What does every good game need?

Zodiac_A17

Feb 2, 2010
I was going to include a poll but that's just 20 open-ended, so what does EVERY GOOD game need?

Aug 25, 2009
The love of a good woman.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

EITHER

A mindblowing story

OR

slick gameplay AND graphics combined.

Preferably both, and overall I would rather take the story over the graphics and gameply, but I don't think every game needs an imaginative story, or that every game needs to strain the graphics processors to their limits.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
A Good story that moves the player and Gameplay that keeps them hooked.
-Also see Fire Emblem-

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
A captivating story, interesting characters that are easy to relate to, and fun gameplay. Fun does not equal unique, as long as it's fun to play, it doesn't matter if it's been done a hojillion times before.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NPCs.

Even if its just another racer in a racing game. A game 100% alone, is a game that sucks. Even Goombas and Octoroks are NPCs.

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Gameplay or story.

One will make the other worthwhile, but I prefer a gameplay game myself, despite the fact that most of my top 10 games have bullshit or average gameplay.

Nincompoop

May 24, 2009
Variability.

Like, not being too repetitive, and also the ability to do things different each time. Both on a large scale (choices in a game e.g. ME2) but also small (in the gameplay e.g. realistic physics and intelligent ragdoll effect (euphoria), or just various ways of doing stuff).

Also replayability on a large scale, like restarting with different classes or paths.

For me, spectacular graphics, animation, physics and sound often satisfies me.

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Replayable single player experience.

i.e Gmod, Portal, Supreme Commander, Oblivion (I can't speak for morrow wind, I've never played it) and Assassins creed 1.

PDizzle418

Mar 6, 2008
everyone here is nailing it

a good game needs to have a story that is so gripping that you simply must continue regardless of poor graphic and gameplay. This game is uncommon because it's hard to make a game that is so broken and I can't think of any really off the top of my head props to anyone who can name a couple good examples for me.
An example for me would be Halo 2 and 3, whle I loved Halo 1 halo 2 and 3 were so different in there goals taht I sort of lost my love of the gameplay, very standard shooter in my opinion but the story was great.

or a good game needs gameplay that is so good that you can ignore shoddy story, there are lots of this type of game. I'd say that it is far easier to change up the gameplay than it is to write an extremely good story. The gameplay that these games present is so good that there can be a broken story and next to none at all for these to work.
An example of this game would be a lot of fighting games/brawlers.

Points to anyone who can think of more examples for these

However the mark of a great game is the right mixture of both fantastic and gripping story as well as solid and fun gameplay. Halo 1 did it for me, as well as Mass Effect

Retro704

Feb 14, 2010
Depends on the genre really

RPGs need good story (Quality, over quantity) and decent game-play

FPSs need EXTREMELY good game-play (in my opinion at least, b/c i haven't met a good shooter recently) and could use a bit o' story but the chances of getting any are slim to NONE

Most other games need a combination of both

Disaster Button

Elite Member
Feb 18, 2009
For me it would be a really good story.

Not the RPG style where its all drawn out (don't get me wrong I like those too) but the one that's not forgotten or dropped for awhile, something in the style of Bioshock 1 or 2.