What Do You Think Is The Saddest Moment In A Game?

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
MisterAnarchist said:
Drachknouir said:
ff7 when cloud is laying aries into the water ..... I never understood why he dident just use a res spell ??
I did tear up when I wached the movie and aries made her intrence .
If you notice phoenix downs revive a KO'd ally. Being impaled will not knock you out, it'll kill you.

My saddest part probably has to be:
When the main character dies.

actualy on the note of phoenix downs and life/res spells in ff there description is to save someone from the verge of death not revive them per say

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
EmileeElectro said:
I think I must be the only person who hasn't cried at Aerith's death...

I thought when Nanaki found out about his father, the statue cried and Nanaki began howling upset me.
Also, when Cait Sith sacrificed his life for the planet, that made me cry.
I agree about Nanaki (and I didn't cry for Aerith either, odd.), especially since if you think about it, all Cloud had to do was toss a soft on Nanaki's father, and everything would've been okay... :no: Cloud, what a prick...

However, you were sad when Cait Sith died?! How can ANYONE have been sad for that? He was THE MOST annoying character in the game! I actually celebrated. The only sad part about Cait Sith's death was that it didn't STICK and he was back in FFVII: Advent Children, being useless and annoying.

Though, I think the saddest part of that movie was Red XIII's single spoken line. "There are still children with the Stigma." -shakes head-

/rant

Matronadena

Mar 11, 2009
When you pop in the newer golden axe wanting to relive the glory days, and get past the first " post tutorial check point" and realize that all your hopes and dreams died that moment.

but on a more serious note I think it comes from mass effect, when you have to leave kaiden or ash behind....

now with that choice I tend to leave behind whos the most useless compared to Sheppard's build, but on the very first play through it did leave a gut wrenching doubt in my gut after the cut scene ended and the slower, track played...made me wonder if I made the right choice or not...

never had to kill wrex so I've yet to feel that blow.

Jade empire had it's moments too.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
The saddest moment in a video game for me, that I can recall right now anyways, is

During the credits of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, when the spirits of the sages fly over the Zora King and Milo, who are sitting on a hill looking sad. It was sad to think of how both of these NPCs lost someone they cared about. Yeah, I feel bad about NPCs. Also from OoT, when Navi left. Link was finally "the boy without a fairy" no more, and now she leaves you.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
Stakhanov said:
The start of Homeworld, where Barbers 'Adagio For Strings' is playing and the player has to sit helplessly while his jump engines warm up, watching the alien fleet destroy Earth, listening to the radio chatter as the panicked defenders make a doomed last stand.
Radio goes silent, the planetkillers home in on Earth, the music peaks and fades, engine hum builds, fade to black...
Incredible sequence. I spent the whole game gutted by that scene.
I'm so glad that someone mentioned that game.

However, I can trace the first time I cried to a videogame to Phantasy Star 4, when Alys dies in incredible pain and Chaz, her student, is basically in shock, and the rest of the party (well, Rune and Rika) are trying to help him think about his loss. 16-bit? Low-quality music? Heck yeah, and it gets me every time!

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
Koeryn said:
EmileeElectro said:

I thought when Nanaki found out about his father, the statue cried and Nanaki began howling upset me.
I agree about Nanaki (and I didn't cry for Aerith either, odd.), especially since if you think about it, all Cloud had to do was toss a soft on Nanaki's father, and everything would've been okay... :no: Cloud, what a prick...

However, you were sad when Cait Sith died?! How can ANYONE have been sad for that? He was THE MOST annoying character in the game! I actually celebrated. The only sad part about Cait Sith's death was that it didn't STICK and he was back in FFVII: Advent Children, being useless and annoying.

Though, I think the saddest part of that movie was Red XIII's single spoken line. "There are still children with the Stigma." -shakes head-
/rant
I must be the only person who loved Cait Sith!
A robotic talking kittie is a win in my books!

Good point about the soft though... never thought of that...

Izerous

Dec 15, 2008
I also have to say Aeris' death in Final Fantasy 7. I had spent so much time leveling her up to without knowing what was coming.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
EmileeElectro said:
Koeryn said:
EmileeElectro said:

/rant
I must be the only person who loved Cait Sith!
A robotic talking kittie is a win in my books!

Good point about the soft though... never thought of that...
Technically, he's just remote controlled. Cait Sith I mean, not a robot. His 'sacrifice' was just sacrificing a (probably expensive) toy really. As for the Soft thing, VG Cats pointed that out. Hold on, lemme see if I can find it.

VG Cats #179 - "Viva La Revolucion" [http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=176]

=D

Rossmallo

Feb 20, 2008
Either this - http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.96627#1501645 or possibly the end of one of the quests in Runescape - You amass about 7 NPC freinds to fight this evil guy, but he becomes powerful to the degree of godhood and WIPES OUT FIVES OF THEM INSTANTLY IN A SINGLE ATTACK. I've not even DONE this quest, I saw it on YT, but i was shocked to my soul when i saw my favourite NPC die before he could even draw his sword.

jthm

Jun 28, 2008
Aqualung said:
alwaysrockon said:
duh..when your horse falls of the cliff in shadow of the colousus.
Agreed.

Also, the ending of Twilight Princess really got me for some reason, with Midna breaking the mirror. I've been closer to the Zelda series my whole life, so, it makes sense.
I'm right with you on that. I don't know why, but Twilight princess really got to me. Then again I grew up on Zelda games.

ae86gamer said:
All games have awesome moments like when you destroy sovereign in Mass Effect or when Hale gets shot in the head in Resistance 2. But they also have some pretty depressing scenes. So my question is what is the saddest moment you've ever seen in a game.

I know that mine is when you see Old Snake in MGS4 going through what is basically a giant microwave.
No. Nothing in Mass Effect should have phased you in the least. The characters are devoid of emotion in their voicework and the music is 5/10 at best. The only thing you should have cried about is the long elevator rides and the fact that KoTOR had a better team system on a previous generation.

Did they make Resistance 2 better than the first one? I played 1 and was unimpressed, but then I own a 360 as well, a system dedicated to shooter fans. Nonetheless, I can't see making an emotional tie in a shooter. I'm here to blast anything that moves, not watch Sephy stab Aeris.

Daniosislestat

Mar 4, 2009
lol i think another sad moment is in N3 when Ashphaar has to take on his sister as she goes power crazy and wanting revenge

-Danny-

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
lornb said:
Eli dying in HL2 Episode 2.
I cried, like Niagara Falls.
Without question... the end of HL2 ep 2 was just harrowing. First time I got teary playing a game.

'Don't look, Honey...'

Nefy

Mar 13, 2009
I must say I registered just to answer this thread, of course after being a dedicated forum-goer over some time.

Klonoa. That game had some seriously tear-jerking end. I mean, really? What kind of kid can go through:

Your character, the one you played through a great world of bright colours and changing environment was actualy a DREAM. You're not real, kid, now bust it. The game ends with you saving everything from a gigantic Big Bad you've been after all this time. You sit down on a meadow and here it comes: "You're just a dream. You're not real."

And then you get sucked up into oblivion. Goodbye and thanks for all the fish.

IpostIn8-bit

Jan 26, 2009
Aeris dying in FFVII. Did not see it coming, and then Sephiroth just falls from the sky....

Oh, and *SPOILER* even though it's still kind of old they have the anime just now...

Luke and Asch dying in Tales of the Abyss, especially with Luke having just been told by Tear that she loves him.

Both of these hit me hard as I played both games almost non-stop. Spend over 40 hours with some characters and you grow attached.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I can't remember if I posted here or not, so bear with me...

One of the saddest, maybe THE saddest, but a good candidate is this:

SPOILER
(spoilers) When Dom finds Maria and then has to shoot her. So sad... (spoilers)
END SPOILER

Also... the end of Braid.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30 certainly had its share of sad moments. Every time a squad member died, I felt a combination of guilt and remorse at their passing. The deaths of Allen and Garnett were particularly gut-wrenching. I started sobbing when Matt Baker came unglued recounting the event.

I also thought the end of Zelda: The Wind Waker was very sad. It was hard to accept that Hyrule was really gone for good. After defending that kingdom for so many games, watching it become submerged by the ocean was a very emotional experience.