What do you think is the best sub-genre of metal?

javelinstark

Sep 19, 2011
Falconknight06 said:
For me, as far as my favorite genres go, are Symphonic (or Orchestral if you will), Folk, and Power Metal. I like hearing traditional metal instrumentation with a bit of the non-traditional, preferably orchestral arrangements.
whos your favorite in folk metal?

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
I reckon symphonic metal makes every other genre of music (not just metal, but anything) sound feeble and impotent.

It's just so spectacular!

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
I've got a few and it changes between them. So here's the list:

Djent (Vildhjarta, Atlanticore, sometimes Meshuggah)
Funeral Doom (the slower and heavier the better--Ahab, Evoken, Funeral, And holyshitamazingness Skepticism)
Sludge. More specifically, Mouth of the Architect.
Drone (Sunn O))), Earth, Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine)
Whatever the hell Khanate is

Usually it's Funeral Doom or MotA. Occasionally Mushroomhead, though.

PipPup

Apr 22, 2011
I don't really think I can say what's best; but my favorite is alternative metal (also known as modern metal). How can you not like bands such as Red? (don't answer that).

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
I like a little bit of everything, although I suppose if I have any leanings it might be a little toward the Progressive side of things.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
My favorite sub-genre depends on the season. I seem to really like doom and sludge when it's cold outside. I seem to like power and D&D metal when it's warm.

Because I'm a madman that's why.

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
javelinstark said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Power metal. Dragons and vikings EVERYWHERE.
yeah but amon amarth have always given vikings the greatest amount of justice
I prefer Rebellion's Sagas of Iceland and Miklagard. Historical references, plus it actually sounds like what I imagine a viking singing would be. I'm not much of a fan of Amon Amarth, really.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of metal in general, but I do enjoy Scandinavian black metal quite a bit.

DJDarque

Words
Aug 24, 2009
Its hard to pick a favorite sub-genre. I enjoy most of them. My favorites would probably be death, black, and industrial.

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
Progressive and post-hardcore.

There's so much potential for atmosphere and variety in progressive, it's like the swiss army knife of music. It can be blended with contemporary or alternative metal, jazz, blues, folk, even reggae. For hardcore and post-hardcore, it never lacks an emotional punch.

CorruptCor3

May 17, 2010
Whatever genre A7X falls under. Actually, that's a bit confusing because A7X has 2 totally different styles (Sounding the Seventh Trumpet-Waking the Fallen, the other ones). I love both styles.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
javelinstark said:
Ftaghn To You Too said:
Power metal. Dragons and vikings EVERYWHERE.
yeah but amon amarth have always given vikings the greatest amount of justice
Amon Amarth is really just a power metal band that does growl vocals. Most of there songs aren't just noise, it follows easy melody of power metal bands like Hammerfall and Manowar.

That said, my favorite sub-genre of metal is either Power Metal, or Symphonic Metal. (<3 Therion)

hannan4mitch

Jan 19, 2010
Ehh. To me, there is no "best" subgenres, just stuff I like and don't like. My favorite,of many, subgenres is a tie between Stoner Metal (HoF is fukkin' epic), Thrash Metal and Progressive Metal.

Thatguyky

May 23, 2011
I've personally been a fan of progressive metal. I enjoy bands like Dream Theater and Redemption. They have less of a dark feel (not always though), and more of an epic feel to them.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Melodic Death and Industrial metal for me. Veery much so. I was quite big on Gothic metal a while back but I've slightly, slightly gone off that.