What do you do to carol singers?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
It's fast approaching Christmas and, no doubt, soon the carol singers will be knocking on doors (if they haven't already!). So, if you have a knock at your door over the next few weeks and it ends up being carol singers, will you be happy to listen and give them money or just shut the door?

As much as I like Christmas, I don't like having to give people money just because they stood there and sang a song for 30 seconds so I'd probably so 'no thanks' and shut the door. HUMBUG!

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I'm way too far off of the road. We don't get carolers, we don't get trick-or-treaters on Halloween, we don't get Mormons, college students, or Girl Scouts.

I kind of wish we got Girl Scouts. Mmmm... Thin Mints....

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
The only carolers we get ride like 2 miles on a horse to even get to our house (plus they make up like 70% of our neighbors in a 5 mile radius), so we listen politely and go back inside.

Even if I did get more than one group of carolers a year, I'd probably still like it. I've never understood money to be part of the caroling equation though.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
We don't get carolers in these parts... Not since the "Incident"

Srs now, we don't get any. If we did, I'd probably just laugh and laugh...

May 17, 2010
We very very rarely get Carol Singers. We do give them money though, it is a nice treat.

TheFunPolice

Mar 29, 2011
Those...Exist? O_O

I live in the isolated countryside of England, on top of a massive hill, if carol singers come to visit me without transport, they're likely to die by the time they reach my doorstep xD

But if they I were to actually encounter them on my front door, I'd probably just force a smile on my face and non-nonchalantly lean on my door frame and depending on their performance, I may end up giving them some money and wishing them a merry christmas.

But they should seriously consider incorporating a Harpsichord into their caroling.

[small] it always needs more harpsichord [/small]

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
I remember once a few years ago I opened the door for some carol singers. I just stood there looking confused for a few minutes whilst they sung to me, and then called my mum over to give them money or whatever it is they want.

Now I'm a bit older I think I'd probably try and cut them off before they sang and say I really need a poo or something so aren't interested.

capper42

Nov 20, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
I'm way too far off of the road. We don't get carolers, we don't get trick-or-treaters on Halloween, we don't get Mormons, college students, or Girl Scouts.

I kind of wish we got Girl Scouts. Mmmm... Thin Mints....
I thought this was going in a dangerous direction until the last two words.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
I unleash the guard dogs, or if I'm particularly feeling particularly filled with the Christmas spirit of generosity, have them thrown to the sharks.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
I've never even seen a carol singer.
I didn't even think that was a thing anymore.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I'd take influence from the great lord Bean himself, pull up a chair and enjoy the singing. Then once they're done, just shut the door in their face and go about business as usual.

Ha.. ha, well I actually despise carols, so I'd just tell them to be off anyway. I'm not sure how common this carol-singing-at-door thing is here in Australia, I've never seen it done before.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
We've never really had carol singers in my town for whatever reason. It's actually kinda odd, come to think of it, since I'm in a quiet little residential neighborhood.

That said... I'd probably just end up ignoring them. I wouldn't shoo them away or anything, since it's not that I'm trying to rain on their parade or anything... I just really don't enjoy Christmas music. Like... at all. Multiple holiday seasons in retail will do that to a person.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Never had Carol singers knocking at the door. I guess living in the Scottish countryside does that sometimes.

Captcha: happy anniversary

Our anniversary was two weeks ago Captcha! How could you forget!?!?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
The same thing I do to preaching Jehova's witnesses and Scientoligists. I shut the door on them. If they persist then I tell them to fuck off.

May 17, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
Even if I did get more than one group of carolers a year, I'd probably still like it. I've never understood money to be part of the caroling equation though.
Depends on the carolers. Sometimes it's kids doing it as a pocket money thing, sometimes it's people who are collecting for a charity.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I have a big loud dog. They knock on the door, he starts barking, they get the message. Christmas and Halloween are his favourite times of the year.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
Don't get carolers at my house (thank God) but i see groups of 'em in the busy entertainment districts around this time of year.
My reaction of choice is too sneak around them, join them from the rear, and carol out of tone until they figure out what's up.

Then I throw snow in their faces. [sub]Not really[/sub]

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I would say, "Get the fuck off of my property." If that didn't work I would say, "Please get the fuck off my property." I HATE this time of year.