What do you think of Danny Dyer?

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
You know, the loveable cockney geezer who's been in Vendetta, Run For Your Wife, EastEnders, Time Slags and various other...things.

Love him or hate him, or love to hate him, I think Britain's going to be in trouble when its supplies of Danny Dyer run out.

CeeBod

Sep 4, 2012
Having just typed "who is danny dyer?" into google, I can honestly say that having never seen or heard of him before, I really haven't missed anything at all have I?

Even Vinnie Jones is a more convincing cockney hardman geezer, and amazingly is a better actor! Ross Kemp did the cockney hardman geezer thing before that, Ray Winstone does the role with some actual talent and class, and there's really no shortage of idiot low-rent "celebs" that provide tabloid headline fodder by regularly saying stupid shit, so I see the transition from Dyer to the next 15-minute cockney idiot that's on Eastenders as something of literally zero importance or interest.

To avoid ending on too negative a note though, here's Vinnie Jones in his best role:

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Danny Dyer's a pointless little insecure man-child gobshite who can't act. I think that answers the question succinctly!

It'll be a sad day indeed when Kermode can no longer take the piss, though...

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Like a lot of the "Laddish" British actors/comedians, I suspect he is a lot less dumb than he pretends. I have only ever seen him on comedy shows like 8 out of 10 Cats and he has been kind of funny, but the persona (if it is one) is something I have always found grating.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Darth Rosenberg said:
[small][sub]Ooooo, canistaaaaaaahhh...[/sub][/small]

Baffle said:
He's one of those people who leave me thinking 'This is all an act, right? Right? Right?!'.

Still, he can laugh at himself. Right? Right?!
Not as much as the rest of us, from what I've seen.

A KissLike Smile said:
Like a lot of the "Laddish" British actors/comedians, I suspect he is a lot less dumb than he pretends. I have only ever seen him on comedy shows like 8 out of 10 Cats and he has been kind of funny, but the persona (if it is one) is something I have always found grating.
I can't dislike the man, I just personally think his films are a load of laddish nonsense and he can't do the hard man act. Not like Alan Ford, anyway[footnote]Pictured here as a younger man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k1cK0iNC8Y&t=7[/footnote]. And apparently he wrote something pretty dumb in a magazine that he must have thought would please the lad demographic. Or something like that. And he gets pissed off when people do impressions of him. Which makes us want to do it more.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I've never actually seen him in anything. All I know is Guardian readers hate him and say he's everything wrong with English lads.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
As long as he is "acting" he isn't having to work for living by fixing your plumbing or something as equally dangerous to your home.

wizzy555 said:
I've never actually seen him in anything. All I know is Guardian readers hate him and say he's everything wrong with English lads.
To be fair according to Guardian readers anyone who isn't marxists is therefore fascist so thats not much hinderance.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
Having never seen anything with him in it, and going purely by the general perception of the public and Mark Kermode's reviews, he seems like someone I wouldn't necessarily want to be a big star in my country. I think he isn't seen much outside of british films, so you might be somewhat at a loss of people who have anything to say about him.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
bartholen said:
Having never seen anything with him in it, and going purely by the general perception of the public and Mark Kermode's reviews, he seems like someone I wouldn't necessarily want to be a big star in my country. I think he isn't seen much outside of british films, so you might be somewhat at a loss of people who have anything to say about him.
For the avoidance of doubt Danny Dyer isnt a big star and he is currently appearing as a pub landlord in the second most popular soap opera.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
He plays your everyday londoner twenty/thirty something partyhead pretty well, i guess he is alright as that. The films he appears in aren't bad either. He just has the one character. Although that British film with Gillian Anderson being gang-raped with both him and her planning revenge was really damn good, or so it seemed at the time. Not sure on the title, google it maybe? He is a regular character in Eastenders now, people i visit watch that show, so i always get a sneak peak of it. There is no reason to hate him, though he does believe in ghosts, but many actors are superstitious.

Edit: Why do people think he is supposed to be a hard man? Most films I see him in, he is a pussycat that likes to get a little unsober. Having a London accent does not imply you are trying to act hard.

Edited Edit: Closure! (Straightheads, in UK) That is the film, go see! It has an ending you certainly won't forget anytime soon. ;)

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I've only seen his appearances on Nevermind The Buzzcocks and one of the Big Fat Quiz Of The Years. Seemed harmless enough, and the comedians had a blast taking the piss out of him.

Sorry, 'off' of him.

They peed all over him.

They made fun of him.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
He did threaten to assault Mark Kermode over a critical review.