What do you do for a living?

Landslide

Jun 13, 2002
TomBeraha said:
I'm still getting used to the new look, so for now I'm blaming you. :)

I work as a Manager at a Panera Bread in Virginia. I occasionally moonlight as a freelance web coder, but my food service work has been overtaking my web work of late.
*Jedi powers* You will give me the recipe for the broccoli and cheddar soup.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Someone at an E3 party asked me this question. I replied "I write about videogames for a living." He laughed, said "I know," and then refined his query. It was a first for me. Usually the stock answer is enough.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Chomp cigars and yell about deadlines.

Also, Land, while you're at it, wanna grab the recipe for the chicken and wild rice soup? Or just a coupon for a lifetime supply of panera soup will suffice.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Nothing against Mr. Beraha, but I'm not much of a Panera fan. It's got some good salads, haven't tried the soup, but they seem to have the toughest bread of any restaurant I've been to. I just can't enjoy a sandwich there.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I occasionally go to a Panera with coworkers, and personally, I'm a freak, I hate sandwiches in general. My supervisor also dislikes Panera sandwiches. BUT, half of my coworkers swear by the soups, especially in the bread bowls, and I'm a big fan of some of the salads. Despite being "all about the bread", I've never heard anyone really rave about the bread, but I've also never heard anyone unable to find something they enjoyed.

Vrikk

Sep 26, 2006
Company intern monkey, post-high school education monkey, and retail game store monkey.

Dec 27, 2005
thewanderer14 said:
I actually just pitched an Escapist-like model for a student run gaming magazine. Fatal1ty was brought up... it was not received well, and when I kept mentioning the words "mature gaming criticism" and "cultural nuance" I kept hearing "sex," "violence," "headshots," and "NC-17."
Hey, what's a good descriptive word for "adult", "mature", etc that doesn't instantly get the listener to think Pr0n or something else not good for kids? Maybe something that implies "boring to kids"; not "bad for kids"? Along the same lines: why is it that games tend to be either "for some type of kid" or...

thewanderer14 said:
"sex," "violence," "headshots," and "NC-17."

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Stinky-Dinkins said:
Photogrammetrist.
An occupation Wikipedia knew nothing about, but Dictionary.com did.

Now that I know what it is, I have to ask, how did you get into it?

Sep 7, 2007
Starting in Survey it's kind of a natural transition. Lots of engineering firms have Survey, cad editing, photogrammetry, etc. divisions under one roof, and when people get tired of working outside in survey the transition into photogrammetry is easier than scouting out an entirely new place to work.

Need... new job.

Redfeather

Sep 18, 2007
I blow people behind the local 7-11 for spare change.

Oh wait, no...I'm a writer. I'd make more money blowing hobos behind the Stop and Rob for change. Ask me about my last project wherein I made .001 cents per word (true story!).

*weep*

Edited to add: This is also why I returned to school and am a physics major, but I'm currently taking some time off in my quest to become a cyborg. (And as unbelievable as that sounds...also true!)

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
To pay the bills, quality analysis at an inbound call centre. ("Your call may be recorded...")

To atone for manifold sins, moderate a game forum.

And, in my spare time, reshape the worlds of others in insidious manners.

-- Steve