what do you think of when you hear 'Hank Pym'

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
If you said wife beater, you're wrong.
I'm kinda getting sick of every-time I mention him, everybody always comes back with that statement, it's kinda like Aquaman in that everybody latches onto the negatives because they're less known character. Hank Pym (ant man, giant man, Goliath etc) hit his wife (Janet van dyne, the wasp) ONCE. Reed Richards hit Susan Storm, while she was being mind-controlled. spider-man hit Mary-Jane, when she was pregnant! with super strength! and even then, hank was the person who was most depressed and guilt-ridden by it, even after everyone else forgave him.
so why do you think people associate Dr. Pym with this, even in-universe.

(I do know about the ultimate universe, but I don't count that because, well, it's a different universe)

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
TheFederation said:
So why do you think people associate Dr. Pym with this, even in-universe?
Because it's the only interesting piece of characterisation he's ever had, perhaps.

I haven't read the Avengers regularly since the 80s, but back then he was so second string he was virtually an extra. Still infamy is better than obscurity, I suppose.

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
Well, I thought "The Flash? No, definitely not the flash, I think it's (gi)antman. Yeah, that's definitely it, he's a scientist guy who can change his size."

All that was sped up, but yeah that's my train of thought. You can probably tell I don't read comic books.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Sixcess said:
TheFederation said:
So why do you think people associate Dr. Pym with this, even in-universe?
Because it's the only interesting piece of characterisation he's ever had, perhaps.

I haven't read the Avengers regularly since the 80s, but back then he was so second string he was virtually an extra. Still infamy is better than obscurity, I suppose.
Oh that is so wrong it hurts :(

I think Hank is an awesome character, and I loved his role as Leader of the Mighty Avengers during Dark Reign. Scientist Supreme!
To bad Loki ruined all that...

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Well I've read up on his history and he seems prone to long absences due to mental breakdowns.

Also "It's on *****!" to Reed Richards in a scientist fight over Pym particles.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
'That's a weird name', is what I thought (probably not as weird as my name would sound to most people in the world, provided they can even say it).

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
Incostant is the word I guess... He is a pretty good side character, a good scientist, but for some reason they always try to make him one of strenght like the Hulk, Thor or even Ironman and he is a character who doesn't work like that, even when he is Giant he ins't strong as some of his Avangers mates.

TheFederation said:
I'm kinda getting sick of every-time I mention him, everybody always comes back with that statement, it's kinda like Aquaman in that everybody latches onto the negatives because they're less known character. Hank Pym (ant man, giant man, Goliath etc) hit his wife (Janet van dyne, the wasp) ONCE. Reed Richards hit Susan Storm, while she was being mind-controlled. spider-man hit Mary-Jane, when she was pregnant! with super strength! and even then, hank was the person who was most depressed and guilt-ridden by it, even after everyone else forgave him.
so why do you think people associate Dr. Pym with this, even in-universe.

(I do know about the ultimate universe, but I don't count that because, well, it's a different universe)
That hitting Wasp thing was his time of shine, was when he got some attention to himself, thats why we is always remember for it.
I guess that Reed Richards is something justified because Susan Storm was being mind control therefore it wasn't really her and Spider Man thing got retconned...

And yes in the Ultimate universe Hank Pym does beat Wasp... Or used to because she is dead.(Comic thing, sure she will be back in a year or two)

Mysterious Username

Jun 4, 2012
When I think of Pym as a less stuck up Reed.
His character could be better if writers actually let go of the whole hitting his wife thing(although I do think it's worth having it sort of held over Pym as him tying to make up for it has become sort of an aspect of the character.)
That said Pym will always be characterized as a person who tries so very hard to be the good guy and ends up falling flat on his face half the time. Gotta respect the guy for trying so hard though.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
To answer your question, beats the Hell out of Wasp me. Sorry, sorry, bad joke. As for why people dwell on Hank smacking his wife...I have no idea. Maybe it's from the shock value, like how Batman once called Dick Grayson retarded, after having kidnapped him and, tried making him eat a cave-rat.

To answer the thread by title alone though, it makes me think of the man from the Disney cartoon who created Ultron, who damn near took over the world and killed The Avengers. Also, he was in the background, fighting another giant (who I don't remember) in one or two levels of Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2. I loved that series...

Vicarious Reality said:
The only hank i know of is hank of the hill

Pym
That is perhaps the best youtube poop I have ever seen.

Operation Genesis

Apr 8, 2010
First thing I think of is "Ant-Man." Then "guy who made Ultron." Then "The only reason I'm going to see his movie is because it's directed by Edgar Wright." I dunno, recently a lot of my thinking on the Avengers has been influenced by the new cartoon show, in which he does not hit Wasp, so I don't really remember him as a wife beater all that much.

Rose and Thorn

May 4, 2012
Hank Pym makes me think of one of the main reasons I haven't seen Avengers in theatres.

The absence of Hank Pym and Janet van Dyne was a major turn off for me as they, along with Tony Stark are my top 3 favorite original Avengers. How can you have an original Avengers without Ant-Man and the Wasp?

Luna

Apr 28, 2012
The first thing I think of when I hear Hank Pym is pink ham.

Perhaps this was not a useful post.

Radoh

Bans for the Ban God~
Jun 10, 2010
I've got no association with the name Hank Pym, so when I clicked the thread I see this first:
So now my first and only association with this character is wife-beater, since I never knew he had existed in the first place. Congrats I suppose?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Why Ant/ Giant Man of course!
Well ok I also view him as a wuss but only because of his portaryal in The Avengers Earth Mightiest Heroes (I know little of him in the comic). Yes I get he's a pacifist and his guilt that his creation Ultron had became evil since that is a metaphor of him (he used his brain pattern on Ultron) but in that case he shouldn't be a superhero at all.
And there also that other portrayal in that other old Avengers cartoon Avengers United They Stand which just made him look like a loser.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
"Sucks."

Seriously, he's an awful, bland character. No wonder people latch on to his "wife beating."