What do you disagree with Yahtzee on?

SoranMBane

May 24, 2009
My biggest disagreement with him is probably when it comes to the Dead Space series (1 & 2, at least). I do agree that they aren't particularly scary, especially compared to something like Silent Hill, I just don't agree that this is a flaw. There's absolutely nothing wrong with just being an excellent action game with a horror aesthetic.

Also, I thought Portal 2 was the best game ever made, not just the best game of 2011. He's selling it short.

JimB

Apr 1, 2012
I have no idea if this is an actual opinion or just a joke, but I disagree pretty strongly with his stance (espoused in one of the E3 videos, I think) that it's better to start from a low opinion of everything sight unseen.

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
sanquin said:
Yahtzee is not a reviewer. He's a comedian. His video's are meant to be entertaining and good for a few chuckles. To take them seriously to the extend of asking who disagrees with what points of him is just wrong in my opinion. Anyone who doesn't disagree with a lot of what he says needs to crawl out of their cynical cave and look at the real world. Because he exaggerates the negatives...a lot. At least that's how I see it.
He's a critic. This is something I find very annoying. He's not a reviewer, he's a critic...it's what he calls himself.

"Yes I point out every little thing that's bad about a game, but I'm a critic. It would be weird if I didn't."

"Yes I exaggerate all the negative aspects of a game regardless of overall quality, but how else will developers learn?"

So what he says in his videos is his opinion, just slightly exaggerated. So yes, you can take things he says very seriously, especially when he goes over them in his written column on this very site.

OT: I don't disagree with a lot, really. Everybody today is so knee-jerk reaction to any negative opinion or slight hint of cynicism that it's refreshing to get some now and then.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
What do you mean, disagree with? There's nothing to disagree with. Yahtzee has no opinions, he's an entertainer. He's an adorable man who rambles in witty, amusing ways, but his ramblings have no true substance. He contradicts himself repeatedly (this game tries too hard, that game doesn't try hard enough, the industry never innovates, the industry innovates for its own sake, this game is full of flaws but I love it because it's entertaining, that game is too serious, this one doesn't do humour right) and his greatest joy in life seems to troll his fans and the gaming industry/culture in general.

I watch him because he's amusing, not because I expect actual coherent opinions (I go to the Jimquisition for that).

Gunjester

Mar 31, 2010
Nazulu said:
Don't get me wrong, Yahtzee is still one of my favourite critics, but I just like to get it out. So what opinions of Yahtzee's do you disagree with? If you disagree with everything he says then just bring up the biggest.
I disagree with basically anything he says about high fantasy and dark fantasy RPGs. I also agree that there is a lot of satisfaction in macromanaging an army and proving to be a better strategist than the opponent without ever actually picking up a gun/sword.
But yeah, he bitches and moans about cookie-cutter fantasy races and the overuse of dragons and elves, but never bitches and moans about using, say, spaceships and laser blasters in scifi. Where I would say "Dragons in Fantasy" = "Spaceships in Scifi", they're not required but nice to have.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
Mass effect (all three) although he does have some valid points, he blows them way out of proportion
also both Borderlands games, he didn't really have any good points for those though.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Yahtzee and I disagree on Halo, seeing as I don't think it ruined the FPS genre and he does. I also don't think Halo is shit. I also have a soft spot for Fable, despite its flaws. And I'm far more enthusiastic about Pokemon than he was, though we do ask some of the same questions about it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Only a few off the top of my head.

1.) I tried painkiller but it really didn't do much for me. Strangely enough, I enjoyed the hell out of Serious Sam so I keep thinking I should like Painkiller.

2. COD: MW2. Yathzee really didn't like it. Yes, it was over the top and the story tends to skip steps on the way to the ending(not to mention some things really don't make much sense) but I enjoy the hell out of it anyway.

3. I also enjoyed the taletell MI games, though I felt the final part was a bit of a letdown.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I like Yahtzee, because like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, his satire and joking reveal a layer of truth about his subject. But I don't agree with everything he says and blindly accept his word as law (besides, I couldn't watch his videos if I were blind, I'd miss half the material!), and I do not hate RTS's. If they're compelling to play and provide a challenge (without being impossible), that's good. I also genuinely like two of his favorite hate target series, Halo and Metal Gear Solid. Both are game-changers of the industry and have spawned legions of imitators and duplicators, for good and ill. I did not, nor do I plan to, play Spec Ops: The Line, because what I heard of it made it sound like not the game for me. I like my game stories to make me feel like I'm a hero whose actions matter and tell me a satisfying story, and not have it yell at me, call me a bastard, and expect me to keep playing the way it tells me to (I got more than enough of that from Homefront). On a related note, when he crowbars a jab at American politics, that just interrupts the flow and humor of the topic at hand. It's like one of Simpsons episodes from one the recent (and BAD) seasons.
Then again, we share a lot of similar opinions on JRPG's, cash-grab sequels, grey-brown shooters that try to pass themselves off as "gritty realism", and useless gimmicks for the sake of gimmickry. I'd be lying if I said none of my current opinions about gaming weren't shaped by Yahtzee.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
GodzillaGuy92 said:
Nazulu said:
Big like: real time strategy games can't compete with the snake riding experience in Shadow of the Colossus. To me that's just crap. There is still a lot of room for improvement and it goes against my motto, "anything is possible with art".
Is that actually what he claimed, though? Below is a quote from the Extra Punctuation article "On RTS Games" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/7938-On-RTS-Games], where he states rather plainly not that there's anything wrong with the RTS genre, but that they're just not to his taste:

Yahtzee said:
I'm not saying [Starcraft 2]'s bad or an unnecessary sequel, although it could well be both of those things. I'm saying my opinion on StarCraft 2, or indeed any real time strategy game, is about as much use as Roger Ebert's opinion on gaming as a whole. Or Ug the caveman's opinion on the diesel engine. I don't play them. I've never been able to get into them. They're just not my cup of tea. Okay?
I didn't know about this article but I got the idea it's not his thing. However, it's just that he states so bluntly in his Shadow of the Colossus review and I reject it so since he hasn't even played the top RTS games to even make that comparison.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Evil Top Hat said:
amuasyeas said:
Many things. He has an unbelievably short attention span and can't appreciate game complexity or depth.

Translation: He didn't enjoy some games I liked.
Please don't do that. These are not healthy assumptions, and they can easily be countered with as much truth as calling you a Yahtzee fanboy or something just as painful.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
There are lots of little things I disagree with on, I can't go digging through them all now since I tend to think them when viewing then forget them just as fast.

He exaggerates and heightens his opinions to large degrees, his feelings on these things probably AREN'T as strong as the jokes and jabs make it out to be.

So call me a 'blind yahtzee fangirl' but I know a show when I see it and when to take the jokes just as jokes.

He has likes and dislikes and it influences his act, so just let him do it, sometimes you'll laugh, sometimes you'll tilt your head, but for the love of pete don't get your knickers in a bunch over it.

Get your knickers in a bunch if he says in normal speaking voice at the end 'okay now i'm off to go shoot myself and this series is over, goodbye'. Only then should you consider taking him seriously and even then I'd have a few seconds of 'where's the punchline...?'.

Also he is not a reviewer when he's doing Zero Punctuation. It's entertainment.

In his articles and such he can be taken to whatever degrees you want and bitched over on their appropriate threads.

Hutcher

Apr 10, 2013
One of the things that really seems to frustrate him is lack of perceived evolution. He really hates game series and companies that constantly release very similar games with few real changes. This is a big bone of contention for him with companies like Nintendo; he usually doesn't claim that their games are badly designed or not fun, he's levelling the valid criticism that they tend to make games that are very similar to one another with no significant evolution.

I think every gamer appreciates a certain degree of repetitive or familiar gameplay, though. Borderlands 2 is in all honesty quite similar to Borderlands, but I enjoyed both of them (though clearly not as much as some). I like the Halo games but again, he has a valid criticism of them, stating that for a game styled "Combat Evolved", it doesn't really do much of the latter.

I'd say that Yahtzee himself displays a certain aprpeciation for some repetitive elements of gameplay; he constantly berates games with horror elements for being too action-oriented for example. I think this is really a gamer thing; evolutino is important, but we all have certain repetitive or even over0used gameplay elements and tropes that we can;t help but like.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
I actually disagree with him on Silent Hill (one of my all time favourite franchises, so I'm biased). I don't think the franchise is dead at all. In fact, if the rumours are true and Kojima is directing the next one, I think it could be more "alive" than ever. Also, he liked Homecoming while I did not.

Defeated Detective

Sep 30, 2012
Posted by numerous posters before me, I disagree with his Witcher 1/2 reviews in a lot of points, but so far pretty much just that.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
WhyWasThat said:
Oh yes and Demon's Souls. He was too lazy to even try and get past the first couple of levels. Granted that 'review' was more comedic because he basically said that the reason he didn't like it was because he was too shit to actually play it.
That's not an excuse. If the game doesn't teach you how to play it before it ramps up the difficulty, it's not difficult. It's being obtuse. Dark/Demon's Souls is a good aesthetic and controls, but it's fans and the touted difficulty are inexcusable.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Whenever I watch a yahtzee video, I almost always agree with most of his points other than his overall opinion of the game. The thing about it for me is that the things which he rags on are very rarely game breakers for me.
That and his dislike of RTS games and pokemon.