What Do The Latest Changes to Magic: The Gathering Mean For You?

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
What Do The Latest Changes to Magic: The Gathering Mean For You?

Some changes are coming for Magic: The Gathering.

Read Full Article

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Playing only Eternal formats means that this doesn't really effect me, but I'm really going to miss the Core Set, just as a thing that exists.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SL33TBL1ND said:
Playing only Eternal formats means that this doesn't really effect me, but I'm really going to miss the Core Set, just as a thing that exists.
As someone that does play and think about formats besides Standard more these days I'm right there with you, but I do think that even eternal formats stand to gain a little from the changes.

Stuff like core sets or filling design holes takes up a theoretical potential for cards with eternal format impact. There's a non-zero chance for a good card that gets used up every time something like [mtg_card=Stormtide Leviathan] gets reprinted. More condensed and focused blocks may also yield more cards that can bridge the gap. It's not much, but it's better odds than what occurs currently.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Slycne said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
As someone that does play and think about formats besides Standard more these days I'm right there with you, but I do think that even eternal formats stand to gain a little from the changes.

Stuff like core sets or filling design holes takes up a theoretical potential for cards with eternal format impact. There's a non-zero chance for a good card that gets used up every time something like [mtg_card=Stormtide Leviathan] gets reprinted. More condensed and focused blocks may also yield more cards that can bridge the gap. It's not much, but it's better odds than what occurs currently.
That's true. It'd certainly be cool to see some more Eternal playable cards come out of this change. Here's hoping!

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Great, eventually Standard is going to consist of one small set, and a picture of MaRo's face on every basic land.

Slycne said:
Don't hate on my Stormtide, he was one of my favorite boards for dredge.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Sounds great!

I do "not really" play Magic anymore. I only go to a draft or prerelease event once in a while as well as a little online (draft simulator) or cube (got mountains of old-ish cards) drafting with my brother and cousin.
-Blocks: Having 2 instead of 3 sets to draft from means the draft will be just a tiny bit more consistent. More blocks hopefully also means we get to play around with new mechanics more often.
-Core Set gone: Core sets were imo the most boring to draft because they don't contain many (nor enough) of interesting mechanics. Having a new block instead of the core set will be more interesting. They could still release core sets from time to time, though. Like every 3 years or so. Yearly always felt too often.
-Standard: I love meta gaming in most games but I was never interested in Standard meta because the perceived barrier of entry because of cost and the format's staleness put me off.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
As a magic watcher and not yet player, this is great new for me =D New ideas to binge on twice a year. A whole new world and mechanical themes... I even think the story might actually end up working better with this idea. If they do a 'large large' set, which I'm sure is going to happen sooner or later, I think that might make arcs like Innistrad or New Phrexia _more_ impactful because you don't have to wait so long for the two worlds idea. And the quicker story rotation means that they can allow something to happen in one set and then build on that idea in 3 or 4 sets time

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
The only thing I don't like is that there are two types of cards that will not show up anymore (Unless they put them in supplemental products nudge nudge wink wink please do this)

1. Cards that refer to planes that will likely not get their own block.

2. Goofy, fun cards with really interesting mechanics. (Granted these might stiff show up, but likely in smaller quantities.)

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
I might actually participate in more prerelease tournaments now, if the set looks interesting, anyway. Never really cared much for core sets, I'm a flavour guy.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I play Modern because I can use removal like Path to Exile, and Lightning bolt. I also draft at FNM because I don't want to build a standard deck.

I think this change will make it intresting.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
I'm worried about some of my favorite classic cards never getting a reprint. Maybe they will include these in duel decks and the like.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
The other latest changes to Magic: the Gathering are what concern me. The last core set introduced a new look to the cards which I think looks like crap. The new font is ugly, the new border is ugly, and the designer credit is ugly.

Kuredan

Hingle McCringleberry
Dec 4, 2012
I just realized something... how can you effectively do three pack booster drafts with only two sets? Will it be 1-1-1, 2-2-2, or 1-2-2 / 1-1-2 for the second set....

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Kuredan said:
I just realized something... how can you effectively do three pack booster drafts with only two sets? Will it be 1-1-1, 2-2-2, or 1-2-2 / 1-1-2 for the second set....
It'll be 2/1/1 as usual barring an unannounced change. Did you think people just stopped drafting between February and May every year?

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
-Two Set Blocks
After the clusterfuck of card-power balance that was Lorwn<->Shadowmoor, I doubt a change to two set block will do much to thwart the front-loading issue.

I mean...Shadowmoore and Eventide happened. And Eventide was especially terrible. (fuck Blue. Fuck Blue up the ASS. Enemy blue cards need to SUCK because Faerie decks are WAY OP right now. So...Heeeere's Cracklburr!)

-Eliminating Core Sets?
That looks like an obvious cost cutting measure; which is just as well since I haven't bought into a Core Set since 2010.
Which is a real shame because M10 and M11 were really good for Core Sets. (This latest set was especially weak.)

-18 month rotations instead of 24
This means that new solves can rotate into a stagnant/locked format without the need for bans.
On the other, this makes the Standard Format Arms Race factor greater on account of overall speed.

Impulse purchases for decks may hurt more as a result, though as fucking outrageous as singles prices have become for so many things (seriously; competitive Modern-legal decks should NOT be pushing 400 bucks each, let alone 1000) I get the feeling this will be one of those things that only bothers the penny pinchers among us.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
-Two Set Blocks
After the clusterfuck of card-power balance that was Lorwn<->Shadowmoor, I doubt a change to two set block will do much to thwart the front-loading issue.

I mean...Shadowmoore and Eventide happened. And Eventide was especially terrible. (fuck Blue. Fuck Blue up the ASS. Enemy blue cards need to SUCK because Faerie decks are WAY OP right now. So...Heeeere's Cracklburr!)

-Eliminating Core Sets?
That looks like an obvious cost cutting measure; which is just as well since I haven't bought into a Core Set since 2010.
Which is a real shame because M10 and M11 were really good for Core Sets. (This latest set was especially weak.)

This means that new solves can rotate into a stagnant/locked format without the need for bans.
On the other, this makes the Standard Format Arms Race factor greater on account of overall speed.

Impulse purchases for decks may hurt more as a result, though as fucking outrageous as singles prices have become for so many things (seriously; competitive Modern-legal decks should NOT be pushing 400 bucks each, let alone 1000) I get the feeling this will be one of those things that only bothers the penny pinchers among us.
I'm still about 1500 from Shardless BUG in Legacy, and that's only 3 duals and fetches.

I was lucky with Modern Affinity because I picked up the opals before the Legendary Rule changed, and I had most of the cards. I hope we see more reprints to keep modern costs down.

Catrixa

May 21, 2011
This change creates and solves issues for me in so many different ways I can't really say it's beneficial for me or not...

On the one hand, faster sets means revisiting worlds I like more often than once every jillion years. I'm still waiting for the New Phyrexia vs. Eldrazi vs. Slivers set that somehow leads to all slivers getting annihilator and can be cast with phyrexian mana... Also, finding out what happens to Elspeth after the Theros block (because something will happen to her for sure) would be nice. Having a faster rotating standard would also get rid of things like Sphinx's, Thoughtseize, and Pack Rat faster, which would open the door for some more interesting strategies (for me).

On the other hand, buying boxes to have many standard staples and buying cards for fringe/temporarily interesting decks is pretty much out. It's nice to have 4x of every potentially useful rare if you're buying them for 24 months of use, but my local game store does not run standards often enough to justify buying as much as I have for 18 months of use. I guess this is great for my checkbook, but it's not as much fun as trying a new deck every time standard does roll around. I'll definitely have to be more picky when it comes to picking out a deck. On the bright side, I'm not stuck with that deck too long anyway (since some of it will inevitably be invalidated in a short time anyway), so that'll keep things reasonably fresh. And if there aren't any decks in a standard iteration that strike my fancy (weird, drawn-out combo, wherefore art thou?), I can just wait until the block rotates. This might mean playing less (if there aren't any standards at my lgs for a whole block, or if there aren't any strategies I like available), but I'll definitely save more (and have more money to devote to modern).

On a potential third hand, not having core sets will be awesomely horribly terriblawsome? Random reprints with plane/setting/character names (like Urborg, Phyrexian Revoker, etc.) won't happen in standard, which might suck for modern card prices if there aren't enough supplemental products with those cards. A super generic draft set won't be around either, and those can be fun sometimes (simple mechanics can be amusing every now and then...). Getting a mound of reprint x will be nice to avoid, and having a higher chance of fetches (and other beginner-unfriendly rares) getting a reprint will also be nice.

And, heck, Tarmogoyf wasn't ultra-oppressive in standard back in the day, so maybe he'll get a reprint in the new standard. He'd have even less of a chance of ruining the meta if he's not in standard longer than 18 months. I can dream, right?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
-Two Set Blocks

-Eliminating Core Sets?

But don't you know? If you're not spending thousands on a deck you're playing the game wrong.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
RaikuFA said:
But don't you know? If you're not spending thousands on a deck you're playing the game wrong.
Sounds eerily similar to certain other competitive hobby games.

...For some reason, I'm suddenly thinking of chainsaws, outrageously large firearms, and men wearing half a car.

vxicepickxv said:
I'm still about 1500 from Shardless BUG in Legacy, and that's only 3 duals and fetches.

I was lucky with Modern Affinity because I picked up the opals before the Legendary Rule changed, and I had most of the cards. I hope we see more reprints to keep modern costs down.
Best of luck to you in finishing that.
I gave up on Legacy shortly after starting, because in the span of a year, the prices on EVERYTHING shot into the sky; especially for anything with blue.

Still...1500 dollars for fancy cardboard.
As interesting as the economics behind it gets, that still makes me weep.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
RaikuFA said:
Sounds eerily similar to certain other competitive hobby games.

...For some reason, I'm suddenly thinking of chainsaws, outrageously large firearms, and men wearing half a car.
Warhammer, I'm assuming?