What do you wish to see in Rome 2: Total War

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Nah, that's a terrible idea... everyone would just end up spamming archers with a couple units of cavalry. Battles would be boring as hell and the whole point of shield bashing would be lost. Have the archers as effective as they were in RTR, against armoured units, they suck except when you shoot them from behind.

OT: WE GET MARINES?!

Awesome...(!)
Archers were not that good in Shogun 2. Noobs who only played Starcraft had fantasies about bringing only archers and kiting around the map but it was mostly infantry rush builds that ruled. Against the AI you could get away with a horde of archers that infantry couldn't properly cover, but the reason for that is AI.

EquestrianGeneral

Jun 22, 2012
I don't really have much to say that everyone else hasn't already, but I have a few key ideas.

1. A better replay system. Have all sorts of editing abilities and be able to make custom replays.

2. Better Campaign AI. Pretty self-explanatory.

3. More diplomatic options. By this, I mean having my specific proposals/options, such as telling your allies to attack a certain army/city, trading only certain materials, etc.

4. A blood option that you don't have to buy. Arbitrary, yes, but it would still be nice.

5. Keep the stream-lined interface from Shogun 2.

Emergent System

Feb 27, 2010
I really hope they don't continue the "streamlining" trend that a lot of the newer, big game titles seem to be following. I wish they get close to Medieval 2 than Shogun 2, and that they actually allow modding since that's half the reason the old Total War titles are so great. As any enthusiast will know, there are mods both for R:TW and M:TW that can, without hyperbole, be said to be almost on the same level as expansion packs (generally lacking only in the kind of polish that requires paid professionals or access to the source to pull off).

I must admit my hopes are not high. The last several times I had high hopes for a sequel I was deeply diappointed by the streamlining watering-down the gameplay into a prettier-looking, but shallower, copy of the old one, often with features removed rather than added; replaced with the dumb-ing down of game mechanics for... commercial reasons, I guess.

Beyond that basic stuff, what I wish they'd change (from Shogun 2) is to put the significant random character traits back in, and give them meaning (not just "oh he drinks a lot and fucks any woman he sees so your army moves slower"). In Shogun 2 every character is basically a carbon-copy of every other character. In R:TW and M:TW, the individual characters had, well, character, at least in my mind. When every character ends up being the same they may as well not be there at all.

I guess they could also just add some way of gaining traits that doesn't involve combat, but I really wish they don't do it in the form of a boring, streamlined 'talent tree' - since then every character'd be the same, boring, uninspired cookie-cutter again.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
More Fun To Compute said:
Archers were not that good in Shogun 2. Noobs who only played Starcraft had fantasies about bringing only archers and kiting around the map but it was mostly infantry rush builds that ruled. Against the AI you could get away with a horde of archers that infantry couldn't properly cover, but the reason for that is AI.
I think even then, there's a problem. Even if the AI is shit, taking them out with archers only is not so much broken, but just stoopid. I'm all for RTR1.9's take on archers. They weren't actually crap, but you couldn't just point and order them to shoot. They had to manouvre to the open flank and shoot from there to be remotely effective, or send them only against unarmoured enemy units.

ReadyAmyFire said:
Kevin McKidd. Anachronism my ass just get him in there somewhere.
You may have your Kevin McKidd, so long as I'm allowed Kerry Condon!! =P

Jynthor

Mar 30, 2012
More politics!
It may be sad but politics is my favourite part of these games. I demand more options.
The system needs to be reworked so that it makes more sense, and I want to be able to really influence my allies. In Shogun 2 you can ask an ally to join your war, but they won't do anything and just make you wait. You should also be able to trade/gift/demand countries/provinces/units

I also want more options regarding your royal family. For example marrying off your daughter to some guy as a sign of peace. But secretly she plans to poison whoever she is married to or spy on him etc.

Oh and A Song of Ice and Fire: Total War would rock.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
But... Muskets... :<

Oh, well, it'll be my turn sooner or later. Hope this game turn out nicely!

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Individual, personalised Legions would be nice, Like in Roma Surrectum I & II. Though I doubt this will happen.

A proper phalanx formation animation.

Hell, I still need a computer that can run Medieval II so I won't be playing it any time soon.

More Fun To Compute

Nov 18, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
I think even then, there's a problem. Even if the AI is shit, taking them out with archers only is not so much broken, but just stoopid. I'm all for RTR1.9's take on archers. They weren't actually crap, but you couldn't just point and order them to shoot. They had to manouvre to the open flank and shoot from there to be remotely effective, or send them only against unarmoured enemy units.
You couldn't get away with only archers except on maybe a siege if you outnumbered them.

It's just that, say, if you could use 1 archer to 1 infantry against AI then you needed 4 infantry for 1 archer against a decent player and even then you were gimping yourself.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
I?m really hoping that in Rome 2, there is some regional variation in units. I?d love to see a difference between the men in Legions recruited in Gaul and those from say, Syria.
Obviously the majority should be Italian looking, certainly in the early game, but I think if would be a nice touch. And of course it should not be limited to Rome and her Legions.