What do you think of Anarchy Reigns?

Sep 17, 2009
It looks like a ridiculous amount of fun.

I find myself enjoying games where you get to mostly "mess around" and have a good time.

But it is getting mixed professional reviews so far, so I am wondering, has anyone played it? What do you think?

If I am a fan of a stupid good time, would I like this game? (Also 2 of my friends have it already so I wouldn't be alone)

Should I shell out the $30?

[youtube=rzphaln0iRU&

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I'm having a lot of fun with it, although it does take an annoying long time to start unlocking things in the multiplayer through multiplayer. (Every level takes 500k XP, which is about how much you can make in one match if you utterly dominate, but 100-280k is more average. There are 50 levels, but your first unlock is at level 22. Then there are others at 24, 26, 32, etc. I don't know why it's like that, but there it is).

Story mode is a bit short. White Side follows Leo, a heavily teched out Cyborg who is your generic white knight. Black Side follows Jack, the guy with a rusty ol' chainsaw for an arm. Red Side follows whoever you picked first; meaning you have to play through the entire game twice to 'finish' it, although it's technically 4 times. Getting 100 kills in 'Street Brawl' on each stage for each 'Side' unlocks an ability in multiplayer that can't be gotten any other way. Beating Red Side - White Side and Red Side - Black Side unlocks a secret character for multiplayer, although he is unlocked just by getting level 22 in multiplayer as well.

As for the multiplayer...I'll copy/paste something I said earlier.

Kopikatsu said:
I'm having fun on the PS3 version. My favorite character to play so far is Fei Rin with Big Bull as a close second, although I have yet to unlock Bayonetta (Code isn't working yet), Rin Rin, and that one ninja samurai dude.

Just wish that Fei didn't have such...extensive jiggle physics. Sasha I was kind of okay with since it's obvious she has no support, but come on! Fei shouldn't jiggle like that from such minor movements even if she were nude. And her Strong Killer Weapon attack is just a liiiittle oversexualized.

Multiplayer is insane though. Everything starts normal enough...and then suddenly Mecha-Cthulhu flies out of nowhere and starts shooting lasers everywhere while the stage is flooded with cyborg ninjas and then a submarine appears and starts covering the stage in rocket fire while a Kraken is attacking...all during a 16-man free for all match.
I've unlocked all the characters since this post though, and I've gotten really ridiculously good with Gargoyle. The last game I played had most of the enemy team yelling "The other team is easy mode...EXCEPT FOR THE FUCKING ROBOT." "IT'S THE ROBOT. JESUS, SOMEONE HELP ME."

Not sure why I'm good with him though, since he's actually pretty low-tier as far as power goes. The Rin sisters are the really strong ones.

The music is mostly rap. Although I normally despise rap, I love the music for this game. I play it occasionally just to hear the music.

Anywho! I'd say it's pretty solid for a $30 game.

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
GOTY2013.

So far, it seems awesome despite some questionable lag in the multiplayer but hey, beats the shit netcode that goes on in Black Ops 2.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Looks like a lot more content then any other fighting game out there, so if you like these then might as well.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
I had a quick go of the single player last night, Batshit fun is how i'ld call it. I love the character designs and the whole general look and feel of the game.

With 11 MP modes there's certainly alot to keep players busy with. Those in Europe might be able to still score a Limited edition copy from online stores if they act now (The LTD Ed has the pre order bonus of 2 MP modes and Bayonetta as a character)

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
It's an incredible game. And the music is great, plus it's only 30$. It's not your traditional fighter though, but I will leave you with this:

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Nautical Honors Society said:
Fleetfiend said:
I would like to second this inquiry.
Do you like over the top beat-em ups/action games? If so then you should get it.
Do you want a moving deep story, realistic relatable characters, and a serious time? I'd say you need to loosen up and just have some simple fun so get it.

In other words yes. Platinum always makes the best action games and aren't afraid to try something new and experiment. People always complain about a stagnate industry but don't pay attention to awesome games like these. Platinum really needs some marketing so more people can hear about how awesome games. Now excuse me as I wash this salty taste from my mouth.

EDIT: Also if you missed out on the Bayonetta and extra modes, JP (one of the employees at Platinum) is offering them for doing challenges on his twitter. https://twitter.com/PG_jp

Sep 17, 2009
TehCookie said:
Fleetfiend said:
I would like to second this inquiry.
Do you like over the top beat-em ups/action games? If so then you should get it.
Do you want a moving deep story, realistic relatable characters, and a serious time? I'd say you need to loosen up and just have some simple fun so get it.

In other words yes. Platinum always makes the best action games and aren't afraid to try something new and experiment. People always complain about a stagnate industry but don't pay attention to awesome games like these. Platinum really needs some marketing so more people can hear about how awesome games. Now excuse me as I wash this salty taste from my mouth.

EDIT: Also if you missed out on the Bayonetta and extra modes, JP (one of the employees at Platinum) is offering them for doing challenges on his twitter. https://twitter.com/PG_jp
In my OP I did say how much I love mindless fun...so yeah I am pretty "loose" haha, and this game looks like a sure thing for a good time.

I am looking at his twitter and I cannot find any specific challenges...what should I be looking for?

Is this the only way to get Bayonetta/extra modes since I didn't pre-order?

EDIT: I see it now...yeah no way I am oinking like a pig on youtube. Any chance this stuff will be released on DLC?

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
It's out? Sweet!

I both loved and hated MadWorld, I loved the idea of a 3D arcade-y beat-em-up, loved the stylized Sin-Cty look, loved the humor, but the controls for the Wii killed it for me. Also, the Grim Reaper dude in world 3 or 4. Fuck one hit kills.

I might try it out, but I'm still not 100% sold. I'm not going to shell out $30 if it's strictly multiplayer. I don't mind playing online, but if there is no single player or at least a player vs. bot mode, I'll probably have to pass.

Which would be a shame. This looks like a great game.

EDIT: Watched part of the "Best Friends Play..." Video, saw Campaign. Looks like this is the next game I'll be getting, too bad there isn't a demo for it.

felbot

May 11, 2011
funny, i just on a anarchy reigns general on 4 chan, and now there is a thread about it here, one day ill go to the runescape general and see what that gets me.

anyway on topic, most people over there certainly loves it, although i did hear theres a very low population in the game so might be a bit hard to find a game, also the black guy is op apparently.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Gamestop...really?

"Buy new from $29.99"

"Buy used from $24.99 was originally $54.99"

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-anarchy+reigns
Technically they're not lying. It was originally $60~ when it first released. Just...that wasn't in America.

dfb1999

Oct 7, 2012
I'm really liking the game so far.
It's hectic, stupid and it's definitely not a £40 AAA game, but I didn't pay £40, so it doesn't matter.
Despite most reviews stating that the single player is the weak link, I'm really liking it so far.
As for the MP, I enjoy it when I can find a game that's a good matchup, and not completely one sided. Maybe I'm just not very good at it.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
Really fun game, story mode is an enjoyable way to practice for multiplayer and unlock new characters. Despite being awful at multiplayer I can't help but enjoy it due to the sheer madness of it. A plane falling from the sky whilst you play as a cyborg ninja kicking a mechanical Minotaur 30 feet back before jumping off of a skyscraper and hitting someone with a car! How many games let you do that?!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
looks mildly intriguing. Personally wont be able to play it, even if I wanted to due to unreasonable requirements of both 360 and PSN to access online content. Shame, but not a monumental loss really, especially considering the monumental size of my personal backlog.

If I were in the OPs position though, I dunno if I could see myself clear to spend money on this, especially considering how this seems to be something that will eventually be F2P'd as DLC like the bayonetta DLC get pumped out.

Jun 11, 2009
FFP2 said:
It's an incredible game. And the music is great, plus it's only 30$. It's not your traditional fighter though, but I will leave you with this:

This. This right here should be all you need to tell you that Anarchy Reigns is the HYPEST FUCKING SHIT EVER.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I'm playing it right now. It is freaking AMAZING. Trust me, if you like Devil May Cry-style brawlers and hectic action, get this game right now.