're my favourite game company, they always seem to make games tailored to my tastes.

Can't say much more than that really, haters gonna hate I suppose.