What do you want to see in TES VI?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Benpasko said:
No no no GOD NO. I'm going to put this as nicely as I can. I think you need to go away, and play a different series. Fallout 4 was terrible, and the voiced protagonist was no small part of that.
Or, you know, he enjoyed playing as a person instead of a floating camera with a gun duct taped to the underside. Shoddy VO aside FO4 was the first Bethesda game where I actually played like I gave a damn instead of mechanically murdering my way through the world on the most efficient path to victory. Different strokes ect.

OT: Combat would be the big one. Either take a close look at Dark Messiah or try to make simplified first-person Dark Souls. Priority two for me would be a functional leveling system. The one in Skyrim was a big improvement over Oblivion, but the skill/leveling system in Oblivion is one of the worst systems to ever taint a video game so that isn't saying much.

Oh, and if they do indulge the Morrowind fans I really hope there is a option to quest markers back on for those of us who don't feel like spending five hours bumbling around looking for the one cave we are supposed to be in.

EDIT: better loot would be super awesome too. Magic weapons in Skyrim rarely even had unique models and it didn't even matter because they were underwhelming in effect and slaved to the awful charge system anyway.

nomotog_v1legacy

Jun 21, 2013
I don't want it to be TES. I guess that doesn't make sense, but here me out. TES games are more gameplay then they are settings. I would like to see a new setting.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
1. Bring back stats.
2. Bring back the ability to cast with my hands full. Stop discouraging battlemages.

Silverbane7

Jul 1, 2012
more *options* for things...

the option to turn on or off many things, from the voiced protagonist to the quest markers to the UI.
(so that those who want things on, can keep them, and those who want things off, can remove em. and not wait for modders to fix it)

the option to be bad. be good. be an asshole.
(i liked the karma system because you knew how good/bad you were being. in skyrim you can slap a kid about, but steal a single apple and you are hunted down like a dog.let some people love you, other groups hate you, and keep track of who is who)

personaly, i love the settlement setup from fallout4, but i do understand that not everyone likes it (and some hate its guts)
so, i would suggest that a settlement system be the first (and free) DLC for the next system. make it optional, keep it outside the season pass. infact, lets have 2 season passes...
*ducks pitchforks*
let me explain....
a good chunk of folks hate the workshop DLCs....a good chunk LOVE the workshop DLCs. most people can agree that beth has been a bit...well the term is 'inspired by' the modders...while most of the stuff they added could (and have) been made in similar ways as mods, i also understand the reasoning. if you look at the most endorsed mods,(when they are not EMBs or slooty mods) the settlement mods are too popular to pass up.

so, i sugest that they have 2 season passes.
one for the questline and expansion of map DLCs and the other for the settlement and building DLCs.
make the settlement system DLC a free, day one DLC and make sure that the future quest based DLCs dont *need* the settlement system in place to work.
that way, the people who love to build get to build, the people that want to just quest get to do that too. everyone wins (tho its a bit more expensive if you love both)

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
1) Set it in Hammerfell - We've seen a standard fantasy environment, weird alien world and a cold Norse-based land. I've yet to see a good fantasy set in the desert in the 1001 Arabian Nights vein.

2) Minimize the fetch quests - Frankly, I'd settle for eliminating them altogether. But they're fairly easy to program and seem to be a staple of RPGs. Still, just about every quest in Skyrim was "go here/kill this/get that".

3) Skill/Stat requirements for joining Guilds - To Saelune's point, the Arch Marge should be someone with high magica and a potent roster of spells...not just the person who completed all the fetch quests.

4) Spell levels instead of leveled spells - If I'm a Master at Destruction Magic, my fireballs should be able to take out a whole city block. Instead they do the same 25 point damage. Rather than have them cost less magica as one levels up, have them be more effective. So more damage for Destruction spells, better concealment for Invisibility, more powerful creatures that are summoned, etc. And speaking of spells...

5) Bring back levitation and teleport! In the game context, magically teleporting makes more sense than "fast travel".

6) Epic Magic Items - The majority of the artifacts and legendary weapons in Skyrim were just kind of...eh. It'd be interesting to see items that REALLY gave your character and edge. And have them tied to a challenging quest that requires more that killing a boss monster.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
1. a proper third person camera and play style

2. go to the future! Not liek the super future just advance time enough that motor vehicles exist... or at least steam powered ones... I just want trains and old west style scenes mixed with fantasy

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
1. Exclusionary membership in the various guilds. I personally find it annoying that I can play a game and become the Master Thief/Mage/Warrior all at the same time. Those organizations were incredibly insular in most fantasy settings, joining one was a lifelong dedication, not just a club membership for neat toys. Yeah you can just not join those other groups, but I'd like there to be some internal recognition that you have chosen a specific path for your character, and that sometimes opening one door, closes others.

2. Stealth options, lots of them. I love me some stealth stuff, always have, always will. I want more stealth capability and functionality.

3. No loading zones like Witcher 3 (or at least from what I've heard). I hated having to always go through the gates, and thus walk past the guards at every major city I went to in Skyrim. I'm playing a thief, sneaking into a hostile city under the cover of darkness. I want to be able to scale a wall, sneak along the parapets, and drop down, unbeknownst to the guards, and then begin my crime spree.

Seishisha

By the power of greyskull.
Aug 22, 2011
Hmm probably somthing like, new engine that supports better systems for lighting, seriously my main complaint about skyrim is it's too bright everywhere, even with mods to make it darker i still felt it was far too bright.

Better combat overall, i want somthing more akin to dark souls, where the weapons actualy handle differently and just spamming away with basic attacks would get you killed. Likewise better more varied magic would be nice, rather than three elemental spells that all do the same thing but slightly differently. Obviously more balanced stealth and archery would be nice since in skyrim if your a stealth archer you basicly cheese the whole game. (when i say like dark souls, i don't mean from the punishing challenge aspect, i mean having moveset variance across weapon types)

More item types, i want spears, halberds, axes, swords, daggers, maces, throwing weapons, bows long and short, crossbows, flails, bucklers, kite shields, round shields, tower shields, the list goes on, basicly if it exists as a medieval style weapon i want it in the game. The same goes for armor aswell. i want more than just helm, chest, boots and gloves, i want belts, capes, shoulders, leggings and anything else that could be conceivably added, including under armor, such as a leather brace under a chainmail shirt.

I'd also like to see stats make a return, just having health, stamina and magicka realy hurt the game i felt. Keep the perks system but rework it so that basic functions such as shield slam stagger are built in already (based on the type of shield you use vs the armor of enemey, or somthing simular) get rid of all the boring damage/effect percentage up perks, replace them with fun ones like proc chance for status effects, example firebolt damage scales with stats but perks give it chance to explode for area damage, chance to cast a secondary spell for free, chance to summon an lesser atronoch, basicly whatever floats your boat for additional effects, melee would ofcourse have a simular system of prc effects.

I'd love to see loot be more appealing aswell, one of the biggest issues with skyrim is that when you get say a skyforge weapon, it basicly outclasses every other weapon type you'll find in game for a long time, when all the bandits and draugrs just drop iron/steel or it's equivilant, because so few of the items come pre-enchanted, there is basicly no reason or opportunity to swap out gear untill late game. I'd love to see random prefixes on items, kinda diablo style with various rarities, from basic ones to that give a few stat points to more legendary items that have a whole range of effects. Unique items with matching set bonuses would be nice aswell.

If i think of anymore will wishful requests i'll edit this line and add them in.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
God, an engine built from the ground up.

Seriously, the Creation engine and everything built before it is complete shit. The games always felt like that were going for sandboxy, but when trying out the modding tools I just couldn't shake the feeling that I was working with a mass of scripted sequences that were broken and reconfigured into a way that attempted to make the game feel like a sandbox.

Also, no RPG mechanics. Bethsoft hasn't made an RPG since Morrowind. If they build the games as open world FPS games they'd fix the damage sponge problem.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Deciduous trees. Get out of the north, and no, not to drop me in the middle of Akaviri. I want actual green foliage again.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bring back attacking while jumping.

Make combat more interesting and complex. This will also require significantly better AI. I shouldn't need 3 different combat mods to get the game to a good state. Unfortunately, with the way combat works in these games, if they make the system too complex, it'll make fighting multiple enemies nearly impossible. That's why I believe they need to completely remake the combat system from the ground up. However, they still need to find a way to do this while making sure stats still matter.

Make all of the stories better. Sure there are a few standout quests from each game, but many are forgettable. The Witcher 3 has shown that you can make the vast majority of your quests highly compelling while still tackling an open world.

Make the world even more sandboxy. I want to be able to kill any NPC. I want the game to be able to react to this. Sure, you could make characters who are absolutely key to progressing the main story essential, but I'd rather there be more alternate paths to completing quests than simply using invisibility to ensure you take one course.

Don't allow the player to create better weapons than the ones that have legends about them or are owned by Daedric Princes. I don't mind being able to reinforce those legendary weapons, but creating something that's strictly better seems wrong to me.

Compelling characters. This ties in a lot with the quests one, but I feel that it needs special mention since it's something that Bethesda has basically done only a few times. Better writing, much better facial animations, and better acting will all help achieve this.

A new engine. I'm fairly certain that in order for them to accomplish a lot of what I want, they're going to need to at least make some major changes to their current engine if not make a completely new one. Then again, I don't know how any of that stuff works, so maybe they can keep iterating.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
A Fork said:
4. Sandbox Story
I don't want to play a sequence of highly linear quests. I expect to be able to kill Ulfric Stormcloak right after I escape from the beginning sequence. If I can figure it some trick or exploit to beat him at level 1, the game should let you do it and end an entire questline right there. Quests need to take into account how the player will play and what they would do to some degree. If the player accidentally stumbles upon the Dark Brotherhood secret entrance, he or she should be able to go to a nearby guard and say "Yo, I found this weird red glowing entrance", the devs should take into account that reasonable player action, and bam "Quest Added: Destroy the Dark Brotherhood". Also, at any time during the Dark Brotherhood questline you can talk to a guard and betray them. Stuff like that.
Yeah, I was replaying Skyrim recently to get the one trophy that glitched out on me (Ugh, Oblivion Walker) and I had to be careful about sequence breaking and quest triggers.

OT: I have been asking for this since...Oblivion. I. WANT. A. NEW. ENGINE. Preferably a third party one. Because Gameb/reation is OBVIOUSLY. NOT. WORKING. I would assume there would be a lot less bugs too, since the way the quest triggers are programmed have you open the command console to fix them half the time.

I really want a merchant with infinite gold. I was lugging so much treasure around Skyrim I had to go through my inventory and drop the least expensive stuff to make room. I was drowning in gems and I had to travel to each hold and empty the shopkeepers coffers. Give us another talking mudcrab or something.

Last thing is I want...wait, maybe they fixed this in F4, I can't remember because there were so few. But I want to be able to set up a base and keep ALL the unique items there without having the game nearly die on me every time I enter the room/area/chest where I keep it all. I know it's a lot of data, but this is the one unreasonable request I have.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
Zen Bard said:
1) Set it in Hammerfell - We've seen a standard fantasy environment, weird alien world and a cold Norse-based land. I've yet to see a good fantasy set in the desert in the 1001 Arabian Nights vein.
"Three" is not the same thing as "one". Want a chunk of Hammerfell? http://www.elderscrolls.com/daggerfall/ Want the whole thing? http://www.elderscrolls.com/arena/ And Redguards, culturally at least, are a lot closer to Berbers than Arabs- which could make for several fascinating stories in itself.

As to what I want...
Bring back the good parts of the series that were dumped to make Morrowind. More Bethesda, less Zenimax. Focusing on a single province let you bring it more to life; Morrowind whupped its predecessors in that field; fair enough. But pretty much everything else was a blatant dumbing down.
-Bring back different skills for different weapons- there's a lot more difference between swinging a broadsword and stabbing with a rapier than there is between firing a shotgun and firing a sniper rifle. If you wouldn't put those two weapons under the same skill, you shouldn't do it with the swords, either.
-Dial back the level scaling. Want to poke around Castle Sentinel at level 3? Good luck fighting Vampire ancients! It worked before; it can work again.
-Bring back (and expand on) non-combat skills- pretty much everything from Morrowind on out was either "things to do while fighting" or "things to do while preparing for fighting". Asking for languages to make a comeback may be a bit much, but climbing, running and swimming were a good start; give us mantling and let us not only explore more, but find ways to avoid combat that don't rely on a generic "sneaking" skill.
-Give us a spell-making system again. Was it game-able? Absolutely; any sufficiently complex system is. But the ability to fine-tune your creations added a great deal to character flexibility and let you get into all sorts of interesting trouble.
-Bring back the 3D dungeon maps. You've moved beyond Morrowind-style pocket dungeons; good. But if you're going to not only make dungeons of a decent size, but make vertical puzzles of them, the least you could do is it make it clear that that's what you're doing; the super-advanced technology of 1997 should not be beyond you.
-Get rid of the damn quest markers. Poring through an enormous dungeon, looking for a single sheet of paper that had the same graphic as uninteract-with-able background junk was a pain in the butt, and we still did just fine without them. Those graphical issues are gone; the brainless solutions to them should be, too. All it does it turn every task we're given into a fetch quest.
-Let us make notes on our maps again. It's not necessary now, but would be with the other changes I've suggested.

visiblenoise

Jul 2, 2014
- more voice actors, who speak faster than someone making a speech on a podium might speak
- more complicated leveling systems and skills (better to be like Oblivion than like Skyrim, I think)
- more gear, with more modifiers

I agree with a lot of what has been said, but I think these are fairly reasonable ones to ask for.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
-No voiced protagonist

-Add stealth kill animations for more than just humans (Kingdoms of Amalur did this years ago).

-Speaking of stealth, add new abilities you gain as you level up in stealth that give you more options to maintain your stealthiness, sort of like Far Cry 3 and 4 did. For example, it adds things like overhead takedowns, death from below, chain kills, etc.

-Make it so that certain character builds have a wider variety of ways to interact with the environment to complete quests. So for example: a warrior character can bash down a flimsy wall due to their strength, a mage character could activate a magical rune that creates a bridge, a stealth character has places where they can climb like a Ninja, etc.

-Be reasonable with enemies leveling with you. I get the point, but it's pretty ridiculous when you're fighting poor bandits armed with Daedric weapons.

-More emphasis on persuade abilities.

-And of course: keep it mod-friendly!

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
1) Better Dialogue Choices
One of my favorite mods for Skyrim has to be Khajiit Speak, which doesn't do anything but reword your dialogue choices to better fit a Khajiit player. This ranges from a lot of dry wit[footnote]"You think you can take on a Khajiit? Really? These claws are not for show. Well, they are, but that is not the point" (Brawl)[/footnote] to casual references to the lore behind the race[footnote]such as recognizing Akatosh as "Alkosh" and Sheogorath as "Skooma Cat", and various references to the world's history (Example: When a dunmer asks if you hate her people, you can respond "the dunmer used the khajiit as slaves. Hatred is only the proper response, no?"[/footnote]. It's pure flavor, but it makes playing as a Khajiit so much more fun. For Elder Scrolls VI, I'd like to see that kind of flavor added from the get-go, and for all races.

2) Height Differences
Another small but interesting change was brought on with a mod called Disparity, which came with a few options to it. The one I'm focusing on here is one that tweaked the character models a bit. Long story short there, I started a new game as a (male) Wood Elf and followed the Imperial into the keep. When the guy cut my character's bindings, I realized that I was a full head shorter than him. And I liked that simply because little details like size differences makes the people of the world seem a bit less interchangeable.

3) Essential Companions with Decent AI
I hated palling around with NPCs in Skyrim because 1) They were damn idiots that almost invariably decided that the best course of action whenever an enemy became even vaguely aware of us was to throw caution to the wind and rush in...thus alerting all the other enemies I was trying to thin out or prepare for to our presence. And 2) They tended to die because of their damn Leeroy Jenkins antics and the fact that they regularly jumped in front of my attacks. Give me archers with invisibility potions that you can assign to overwatch duty. Give me illusionists who will throw their voice to draw enemies, or necromancers who'll summon undead support to soften the room full of enemies before you finish them off. But don't give me a damn thief who trips every trap and then runs full sprint to attack enemies who weren't fully aware of us.

G00N3R7883

Feb 16, 2011
I would say the main thing I want to see is a more intelligent game. More ways to solve quests, more ways that NPCs will react to what you say and do. For example, the Thieves guild. The only way to resolve that questline is to join them and be a thief. I would have loved to pretend to join them, and work with the city guards to take them down. I think Bethesda have started doing this to a small degree in Fallout, so hopefully they can do it in Elder Scrolls too.

I'd like to see a survival mechanic too. I mean they already have beds, food, etc in the game, but those things are essentially pointless. Make me eat and sleep on a regular schedule (but not every 5 minutes like in all those Early Access survival games).

More dialogue choices and companions that actually have a personality, rather than just being an increased inventory size, would be nice too.

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
Lore that doesn't retcon stuff from Morrowind and dumb the world down to resemble a generic fantasy world.