Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Nautical Honors Society said:
TehCookie said:
Nautical Honors Society said:
Should I shell out the $30?
Fleetfiend said:
I would like to second this inquiry.
Do you like over the top beat-em ups/action games? If so then you should get it.
Do you want a moving deep story, realistic relatable characters, and a serious time? I'd say you need to loosen up and just have some simple fun so get it.

In other words yes. Platinum always makes the best action games and aren't afraid to try something new and experiment. People always complain about a stagnate industry but don't pay attention to awesome games like these. Platinum really needs some marketing so more people can hear about how awesome games. Now excuse me as I wash this salty taste from my mouth.

EDIT: Also if you missed out on the Bayonetta and extra modes, JP (one of the employees at Platinum) is offering them for doing challenges on his twitter. https://twitter.com/PG_jp
In my OP I did say how much I love mindless fun...so yeah I am pretty "loose" haha, and this game looks like a sure thing for a good time.

I am looking at his twitter and I cannot find any specific challenges...what should I be looking for?

Is this the only way to get Bayonetta/extra modes since I didn't pre-order?

EDIT: I see it now...yeah no way I am oinking like a pig on youtube. Any chance this stuff will be released on DLC?
I think it will be released as DLC when Sega feels like it. Right now he doesn't have any open but he'll make a new tweet "Bayo code challenge: yadda yadda yadda" or something along those lines. Then you just reply with whatever he asked you to do (so you do need a twitter account to reply). Depending on where you live he may post during ungodly hours since he's in Japan.

Ironbat92

Nov 19, 2009
It's pretty disappointing. It's really repetitive, looks dated, and the only thing that's worth while is multiplayer. It's worth a rental, at best. I recomend either checking out Platinum games other projects, Like Bayonetta, Vanquish, or MadWorld. Better yet, wait till Metal Gear Rising comes out.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
viranimus said:
If I were in the OPs position though, I dunno if I could see myself clear to spend money on this, especially considering how this seems to be something that will eventually be F2P'd as DLC like the bayonetta DLC get pumped out.
I doubt very much it will be free to play as I've heard no other plans to include extra DLC which considering it's been out in Japan for 6 months some would have been made available.

Basically is a game that was originally planned to be $60 but was scaled back to $30, mostly down to SEGA going bankrupt around the time it was made. If Capcom were money-hatting it, the game would have been released with alot more marketing and hype unlike SEGA whose games always fly under the radar even if critically praised.

I personally would call it the Call of Duty / BF3 of Brawlers in the the singler player is basic and the meat of the game is in it's MP (even though there are bots to play offline with)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
TrevHead said:
viranimus said:
If I were in the OPs position though, I dunno if I could see myself clear to spend money on this, especially considering how this seems to be something that will eventually be F2P'd as DLC like the bayonetta DLC get pumped out.
I doubt very much it will be free to play as I've heard no other plans to include extra DLC which considering it's been out in Japan for 6 months some would have been made available.
You might well be correct. I was only speaking of the tone, stylization, mechanics and other aspects being structured in such a way that would be able to naturally and seamlessly gravitate to a micro transaction based model. Its design almost begs for it. Especially if it is indeed something that would fly under the radar, eventually it would get to a point to need revenues to keep servers functional. Not saying that it is, or will, only that it seems like a natural for it.
Edit: well if it were on PC rather than consoles that is.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
viranimus said:
Since it's easy to get into hopefully a few of the millions of Call of Duty / BF3 playerbase might play it. They've gotta get sick of shooting ppl at some time.

Plus there's the Castle Crashers crowd which is still popular.

Sep 17, 2009
I got it. It is everything I expected. Hectic, stupid, random, loads of fun, and quality a bit above it's price-tag.

I am really enjoying it, but if it were more than $30 I wouldn't have gotten it.

The single player story is so dumb. When the dramatic moments come up I can't help but laughing hysterically.

The multiplayer is amazing. I love every bit of it. SO FUN.

dimensional

Jun 13, 2011
Got it yesterday for 17 pounds and I am having a blast its no Bayonetta or Vanquish but it is really fun feels like an evolution of Madworld both are extremely repetitive but Anarchy Reigns manages to make it stay fresh a lot longer than Madworld did.

Havent tried the multiplayer yet as I am still having fun playing single player with Jack atm and while the story is typical fluff I actually find parts quite touching in a way while the head to head talks are usually amusing if nothing else.

Tried Bayonetta in offline multiplayer and she is pretty fun but obviously behaves quite a bit different to how she does in her own game mainly she is not as agile or deadly but then thats a good thing as she would be ridiculously op otherwise.

Anyway the games well worth the money imo its not Platinum games finest work and its easy to see where the criticism comes from but if you like beat em up style games this one is great fun and crazy as hell, looking for a fighting game look elsewhere this is a brawler looking for balanced true competitive gaming look elsewhere. This is pure grindhouse ridiculousness and its awesome and for me it does just enough to stave off repetition at least so far anyway, if this was full price I wouldnt be so lenient but for less than half price of a regular game its an easy recommendation to anyone who is interested in this type of gameplay.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
felbot said:
anyway on topic, most people over there certainly loves it, although i did hear theres a very low population in the game so might be a bit hard to find a game, also the black guy is op apparently.
I think that may be correct, i've only played a few multiplayer games but whoever is the black baron always seemed to do REALLY well. One game the black player managed to get 10 kills and no death, the person second had 2...

OT: to add to what others have said, if you're looking for a deep fighting game, look elsewhere. The combos are few and easy to learn, many of the button inputs being identical across most characters, the moves they trigger are quite different from eachother though. IMO i see this as a good thing since i dont have the memory/ patience to learn lists of moves and memorise them. Its nice to be able to switch characters every few games and not be completeley at sea. Also a few moves/' "perks" are ridiculously OP.

Singleplayer is a fun, silly time but easily not the main event. DO NOT BUY if you're only looking for a singleplayer game. There are bots for the multiplayer mode but the game comes alive against real people.

I hope a fairly strong community forms because the 12 game modes ensure variety. It would be good if they could patch in a rotation/ vote system so you dont have to totally quit out to change game modes :)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
daveman247 said:
felbot said:
anyway on topic, most people over there certainly loves it, although i did hear theres a very low population in the game so might be a bit hard to find a game, also the black guy is op apparently.
I think that may be correct, i've only played a few multiplayer games but whoever is the black baron always seemed to do REALLY well. One game the black player managed to get 10 kills and no death, the person second had 2...

OT: to add to what others have said, if you're looking for a deep fighting game, look elsewhere. The combos are few and easy to learn, many of the button inputs being identical across most characters, the moves they trigger are quite different from eachother though. IMO i see this as a good thing since i dont have the memory/ patience to learn lists of moves and memorise them. Its nice to be able to switch characters every few games and not be completeley at sea. Also a few moves/' "perks" are ridiculously OP.

Singleplayer is a fun, silly time but easily not the main event. DO NOT BUY if you're only looking for a singleplayer game. There are bots for the multiplayer mode but the game comes alive against real people.

I hope a fairly strong community forms because the 12 game modes ensure variety. It would be good if they could patch in a rotation/ vote system so you dont have to totally quit out to change game modes :)
Baron isn't OP. He just seems to have a bug where his Strong Killer Weapon hit will insta-kill rarely. It seems to be tied to latency.

I'd say Baron is mid-high tier. Now, Douglas? Douglas is a fucking animal. Light, Light, Grab, Air HKW. Boom, just killed two people from full health at the same time.

Most people say the Rin Sisters are the best characters, but I don't really feel it. I did get a 12 kill streak with Gargoyle earlier, but Gargoyle is pretty weak since his moveset is kind of bleh. You can ride on Gargoyle/Garuda and shoot pew pew lasers from their back though, which is awesome for both parties involved.

Edit: I would say the worst character is Jack. His normal combos are pretty great, but his HKW is slow and has no range, and his LKW combo is weak and fickle.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
True, maybe the people playing were just REALLY good. Im quite useless at the moment. especially since havnt really played a game like this before X)

Im liking big bull at the moment, gotta love his bull-charge and being able to grab two people at once :) I just need to learn how to get his big ass moving faster...

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
daveman247 said:
Kopikatsu said:
True, maybe the people playing were just REALLY good. Im quite useless at the moment. especially since havnt really played a game like this before X)

Im liking big bull at the moment, gotta love his bull-charge and being able to grab two people at once :) I just need to learn how to get his big ass moving faster...
Big Bull is one of my mains. All of the big characters are slow (Except Max, but he's not really 'big' as far as stats are concerned), but I would recommend that you use the LKW combo often (The one where he spins like a top with the Jet Hammer). It'll take three bars of your gauge, but it's AOE, does tons of damage, and is pretty fast. Also, Light, Light, Grab is a great combo for everyone.

Alternatively, if you see a big fight going, hold grab to charge it. When Bull's stance changes for the second time, release it and you'll charge into the fray at super speed, snatching two people out of the fight and smash their skulls in. Incredibly satisfying to get a double kill with the grab.

Edit: What abilities do you think are OP? I can only think of ones that are kind of annoying, like Evasion Master and Rapid Respawner.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I'm loving it, I had to purposefully pull myself away from it for a day or two so I'd get off my addiction. The sad part, I don't have online at the moment. One thing that should be mentioned is, while a little harder, Leo story is much more fun. I've been liking Fei Rin and Sasha mostly, but Douglas is awesome too and the entire cast can throw some power.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
The lack of activity in this thread is disapointing, needs more awesomeness.

pinched from Neogaf

Since the game has been out for a little while what characters has everybody settled on for MP? After having to mess around with my NAT settings i'm late in getting into the MP. Starting out on Bull for the moment, even though I prefer Rin Rin but everybody plays her, I still need to play the white campaign to unlock all of the characters before I ultimately pick a main.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
TrevHead said:
The lack of activity in this thread is disapointing, needs more awesomeness.

pinched from Neogaf

Since the game has been out for a little while what characters has everybody settled on for MP? After having to mess around with my NAT settings i'm late in getting into the MP. Starting out on Bull for the moment, even though I prefer Rin Rin but everybody plays her, I still need to play the white campaign to unlock all of the characters before I ultimately pick a main.

If the 'good' players on the other team (IE the ones who give me trouble) are mostly large-type characters, then I go with Max. If they're small-type, then I go with Gargoyle/Big Bull, and if they're mid-sized, I go with Baron. If they're varied, then Douglas.

Max has some pretty sick switchups to keep the heavies off their feet and out of mind, Gargoyle/Bull are just fun, Douglas is a monster, and Baron can lay down the hurt.

Baron does have a weird bug though. If your latency is much different from the other person's, his SKW attack will insta-kill them from full health. If it's a bit different, it'll do a strangely huge amount of damage, and if it's the same, it's normal.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
I hant unlocked those abilities yet, but i think the one that lets you use the AOE attack with no penalty might be a bit op. Some of those attacks and be mad- damaging. :)

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
daveman247 said:
Kopikatsu said:
I hant unlocked those abilities yet, but i think the one that lets you use the AOE attack with no penalty might be a bit op. Some of those attacks and be mad- damaging. :)
Naaaah. When you play the game for a while, you'll learn to tell when someone is about to use the spin attack (Both because of the animation and because their health took a hit. But if they're using Spin Master, then just the animation. Most people tend to hit the Spin Attack after the second hit in a light combo string though. However, you can do Heavy, Light, Light, LKWx3-4 for massive damage without giving them a chance to use a Spin Attack since they'll be airborne for the entire combo), and can block or evade it. Since they're locked in the animation, you can use this time to charge a HKW attack and shave off a big portion of their health.

Spin Attack is really kind of a crutch thing.

daveman247

Jan 20, 2012
Kopikatsu said:
Yeah... the more i play it the more im starting to figure this stuff out :p

I'm getting ok with... durga i think? the guy with the planet -terror gun leg.

Finally got to try capture ther flag too. All in all good fun ^_^

Just wish there was splitscreen...

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
TehCookie said:
In other words yes. Platinum always makes the best action games and aren't afraid to try something new and experiment. People always complain about a stagnate industry but don't pay attention to awesome games like these. Platinum really needs some marketing so more people can hear about how awesome games. Now excuse me as I wash this salty taste from my mouth.
This is just too true. It's such a shame because other than Bayonetta, I don't think Platinum Games has gotten the recognition they deserve. They have made some of the most unique and awesome games to grace this generation, with high-profile developers at the helm. Shinji Mikami (creator of Resident Evil) made Vanquish, one of the best third person shooters of the generation. Hideki Kamiya (director of Resident Evil 2/creator of Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry) made Bayonetta which IMO is easily one of the best action games ever made. Not to mention MadWorld and now Anarchy Reigns. With the games they've made, and the names that have made them, its incredible that they don't get the attention they deserve. I'm hoping that Metal Gear Rising might help put them on the map, that is if MGS fan don't throw a fit.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
alphamalet said:
TehCookie said:
This is just too true. It's such a shame because other than Bayonetta, I don't think Platinum Games has gotten the recognition they deserve. They have made some of the most unique and awesome games to grace this generation, with high-profile developers at the helm. Shinji Mikami (creator of Resident Evil) made Vanquish, one of the best third person shooters of the generation. Hideki Kamiya (director of Resident Evil 2/creator of Okami, Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry) made Bayonetta which IMO is easily one of the best action games ever made. Not to mention MadWorld and now Anarchy Reigns. With the games they've made, and the names that have made them, its incredible that they don't get the attention they deserve. I'm hoping that Metal Gear Rising might help put them on the map, that is if MGS fan don't throw a fit.
They have another game coming out soon, The Wonderful 101. It's a WiiU game about controlling a massive group of heroes in an attempt to save it from an alien invasion...or something. I didn't look too far into it because I don't have a WiiU, but I don't see anyone else talking about it either.