What do you disagree with Yahtzee on?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
sanquin said:
Yahtzee is not a reviewer. He's a comedian. His video's are meant to be entertaining and good for a few chuckles. To take them seriously to the extend of asking who disagrees with what points of him is just wrong in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't disagree with a lot of what he says needs to crawl out of their cynical cave and look at the real world. Because he exaggerates the negatives...a lot. At least that's how I see it.
You can agree with something even if it's exaggerated. His points are valid even though he's a comedian and he still got opinions of games. He doesn't make shit up, he does point out flaws that he find and I find myself agreeing a lot with what he brings up, but I often disagree with the overall opinion of the game. It's silly to say you can't agree with someone because he/she is a comedian, in fact comedians often play this card to get laughs.

OT: I usually disagree the most when he talks about JRPGs, I do in fact like a lot of them, but none of the ones he has reviewed so I can't be 100% sure on this.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
I love Yahtzee's videos, even (maybe especially?) of games I have zero interest in ever playing. However, I tend to dislike his reviews of Bioware games.
The point- to me- of a Bioware game is the story, the characters, the building of your OWN character and involving them in that world. The gameplay is something to tie it all together, but the writing is the most important part. As someone who loves that about Bioware games, it really bothers me when he goes "blah blah yeah the writing is good but it's to be expected moving on".
It's... the most important part, at least in my opinion, of a Bioware game. It's why I like them. To casually dismiss it, to make it sound unimportant and/or of lesser importance to the gameplay seems to be wilfully ignoring what was being aimed for.

But maybe I'm alone in that opinion. Doesn't matter, and it doesn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying ZP.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Nazulu said:
I didn't know about this article but I got the idea it's not his thing. However, it's just that he states so bluntly in his Shadow of the Colossus review and I reject it so since he hasn't even played the top RTS games to even make that comparison.
Ah, I see. I'd completely forgotten that his Shadow of the Colossus review made mention of Starcraft 2 at all until I read this and rewatched it. So yeah, I can see where you might take issue.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Ren_Li said:
(..) The gameplay is something to tie it all together, but the writing is the most important part. As someone who loves that about Bioware games, it really bothers me when he goes "blah blah yeah the writing is good but it's to be expected moving on".
It's... the most important part, at least in my opinion, of a Bioware game. It's why I like them. To casually dismiss it, to make it sound unimportant and/or of lesser importance to the gameplay seems to be wilfully ignoring what was being aimed for.
"(...) I might even admit that Tom Clancy's HAWX might've sold me on the genre, but that's not funny so let's find something else to rip on"
"(...) But you don't call a sewage technitian to redecorate your bathroom and you don't come to me to hear how a game is good"

Yeah, I kinda think that explains it all.

Ren_Li

Mar 7, 2012
Grach said:
Ren_Li said:
(..) The gameplay is something to tie it all together, but the writing is the most important part. As someone who loves that about Bioware games, it really bothers me when he goes "blah blah yeah the writing is good but it's to be expected moving on".
"(...) I might even admit that Tom Clancy's HAWX might've sold me on the genre, but that's not funny so let's find something else to rip on"
"(...) But you don't call a sewage technitian to redecorate your bathroom and you don't come to me to hear how a game is good"

Yeah, I kinda think that explains it all.
Agreed that Yahtzee gushing about how much he loves a game would be... Well, unnerving, among other things. But there are criticisms about the writing which could be addressed; and surely, if the writing and characters are the main point, they should be addressed, not ignored because much of the writing is good and Yahtzee focuses on critique rather than praise.
But. Again, my opinion.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Nazulu said:
Don't get me wrong, Yahtzee is still one of my favourite critics, but I just like to get it out. So what opinions of Yahtzee's do you disagree with? If you disagree with everything he says then just bring up the biggest.
Here's the thing I don't understand - why would you have to agree with Yahtzee to like him? You are obviously more enlightened than some (like the person you were talking to in your example) and can appreciate Yahtzee without having to agree with everything he says.

The biggest reason I like Yahtzee is because he is a true Critic - he critiques things. He analyzes them and tells you how the work. And THEN he says if he likes it or not.

I value Yahtzee as a critic because of his critiques and analysis. Yahtzee has often talked me into buying a game by giving it a BAD review, but noting aspects of gameplay that I like. Case in point:

If Yahtzee says a game (particularly an RPG) is "slow" or "boring" then I will probably like it. I like slower RPGs - particularly JRPGs. I used to play Chessmaster on the NES - I like games where I can take my time, think, and then take an action.

So, when (for instance) Yahtzee said that the reboot of Prince of Persia felt like a JRPG... I went out and bought the game. And LOVED it. I also tried Sands of Time and HATED it.

Yahtzee was particularly vitriolic about the Witcher. I avoided it for years because of it's sexist cards and because I'd heard from other RPG fans that it wasn't good. However, I recently gave it a try (damn you GOG) and... I quite like it. Yahtzee goes on quite a bit about no tutorial for potion making in the game. ... except there is one. It's one of the first quests you get, and it's mandatory. Potion making is absurdly simple - have the components, click on the recipe you want, and DONE. I'll admit, there is a secondary aspect (the -bedos) that isn't explained, but you can get through the game without using that aspect with no problems. Likewise, the combat is not one-click. You have to click for every attack, and the game prompts you for exact timing (for combos). There are a LOT of modern RPGs where you can click on an enemy and then let the game play itself - the Witcher is not one of them.

I'll give him the researching monsters thing, but all it requires is reading every book you come across.

Anyway, while the game does have it's dull moments (Chapter 2, I'm looking at you) it's pretty fun overall, even if you find the sex cards to be annoying (as I do).

But anyway, what do I disagree with Yahtzee about? What a good game is, mostly. However, since he gives full critiques rather than reviews, I can still spot games I will like (with a high degree of accuracy) from his critiques even if his opinion of a game and mine differ greatly.

I have bought some games on Yahtzee's recommendation. I have bought more on his seething hatred. If Yahtzee hates a game a certain way, I am almost guaranteed to like it.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
kman123 said:
I disagree with him on a lot. Remember that he exaggerates his negatives in order to bring more comedic value to his videos, and a lot of games that he derided I actually enjoyed.
I'm in the same boat.
To be fair, the flaws he points out are valid, he just blows them way out of proportion. And I've never decided not to play a game based on his reviews. Come to think of it, I don't know who would. If you based you're gaming decisions on his reviews, you'd end up playing like, what, two, three, four games?

HeroKing89

Nov 9, 2009
Lemme see...

Bioshock Infinite's Ending isn't pretentious and the gameplay itself was just kinda eh.

New Silent Hills while possibly not being as good as the older games, are still leaps and bounds better then most games. The story telling aspect is especially high (SM having the best overall narrative second only the SH2)

Dante's Inferno was quite good and incredibly immersive save for some pretty big problems towards the tail of the game.

Dark Souls and Demon Souls are quite a cut above most games and has some of the best gameplay in any series period. Although I admit that it isn't intuitive, it isn't so soul crushingly frustrating as long as you take things slow and keep your wits about you

DmC was meh at best and at worst an atrocity

oh that's enough for now I suppose

Aidan Belton-schure

Sep 1, 2012
5ilver said:
He once implied rape is worse than murder. Also, his opinion regarding the ending of Bioshock Infinite. Those are the only 2 things I can think of.
Not being funny or anything, but I would probably prefer to be murdered than raped. The caveat being that it was rape by a man and that the murder did not include torture.
As for The ending of Infinite - uhh - it was good. So there.

southparkdudez

Feb 7, 2010
Well I don't disagree with Yahtzee because he dose this stuff for comedy in my opinion I find him funny and I laugh at the stuff that's bad about my favorite games he pokes fun off. Ex, I love Assassin's Creed, he makes fun of how slow you need to make your horse go or the guards think you are up to trouble. Yeah got to agree with him, still I love the game to death.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I always hate it when he brings up his "a game has to stand a singleplayer alone" argument. I mean, at least if you're going to do that then don't review multiplayer-centric games like Battlefield and then give it a score based on the campaign.

JLink

Apr 10, 2013
Hutcher said:
One of the things that really seems to frustrate him is lack of perceived evolution. He really hates game series and companies that constantly release very similar games with few real changes. This is a big bone of contention for him with companies like Nintendo; he usually doesn't claim that their games are badly designed or not fun, he's levelling the valid criticism that they tend to make games that are very similar to one another with no significant evolution.

I think every gamer appreciates a certain degree of repetitive or familiar gameplay, though. Borderlands 2 is in all honesty quite similar to Borderlands, but I enjoyed both of them (though clearly not as much as some). I like the Halo games but again, he has a valid criticism of them, stating that for a game styled "Combat Evolved", it doesn't really do much of the latter.

I'd say that Yahtzee himself displays a certain aprpeciation for some repetitive elements of gameplay; he constantly berates games with horror elements for being too action-oriented for example. I think this is really a gamer thing; evolutino is important, but we all have certain repetitive or even over0used gameplay elements and tropes that we can;t help but like.
I think the parts about evolution are kind of ironic and amusing considering how much he loves Infinite despite the gameplay of it playing like a mediocre shooter I would find on the PS2 instead of an evolution of the shooting in Bioshock. But then again I think that ties into something that I mentioned earlier, which is that when Yahtzee really likes a games story, everything else becomes a lot less important.

Baron_Rouge

Oct 30, 2009
I kinda disagree with his love for Steam, and Valve in general. To me, Steam is intrusive and inconvenient, and Valve makes funny, well written, though ultimately only pretty good games. Just my personal opinion though.

I also disagree with him on the Wii-U. While I don't see much reason to get one now, I certainly think it has potential, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with it.

I also think Bioshock 2 was amazing, and, while not quite as magical as 1 or Infinite, had the tightest gameplay of the series, and some truly memorable characters, especially in Minerva's Den.

I disagree with him on quite a lot of things, actually, because he's quite a cynical person and I'm fundamentally an optimist, but those are the main things.

EDIT: Oh, and also pretty much everything in his review of Valkyria Chronicles. I think he missed the point completely and let his biases about JRPGs get in the way of delivering a good review. Also, some of the things he said were just flat-out wrong.

kgpspyguy

Apr 18, 2011
He was really hard on Bioshock 2 (and even Bioshock 1).I just feel like he didn't give them enough credit.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Bara_no_Hime said:
Nazulu said:
Don't get me wrong, Yahtzee is still one of my favourite critics, but I just like to get it out. So what opinions of Yahtzee's do you disagree with? If you disagree with everything he says then just bring up the biggest.
Here's the thing I don't understand - why would you have to agree with Yahtzee to like him? You are obviously more enlightened than some (like the person you were talking to in your example) and can appreciate Yahtzee without having to agree with everything he says.

The biggest reason I like Yahtzee is because he is a true Critic - he critiques things. He analyzes them and tells you how the work. And THEN he says if he likes it or not.

I value Yahtzee as a critic because of his critiques and analysis. Yahtzee has often talked me into buying a game by giving it a BAD review, but noting aspects of gameplay that I like. Case in point:

If Yahtzee says a game (particularly an RPG) is "slow" or "boring" then I will probably like it. I like slower RPGs - particularly JRPGs. I used to play Chessmaster on the NES - I like games where I can take my time, think, and then take an action.

So, when (for instance) Yahtzee said that the reboot of Prince of Persia felt like a JRPG... I went out and bought the game. And LOVED it. I also tried Sands of Time and HATED it.

Yahtzee was particularly vitriolic about the Witcher. I avoided it for years because of it's sexist cards and because I'd heard from other RPG fans that it wasn't good. However, I recently gave it a try (damn you GOG) and... I quite like it. Yahtzee goes on quite a bit about no tutorial for potion making in the game. ... except there is one. It's one of the first quests you get, and it's mandatory. Potion making is absurdly simple - have the components, click on the recipe you want, and DONE. I'll admit, there is a secondary aspect (the -bedos) that isn't explained, but you can get through the game without using that aspect with no problems. Likewise, the combat is not one-click. You have to click for every attack, and the game prompts you for exact timing (for combos). There are a LOT of modern RPGs where you can click on an enemy and then let the game play itself - the Witcher is not one of them.

I'll give him the researching monsters thing, but all it requires is reading every book you come across.

Anyway, while the game does have it's dull moments (Chapter 2, I'm looking at you) it's pretty fun overall, even if you find the sex cards to be annoying (as I do).

But anyway, what do I disagree with Yahtzee about? What a good game is, mostly. However, since he gives full critiques rather than reviews, I can still spot games I will like (with a high degree of accuracy) from his critiques even if his opinion of a game and mine differ greatly.

I have bought some games on Yahtzee's recommendation. I have bought more on his seething hatred. If Yahtzee hates a game a certain way, I am almost guaranteed to like it.
Damn. I knew I made that too obvious. It's not exactly that I have to agree with someone so I can like them (I don't agree with any of Jon Trons lists). I love Yahtzee's show because he can make a point with funny analogies and what not. However, I will admit I put his opinion above others when it comes to certain games because I can't find anyone to acknowledge the certain issues I have with those games. You know when something becomes extremely popular but there's something you need to enjoy that game that isn't there and you feel like no one cares when you want to talk about it. Or maybe you don't, but it just nice those important pieces aren't ignored.

Anyway, I can see what you mean when he criticizes slow games and other styles. He usually does make it obvious when it's a game he's just not into (such as TWEWY or Eve Online) when he starts describing the fan base as some strange inhabitants. Usually when he's talking about a horror game not being scary, I just know it will scare me, so I become curious and look into those games.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Nazulu said:
I didn't know about this article but I got the idea it's not his thing. However, it's just that he states so bluntly in his Shadow of the Colossus review and I reject it so since he hasn't even played the top RTS games to even make that comparison.
Ah, I see. I'd completely forgotten that his Shadow of the Colossus review made mention of Starcraft 2 at all until I read this and rewatched it. So yeah, I can see where you might take issue.
I don't really take issue with it, a lot of my favourite games I know he would discard as nothing. It's just he's so good at what he does and it's a real shame there is so many play styles he can't get into. Some of these genre's really seem like a dying breed as well.

Nazulu

Jun 5, 2008
Gatx said:
I always hate it when he brings up his "a game has to stand a singleplayer alone" argument. I mean, at least if you're going to do that then don't review multiplayer-centric games like Battlefield and then give it a score based on the campaign.
I don't think he gets a choice, but I could be wrong. In some of his vids (like SSBB) he clearly wants to avoid some games but gives the feeling he had to do it. He admitted his biased against multiplayer based games so all we can do is take it with mountainous piles of salt. I think he also said in his Crysis 3 review that he couldn't kill just for fun, he needs a purpose for that type of thing.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Nazulu said:
Damn. I knew I made that too obvious. It's not exactly that I have to agree with someone so I can like them (I don't agree with any of Jon Trons lists).
Actually, if you look at my original post, I excepted you from that comment, stating that I didn't feel you were like the individuals I was describing. :p

However, I've heard it a lot from other people (mostly people who don't like Yahtzee) - that people who like Yahtzee as a reviewer must mindlessly agree with his opinions. I disagree with Yahtzee often, but I still find his analysis to be very helpful in making decisions about purchases. Not because he tells me to like something, but because he explains why he does or does not like something.

I was mostly replying to that previous argument (and some who echoed it early in this thread).

Nazulu said:
Anyway, I can see what you mean when he criticizes slow games and other styles. He usually does make it obvious when it's a game he's just not into when he starts describing the fan base as some strange inhabitants. Usually when he's talking about a horror game not being scary, I just know it will scare me, so I become curious and look into those games.
Indeed. And I don't necessarily mind the humorous attacks on a game's audience. I'm a JRPG player, and Yahtzee has throw more insults at JRPGs than any other game genre I can think of. **shrug** When Yahtzee does that, I just know that I will likely enjoy the results.

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
I disagree with allot of things he says but I think the big one is his negative opinion on the Metal Gear Solid games, specifically MGS4, which is still one of my favorite games this console generation. However his criticisms were quite valid more often then not, Hideo Kojima really does need an editor of some description, and the gameplay/cutscene ratio is very skewed to be sure. But that's kinda what I like about Yahtzee, he makes you look at games from a different perspective, helps you find the faults in even some of your favorites, and without acknowledging past mistakes, how can we ever hope to correct them in future games?

And besides, Yahtzee's just one dude, with just one opinion, so naturally you'll disagree with him from time to time.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm always puzzled why people seem to think that because something is funny it lacks relevance. "Yahtzee is not a reviewer or a critic AT ALL, he's just a funny man who makes jokey jokes." Anybody using this line just comes across as dismissing any criticism he's made, most of which are very grounded, soley because the way he brings it makes you laugh.