What Do You Think Is The Saddest Moment In A Game?

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
I was a sucker for love stories, so the ending of FFX did it for me (especially the secret ending)

On the flip side, Gears of War 2 with Dom/Maria? Dramatic maybe, but I saw it coming

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
IsoNeko said:
Wake me...When you need me.
That's not sad it's just kinda... I don't really know. Epic, but in the silent kind of way. It's sad to know Cortana's going to be all alone for several years

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
zauxz said:
max payne 2. Half of the game. Especialy the ending.

SPOILER
Mass effect. When you convince Saren to kill himself. Then you think wow. SO he IS a good man affter all. And boom zombie he killed himself for nothing.
The concept itself is mind-blowing and not bad, but I think it could have been better written. If it was better written, add a little background music and maybe a short cinematic and I would have been balling

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
KeithA45 said:
IsoNeko said:
That's not sad it's just kinda... I don't really know. Epic, but in the silent kind of way. It's sad to know Cortana's going to be all alone for several years
Thats the sad part. She won't ever wake him. She's going to die soon. Her matrices only allow her a 7 year life span, before she literally thinks herself to death. By the time he wakes, she won't be there.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Flap Jack452 said:
The saddest moment in any game is defiantly
When my dog is shot by Lucien in Fable 2.
This moment literally almost made me cry, yeah I'm not ashamed to admit it. But it all ended up ok in the end.
I agree. I had really gotten attached to that dog and when I had to choose between the 3 options, it was a no-brainer for me to get him back and screw everyone else.

ultra_v_89

Feb 7, 2008
A couple of people have mentioned in Gears 2 where Dom kills his wife, was I the only one who was laughing his ass off when this happened? For one thing, she didn't seem to be dying anytime soon and she had survived that much, wasn't it worth trying to get her help? No, instead Dom decides to pull out the MASSIVE revolver hand cannon and humanely blows her head off. L-O-freaking-L. The whole thing just seemed unnecessary to me and Dom seemed a little too keen to perform the task.

Anyway, for actual sadness, I opt for Jenny's death in the Darkness. Right in front of you, being restrained from intervention by your inner demon, that one blew me away. Ha, isn't that odd, two cases of women getting shot, one amuses me and the other devastates me.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
ae86gamer said:
All games have awesome moments like when you destroy sovereign in Mass Effect or when Hale gets shot in the head in Resistance 2. But they also have some pretty depressing scenes. So my question is what is the saddest moment you've ever seen in a game.

I know that mine is when you see Old Snake in MGS4 going through what is basically a giant microwave.
Ahh yes that was a EPIC scene with Old Snake

How about when the Nuke Went off in COD4 ?

"We are just about to Defuse the Bo-- ..... BOOM !!!!!!)

like holy shit !!!!!

i so did not expect that !! and when that door opener guy fell out i had a sad moment cause he took the Trouble to open the dooy for me and i couldn't thank him :(

but then when i take control of Paul Jackson again i thought "HUH ? am i going to live ?"

but damn seeing all that reckage and dead bodies around i just felt so wasted
then he takes a deep breath and theres a bright light

at first i thought he went uncouncious but after seeing K.I.A next to his name my heart instantly slowed as i relaised that In war Everyone loses and dies ......

im so proud to be someone who played Call of Duty 4 !!

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Every time I finish a game that I loved. For some reason I feel like I have committed murder because I beat games way too fast. I think the sadist part in any video game is the part in ICO right after you beat the queen. I swear that was the most depressing thing ever.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
IsoNeko said:
KeithA45 said:
IsoNeko said:
Thats the sad part. She won't ever wake him. She's going to die soon. Her matrices only allow her a 7 year life span, before she literally thinks herself to death. By the time he wakes, she won't be there.
I always assumed the Cortana was some sort of exception for whatever reason. Plus I think if the creators were going for that, they'd have brought it up somehow in the dialogue.

Still very, very sad.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
For me it's something from the FF VII storyline as well, but not the most obvious one. I enjoyed the game more for the story than for its gameplay anyway, so it was a a no-brainer for me to check out 'Crisis Core', one of the prequel installments to the original. You don't have to play it, really, seeing as it's only got a PSP port, but if you enjoyed the FF VII story at least check out the collected cutscenes on youtube.
Anyway, the ending of 'Crisis Core' was the saddest moment in a game for me, and I doubt that'll change for quite some time.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
IsoNeko said:
KeithA45 said:
IsoNeko said:
I always assumed the Cortana was some sort of exception for whatever reason. Plus I think if the creators were going for that, they'd have brought it up somehow in the dialogue.

Still very, very sad.

IsoNeko

Oct 6, 2008
KeithA45 said:
IsoNeko said:
KeithA45 said:
IsoNeko said:

Still very, very sad.
I suppose it's more of an afterthought to most people, but when you sit down and think about it. You realise just how sad it is. That's why after he says that line, she reaches out to him, then she holds back. Not wanting to tell him that she'll be dead soon.

It's known she was in operation before 2550, 3 years before Reach, and 4 years before Halo 3. Who knows how long she's been in operation. She could have been in operation since 2547. Meaning she could die at any moment.

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
Crisis core when Zack dies I knew it was coming (ff7 veteran) but it was still sad that or ff4 when the twins give there lives... always so sad to have favorite characters die)

Audemas

Aug 12, 2008
When Lucien shoots your dog, when Jenny is shot in The Darkness, and the end to Half-Life 2: Episode 2.

avouleance

Dec 22, 2008
the fake ico ending i fet sad that i had failed then the real ending happened and that was the happyest.