What do you think separates humans from other animals?

Lunar Shadow

Dec 9, 2008
Not chewing your leg off when caught in a trap, but waiting for the hunter to return and take out an enemy of your kind. (cookies if you get the reference)

interspark

Dec 20, 2009
arogance and stupidity, other animals live just fine while we find the need to further worsen our lives and destroy our world with new technologies, example? if i were a dolphin, i'd be living it up in the sea, having the time of my life, but i am a human, scrambling for a job so i can project the feeble illusion of meaning to my unpleasant existance, MERRY CHRSITMAS EVERYONE!

Sammaul

Nov 25, 2009
Seriously, no trolling whatsoever yet?
Here goes my answer: Fences!

Sorry, couldn't bother with the effort and it looks like you have a couple of decent answers already

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
JoesshittyOs said:
Haseo21 said:
I don't want to say "soul" because I don't think everyone believes in one, but, personally, that is one to me.

I'm going to have to go with the ability to stray from instinct and making certain decisions based on critical thinking.
Is this one of those "Dogs don't go to heaven" things?

Because I disagree strongly
No, I believe animals can go to heaven if there is one, its just that my interpretation of a soul is bit different than the popular vision.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Bestiality Laws.

Glad to help move the debate forward and upward!

I guess we prioritise different things.

Animals generally want food,sex,shelter/safety. After that, they just want MORE of those three things.

Ask most humans and they'd sacrifice all three of the above things for an ipad. You'll never find a meerkat or seahorse willing to do that.

Also, I have no concrete figures, but I wouldn't be surprised if we spend more as a race on curing impotence, hair loss and weight gain, than three randomly selected fatal diseases.

Death doesn't seem to be nearly as scary as being a fat slaphead who can't get it up.

I wonder if there's been an experiment with 2 dogs, where both get everything they need and want, but one gets 50% more food. I wonder if the other dog would turn violent or be content knowing it was getting everything it could ever want.

I sense people tend to hate those better off, even if they have everything they need. I can't see that happening in the animal world.

A Satanic Panda

Nov 5, 2009
Azahul said:
A Satanic Panda said:
But those wouldn't not be gorillas and orangutans, but a species with gorilla and orangutan ancestors. If evolution took its course, they would probably looking alot like humans.
And that, there, is a big part of my point. We're no different from animals. The only reason we have all this technology and visible and obvious culture is because we evolved in a particular way. There's nothing innately special about humans that separates us from animals. We just evolved in a slightly different manner to the other species around us. Which isn't anything great in and of itself, if everything evolved the same way there would be only one species, which would be kinda weird.
And that "particular way" is what I think separates us. We were the first primates to start making tools and planting crops. No other animal has spread its influence as far we have. THAT is separates us. And it is all that great because that "particular way" is what drives us to land on the moon, build skyscrapers, engineer microchips. Because that slight change altered the behavior of the whole species.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Nouw said:
Creativity and in some cases, sentience. But I've never really seen a solid definition for sentience. Some people tell me it's self-awareness, others tell me it's having a subjective experience.
I'm pretty sure there's like a checklist with 7 things on it you need to be considered sentient.

Only one I can remember is "fear of death" in an abstract sense.
self awareness might be on there as well. Or I could just be entirely wrong.

OT: I'm gonna say that there are a lot of things that separate us from animals. Cruelty is one. Animals do what they do to survive, even those that hunt when they aren't hungry are just following their instincts. Humans alone among the animals have the capacity to be willfully and consciously cruel.

That's a big one actually, the power to choose. We do have instincts, but we don't have to follow them, animals do. We can choose to ignore our instincts and act on logic or emotion instead.

or "Man is an animal which, alone among the animals, refuses to be satisfied by the fulfilment of animal desires."
~Alexander Graham Bell

shrimpcel

Sep 5, 2011
There's nothing that really separates humans from other animals except our ability to become more intelligent by experience, which is abnormally great for an animal. That's all. You mentioned technology and religion, but even you acknowledged that some animals use some forms of "technology". This leaves religion, and for that, think about dogs. Don't you think that they worship us as some sort of semi-divine figure? Or, maybe chimpanzees, although *probably* aware of death by seeing other chimpanzees die, believe in something after death?

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
I'm going to say the biggest difference between man and animal is that we're not afraid of vacuum cleaners.

. . .

Also, we invented vacuum cleaners.

Dominic Burchnall

Jun 13, 2011
I suppose the major one (aside the most obvious lateral thinking explanation of "different gene sequence") would be the ability to conceptualise the intangible. In slightly more comprehensible terms, the ability to build and sustain an idea in our heads, and to then extend on it and draw abstract or intangible conclusions from it. For example, a monkey couldn't come up with Marxism. A dolphin wouldn't be able to comprehend the Higgs Boson particle. You couldn't explain to an ourang-utan the startling similarities between our DNA makeup and his.

It seems that humans, unique of the life on this planet, are able to perpetuate ideas which do not relate directly to any practical physical operations. Orcas, for instance, can learn the beaching technique off of each other, in order to reach seals beyond the waters edge, an extremely risky tactic, as if it goes wrong the whale can be left stranded. However, by observing adults of the pod, and learning from their demonstrations, juveniles can learn the technique for themselves. But what good is a fiction novel to a killer whale?

For another example, octopi are one of the most intelligent invertebrates on the planet. They can navigate mazes, unscrew jars, totally alien man-made objects, and be aware of their surroundings and adopt appropriate camoflague. But what use is music or philosophy to an octopus? Although it may only have been in the last few thousand years or so that Homo sapiens sapiens has progressed to the point where such examples as I've given above have become luxuries, rather than required for the passage of knowledge and so forth, the fact that they exist at all requires the ability to think abstractly.

Zhadramekel

Apr 18, 2010
Ok correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought that both humans and animals were both classed as mammals, not animals. But the first thing that springs to mind is that humans can speak.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
I have to agree with the person who said 'pants' earlier. Other animals have demonstrated qualities we've claimed make us humans unique, but when was the last time you saw a chimpanzee wearing pants? Or a dolphin?

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
Humans are animals. Any separation between us and non-human animals ought to be founded on old traditional or religious thinking rather than any scientific reasoning.

I keep seeing people writing that humans, in difference to animals, relies on reasoning rather than instincts, but that's not at all in line what modern ethology and anthropology will tell us. Humans relies on instincts just as much, in some cases to a greater extent, than animals. Elephants, for example, are less dependent on primal neurological impulses when it comes to basic, everyday decisions than most human beings seems to be.

I also see people claiming that humans in difference to animals have "souls", but I don't even see any point in trying to counter-argument such bs.

As to intelligence, well many monkeys and apes shows signs of intelligence that are pratically human, and modern research in the area of ethology and animal intelligence constantly challenges old perceptions. I think the difference between a human, and a highly intelligent non-human animals such as a pig, a dolphin or a gorilla, is considerably smaller than most humans like to think.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
We're humans, they're not. Otherwise, we're ALL animals.

You can say whatever you want, but we are.

I just don't like acting like humans are somehow above being genetically related to other species.

Sure, we do things that other animals can't or won't do; but we still came from the same place as everything else.

SD-Fiend

Legacy
Nov 24, 2009
Country
United States
Zhadramekel said:
Ok correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought that both humans and animals were both classed as mammals, not animals. But the first thing that springs to mind is that humans can speak.
actually the title mammal only applies to warm blooded creatures that give live birth

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
The only thing that seperates humans from other animals is our over inflated sense of self-importance.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
CulixCupric said:
What do you think separates humans from other animals?
Creativity and imagination.

We do not "accept." We do not "adapt." Animals accept and adapt to the world around them as it is. For better or worse, we see potential -- that's the "imagination" -- and we feel a need to design ways of making that happen -- that's the "creativity."

Other animals have an inkling of this, like monkeys and crows using basic tools. But nowhere near what we have as a species.