What everyone is doing wrong in TeamFortress 2

chase211

Sep 22, 2008
Cry Moar! If its cool with you I'll play whatever class pleases me, usually that means soldier on offense engy on defense...you do whatever it is you do. If you expect anything more than that then join a team and a league. In a public server nothing is more annoying than people like you.

Scarecrow38

Apr 17, 2008
You have some good points, but in my view the beauty of TF2 is its strategy without strategy. Disfunctional teams win just as often as super organised, "experienced" teams. Even someone doing the most ridiculous looking thing can help. Building 2 sentries simultaneously takes the same total time as doing one than doing the other (and the other engi can't trust you to help him anyway). Pyros are an atacking class so although they can help spy-check on the way up, their real role is pushing through blocked points.
As for the scout, don't worry about the overpopulation... people will get over it, as they have for every other update.
Even a spy spawn-camping helps. That's still 10 seconds their team doesn't have a heavy/medic/ whoever.
Also, as someone who is also a competent demoman ( come on, who can resist playing a class that's both black and Scottish) there's nothing wrong with primarily using stickies. Some people prefer to use him as a defender (which is equally fine as attacking.. seeing as he's labelled under defensive). Even when attacking, some prefer to use the stickies because they offer more control (there's also the possibility that they ran out of regular grenades once you started watching them.. which, as you would know, happens real quick).

So.. even though it may seem that people "don't know" how to play, it's actually the case that they do.. but have a different perception to you as what their purpose is. As I originally said, for TF2 the beauty of it is how effective the uncontrolled synergy of the team can be. It all adds up and no matter how much theory you put into it.. nothing is gonna prevent that ubered heavy from smashing through your defense.

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Which one would you like to be CyberAkuma?

TFSnob - You look down on all others that do things differently to you as riff-raff.

TFNazi - You believe all people who don't follow your doctrine should be rounded up and removed.

If you like option 1 then build yourself a virtual palace to sit in and brood so we don't have to bother with you.

If you like option 2 then invade virtual Russia and let us know how it goes.

Either way, if you want Team Fortress played the way you want it, play with bots or hire some hookers to play with you.

VeX1le

Aug 26, 2008
Fraser.J.A said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Umm... what you are doing wrong... the game is meant to have fun, like all games, not yell at everyone for what they are doing wrong...
Hell yes. Most people play Team Fortress "right", by having fun. The people who play it "wrong" are the ones who complain into their microphones at their teammates for not playing in the way they think will win the game with maximum efficiency. If a Pyro gets bored waiting in the base for a Spy to come along, she should leave and go cause some havoc elsewhere because it's more fun.

And please, please, please don't be one of the people who abuse their teammates for not having microphones. I've heard "You're ruining the fucking game!" more times than I ever wanted to. I do have a mic, actually, but most of the time I'd rather play than chat, especially when my conversation partner spends the whole time complaining about how other people choose to have their fun in this game.
first of all games are played not learned. second just because they supposedly played "wrong" dosent mean your having less fun. ok your being a little hypicritical because right now your saying most of us is less then you. and dont bs me by saying its more fun because you can have just as much fun burning the hell out of everyone as a pyro or bonking a few people

WolfLordAndy

Sep 19, 2008
You need to chill out and have some fun more, in responce to a couple of your points tho

Scout: Its still the new class, I don't have the bonk juice yet so I still play scout whenever I can, although I'll admit where theres already 2 or 3 scouts or if we're defending I'll try play something else.

Medic: I have to agree with most of what you put, but don't yell at bad medics too much, better to have a bad medic then no medic at all. Often you go on public servers and there isnt a single medic on the team. Also, stop comparing public play to matches. Matches are well run, well communicated affairs where everyone knows what they're doing. PUGs are full of randoms who don't know each other, might not even speak the same language, may have just got the game, or may be half blind.

Pyros: Yes they are best at spy checking, but others can to, and rather then sitting behind there turret, an engi can roam a little bit around the turret just keeping an eye on things, sniping with his pistol round the corner etc.

Spys: while you might call it stat padding or pissing about, camping near the enemy spawns lets spys selectively kill enemys (Such as engis and medics) before they even get near the front, this both instils a sence of paranoia and frustration in the enemy team, making them make mistakes. But spys shouldnt stay overly long, as soon as a few of the enemy have switched to pyro to hunt you down is the time to leave. Taking out snipers will often get them changing out and give ease of play to the rest of your own team.

Offencively spys can disrupt supply line by taking out teles, and this in turn takes the engis away from there precious sentry to go stick a new one down.

Engi: Yes, its better to get a higher level sentry up, but there is nothing wrong with a engi going and sticking his sentry down to start setting up, and leaving it to go get more materials or help out someone else. This is better management of time, while its in set up, you can;t upgrade it, so go get more materials, so when you're back its ready to put 200 straight into it to get straight to level 2.

Demo: Traps don't work as well as they did with the pyro pushback and bullets taking them out now, so only clever sticky traps, or suicidal/dumb enemies get caught in them. Yes the pipe launcher is much more gun and run, but a decent demo can use the stickies better then the pipe launcher, blowing them up in mid air aroud the target rather then miss iwth the pipe and do 0 damage.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I just pick up the Heavy or Medic and try my best to help the team at the time. I heal all...and I like my big gun. Me no has Natasha yet though....

VashtaNerada

Jul 23, 2008
You should of made a guide giving tips on how to play the classes better, not criticizing how some play

Syndef

Nov 14, 2008
I haven't met a lot of people in-game that cared about play style on each class. Maybe it's the quick spawn thing. Unlike Counter Strike, a death doesn't mean much in TF2. I'm the kind of player that switches classes several times during a round to accomplish different things. If a Sniper is getting on everyone's nerves, I become a Spy. If the final point is being harassed too much or if I hear "Spy's sappin' my sentry!" too often, I become a Pyro and torch everything I see (and don't see). If my team needs some extra push to capture a point, I become a Scout. If a turret is annoying my team mates or if I see the enemy going through the same area too often, I become a Demoman. If the team is mostly inexperienced, I play as a Medic to help out the noobs.

Usually though, you'll see me hanging back and sniping while trying to stay out of everyone's way (can't go wrong there). It's either that, or repeated assaults as a Pyro (Anyone that's not brave enough to stay around and shoot at you will run. I like that.)

I never get mad at a player for doing something unusual or unhelpful for his class. Those players usually die quickly anyway. And the smarter ones usually rage-quit or improve after dying several times.
I know, I know...it's TEAM Fortress 2, but hey...it's the old Counter Strike habits and natural Rambo-esque impulses, you know... Besides, you can switch servers anytime something is bugging you. I do that a lot. It takes a while to find a server of folks you like.

LewsTherin

Jun 22, 2008
I actually like to put a sentry behind another sentry, especially around a corner or a long hallway. By that time the scout just has touched ground or the uber has run out.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
fix-the-spade said:
Pyre00 said:
Please learn to spycheck yourself. I hate people like you who scream at the pyro fighting on the front line to spycheck more because they are too retarded to do it themselves.
I second this, it never gets old hearing people scream spy when you're at the other end of the map fighting for the objective. Besides, a good Engi should be more than a match for a spy...
I usually have to be there and literally sit next to a sentry while the engie runs off and never comes back. Then they whine when I go off and their sentry dies when they didn't do ANYTHING!!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
CyberAkuma said:
Cheers to you! This is all essentially spot on, except for two things:

1. The flood of scouts: you're right, this does happen every time a class is updated. It's unavoidable, and initially it was a reactionary response. Few people would play as medic or pyro before the updates, so Valve threw a little juice into the class and suddenly EVERYONE is playing it. The trend varies, eventually this problem will take care of itself.

2. The demo - it's true that the contact grenades are an indispensable weapon, but they are most effective when you can inflict direct damage, which is VERY DIFFICULT for most players in a dog-fight type situation. But you should rethink the stickies - putting them in random places and camping, yes that's really lame. But using them to moderate a crucial chokepoint in a map can do a lot behind-the-scenes to effect the gameplay. Having a sticky trap at the staircase or front-door of 2fort when a five-man rush comes in could mean the difference between a manageable wave of enemies and an overwhelming hoard.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
And the rest of you: STOP HATING! I rather he come here and ***** about it than ***** at me over the in-game mic! Those disorganized teams that win rounds usually are winning because someone on the team is doing a good job fulfilling a role. If you build one sentry in front of another, you WILL get bitched at because that is FUCKING STUPID. If you build one ACROSS from another, it makes a world of difference. If the pyro is randomly charging into the enemy base and lighting everyone on fire, he'll likely die each time while his victims will simply run back to spawn and gain their health back. If the pyro is SCANNING AN AREA, he'll perform much better points-wise and will do a lot more for the team than otherwise.

It's called TEAM Fortress, it's not unacceptable to expect team players.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
megapenguinx said:
fix-the-spade said:
Pyre00 said:
Please learn to spycheck yourself. I hate people like you who scream at the pyro fighting on the front line to spycheck more because they are too retarded to do it themselves.
I second this, it never gets old hearing people scream spy when you're at the other end of the map fighting for the objective. Besides, a good Engi should be more than a match for a spy...
I usually have to be there and literally sit next to a sentry while the engie runs off and never comes back. Then they whine when I go off and their sentry dies when they didn't do ANYTHING!!
usually that engie is running off to get metal. if he bitches at you for leaving after waiting patiently, he's got his own problems... but the reason engies are asking pyros to help spy check is because it's so much EASIER. Engies can run around swinging the wrench or blasting shotgun pellets at random and may never find a guy, and a smart spy will use this distraction to his advantage. But if a pyro just sits there and spams fire off of a dispenser, he'll illuminate the spy for everyone to see. Maybe try alternating, one round hit the front line, then take a few minutes to help out an engineer the next round.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
300lb. Samoan said:
megapenguinx said:
fix-the-spade said:
Pyre00 said:
usually that engie is running off to get metal. if he bitches at you for leaving, he's got his own problems... but the reason engies are asking pyros to help spy check is because it's so much EASIER. Engies can run around swinging the wrench or blasting shotgun pellets at random and may never find a guy, and a smart spy will use this distraction to his advantage. But if a pyro just sits there and spams fire off of a dispenser, he'll illuminate the spy for everyone to see. Maybe try alternating, one round hit the front line, then take a few minutes to help out an engineer the next round.
Actually, they usually run off to the front line, die and go off again constantly. They never come back to repair their sentries even when I'm telling them they are damaged and I can't defend them for much longer.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Amethyst Wind said:
It is unnaceptable to the degree he's asking for.

His opinion =/= fact.
You don't have to agree with everything he's saying, but I can tell you without a doubt that the more you work as a team, the more enjoyable the game gets by exponential degrees. It's designed to reward team cooperation. That's a fact.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Actually, they usually run off to the front line, die and go off again constantly. They never come back to repair their sentries even when I'm telling them they are damaged and I can't defend them for much longer.
Then the engies you're playing with are rejects, and you should probably ***** at them for telling you to do their work while they have fun.