What everyone is doing wrong in TeamFortress 2

butterkniferampage

Feb 25, 2008
yeah you have valid arguments, except about the spy, but i agree with everyone else just relax and aim your gun at a cartoon character

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
stinkychops said:
I agree with everything you said except for the demoman. It can be incredibly hard for a demoman to destroy sentries and move up the battlefield when he has a completely unco-operative team, simply due to the fact thta a pyro an almost always light him on fire (not kill but light) and he has no counter to a soldier with a medic.
But sometimes the demoman can do sentries that no one else can, by launching over cover and around corners. Requires some sneakiness, but sometimes a good demoman on a bad team can use this approach to break the line.

Plus, that's part of the fun of being a demoman - it's so damn risky!

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
stinkychops said:
Yeah, I know, but when you have a team thats turtleing(either side), or an unco-operative medic, it makes it almost impossible. You can't push past all those enemies yourself and have enough health without wall camping on occasion. Something that the OP refuses to accept.
I wouldn't say he refuses to accept it... he isn't even participating in the discussion...

You're right, when someone's getting their turtle on, the only way you can handle that is with a cooperative team. But if you're a medic, and you call for a demo or soldier to take an uber and start working on that other team, and someone won't do it because they're too busy watching some barely-trafficked entrance, isn't that kind of obnoxious? Especially knowing that sending that guy in could change the entire outcome of the game and would be LOTS OF FUN!!!

But when you have an inept team, I agree - somethings are just unavoidable.

peduncle

Jan 27, 2009
tset to see if you are playing TF2 (or any game) wrong:

Are you having fun?
yes - you're playing correctly
No - you're playing wrong

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Well. Why don't you speak up and if they don't agree with you then let them play. It's there play style and it's only a game.Not like it is a life or death sitiuation.

dungeonmaster

Apr 30, 2008
I play all the classes myself too.
I watched an interesting movie on engineers that helped my game alot, its playing an engineer on offence, you repeatedly demolish and move your level one sentry up, a level one sentry still kills a scout in under 5 seconds, even less if you pounding him with your shotty cause you are ALWAYS close to your randomly (I.E. out of sight) placed sentry.
I dont follow this tactic closely, I like placing teleporters and dispencers too much.

Medic is my best class I think, everyone near me is always at full health.
Soldiers are best I think if you just want to get kills, just aim for the nearest wall to who you want to blow up.
And Demoman, I put sticky bombs behind and beneath me so I can retreat and blow up the pyro or scout that is trying to get close to me. You can right click to explode them with either weopon out.

Not a huge fan of heavy, spy, sniper or scout really. Probs cause I suck with them. But I like to play all the classes kinda evenly.

DistinctlyBenign

Dec 24, 2008
CyberAkuma said:
Playing the Demoman is (in simplistic ways) just a soldier with a gravity-affected Rocket Launcher.
Interesting that you would say that. I love the Demo, one of my most favored classes after Heavy. But I go Soldier and I just end up missing all of my shots and getting killed trying to defend myself with a shotgun while I run for cover to reload. :/

Unlike the OP I don't consider myself 'awesome' at TF2 or qualified to tell other people how to play. However, I do offer constructive criticism to other Heavies out there: Use your shotgun, not your sanvich. Maybe on an Arena server the sanvich serves a purpose to hide and heal up if your the last one alive with no dispensers, but I've seen tons of Heavies on non-arena servers with the sanvich. When you're on the front lines and hear that 'Click-click-click' sound, a shotgun will be a much better asset in getting yourself back to a dispenser or ammo crate than a couple slices of bread with some meat in the middle. Plus Heavies are Medic magnets, its not like they get ignored when it comes to healing and need the thing.

von Ohzu

Apr 21, 2009
Agree with you on the Kritz, when defending anyway. There are so many times when I just Kritz a Pyro or Heavy and take out half of the attacking team.

karl_eller

Aug 7, 2008
CyberAkuma said:
Scout

While the scout with the updates have recently made the Scout a versitile weapon, I feel that - like when every update arrives - theres just way too many of said class on the team.
Having 5 Scouts on the Defending Team on GoldRush is just plain retarded and it really pisses me off when the people in my team honestly believe that there's no class that's better than the Scout on defense. Now, the Scout class is very versitile and might even have a significant advantage in CTF-maps, but on Defense/Offense maps like Goldrush, DBheights, Badlands etc - unless you are a GOD with the Sandman, please - just don't pick the Scout.
I've seen more than enough matches where the attacking team wins in less than a few minutes.
Pick spy, medic, anything that isn't a Scout on a defensive map.
A few Scouts on a defensive map can be surprisingly effective. They can often flank the enemy and come around behind to harass engineers and snipers, as well as making the occasional medic waste an uber. And you ALWAYS get an influx of a class when it gets an update. Happened with medics, happened with pyro, happened with heavy. It dies down after a little while once most people have their achievements, so learn to live with it.

CyberAkuma said:
Spy

I've never played this class at all, but I do know the difference between a good Spy and a bad Spy. A good Spy engages enemy turrets, dispensers and they make themselves a pesky problem from the enemy teams Engineers or take over Capture Points. A bad spy is one that camps outside the enemys spawn, backstabs respawned people coming out of the spawn and thinks that being a Spy is all about the points. This seriously is a waste of server bandwidth. People who play Spy like as if it was a Single Player Campaign and not a cooperative effort should be fucking banned from all Valve servers.
An enemy who dies at their spawn is an enemy that never makes it to the front line. A LOT of players assume that just outside their spawn is safe, so aren't really on the look out for spies. Often trying to sap sentries is a quick way to wind up dead to a wrench, while not doing anything. Sapping just before your team mates come around the corner can be a great help, but otherwise keeping the enemy delayed around their spawn is just as helpful.

CyberAkuma said:
Medic

Don't just walk around and insist on only healing the HW-Guys. It really drives me up the damn wall when there's 5 burning teammates that are near-death, 1 medic and one HW-Guy and the Medic just insists on healing the HW-Guy. A medic is an incredible asset to a team since the game - and the maps generally - have very little to no healthpacks. A medic that can heal people efficiently will make the team more portable, more versitable and be able to sustain more damage.
Also - stop the hate on the Kritz. The Kritz is an underappreciated resource to the team that I see too few people using and the few times I tell people that the Kritz in the right situation could be invaluable; people tell me I should go suck donkey balls.
I've seen enough matches where the Kritz makes a significant difference and can turn the entire tide of battle in the right hands and I don't need to remind people that Valve put that thing in there for a reason.
I do agree with you on this. I've seen a lot of medics that stick to a heavy even when he's fully buffed while team mates are burning to death around him. And what's even more annoying is when they build up an uber, you ask them to use it on you, run around a corner into the enemy and find out they've switched to someone else (even when you take into account the delay in voice chat).
And Kritz can be extremely useful for clearing blocked chokepoint. Heavies and pyros can mow down entire teams, demos can level sentries (and most importantly, their engineers) in 1-2 stickies and regular grenades, kritz soldiers can be a major headache.

CyberAkuma said:
Pyro

Here comes perhaps my biggest rant, or my biggest f*-in' psychosis about people playing this class all wrong. As a Pyro, you have the unspoken obligation of being the most important anti-Spy addition to the team than any other class. This is just simply because there is no other class that can roast cloaked/diguised Spys with such ease. There is just simply no excuse when there's 3-4 Pyros on my team and I'm trying to set up a Sentry-Gun for the 5th time in our base because some Spy keeps sapping my stuff. If you are a Pyro that only cares about the scoreboard, your server rank and only setting the opposing team on fire as fast as possible before being blown up to tiny bits, then please get the hell off my server. Please get the hell of the Internet and please shove your mouse up your rectum.
It even doesn't make any sense if all these douchebag-Pyros care about is the score board, because if you frequently Spy-Check your base, you'll earn quite a lot of easy kills every minute or so! I have a serious problem with clueless Pyros that hasn't grasped the importance of Spy-checking or baby-sitting Level-1 Sentryguns until the Engineers have set up a solid defense point. It has become such a problem that I sometimes swicth from Engineer to Pyro just to get rid of the Spy-problem. It's a fucking disgrace that I have to do the job myself.
As an engie, learn to spycheck. Pyros are offensive ambush classes, so they SHOULD be up the front killing enemies. Sure, it'd be nice of them to spy check while they're on their way forward, but don't expect one to hang around the intel in 2Fort just to spy check for one engie. Yes, you sometimes need help in high-traffic areas where you have a lot of team mates running through (and thus lots of possible spies), but usually there are enough pyros moving past to do the odd spy check.
And spy checking is rarely a way to quickly get points. Even with 2 spies constantly attacking on the enemy team, that's still only 1-2 kills per minute, and unlike engies, pyros can't knock sappers off sentries and dispensers.
What I DO hate, though, is people who assume that just because pyro is my preferred class, that I must be a n00b "W + mouse1" pyro. Yes, some people do play like that, but they usually die very quickly and either give up on that class or learn to handle the pyro properly.
I also hate people who ***** about pyros being over-powered because an ambush class ambushed them and *gasp!* actually was effective! 95% of the time the problem is the victim doesn't know what to do when ambushed by a pyro.

CyberAkuma said:
Engineer

Don't set up your SentryGun right in front of mine. It will simply not work.
First of all SGs will not shoot through each other; secondly one übercharge and they're BOTH blown up or third; one smart/skilled Demoman can blow them both up with little to no effort.
Secondly - Help out fellow Engineers. This really pisses me off the most about other people playing as Engineer. If someone builds a SentryGun alone, it will take forever for it to be built. If 2 Engineers whack the Sentrygun while it's being deployed, the time it takes for it to be fully deployed is cut by 400%. I'm not kidding.
An untouched Dispenser takes 20 seconds for it to be deployed. If 1 Engy wrenches it constantly it'll take 10 seconds, if 2 Engys wrench it, it will take 5 seconds.
If you see a teammate Engineer build something, help him the fuck out.
One Level 3 SentryGun is way more powerful and way more important than two tiny Level 1 Sentryguns. In cannot explain accuratly enough of how much importance it is that Engineers cooperate with each other building stuff. It brings my brain to a boil seeing 2-3 Engineers walk past my Level 1 Sentrygun and Dispenser and me struggling to find the materials to upgrade the damned things.
Perhaps the very reason they're not helping you is because they need their metal to set up sentries in a different spot, and stopping to help you might delay the setting up of forward defences to fortify a push. Yes, if multiple engies are setting up in the same place, they should help each other out (although 2 Lvl 1 sentries can be better than 1 Lvl 3 against spies and scouts, especially since multiple sentries make disguised spies stand out), but don't expect every engie to instantly drop everything he's doing to help you upgrade your stuff.

CyberAkuma said:
Demoman

Some say playing the Demoman is hard. I disagree. Playing the Demoman is (in simplistic ways) just a soldier with a gravity-affected Rocket Launcher. Well, that's not entirely true but much of it is quite simply just like that. The Demoman is ment to be played both as an aggressive assault-class and a defensive class. Don't just hang around in the same damned spot setting up sticky-grenade traps in the hall waiting forever for someone to show up. Move your arse and unload regular grenades as if your life depended on it. (uh, wait, it DOES!) It really baffles me how many people who play Demoman use stickys 90% of the team they're fighting people. I'm a pretty good Demoman (my record is 30 Points) and 90% of the time I use regular grenades. Sticky-traps are good for very few rare occasions, like defending your teams dropped Intel, but sticky trapping obscure places and camp there for minutes is a waste of time. Also, Demomen are incredibly important when it comes to clearing out enemy SentryGuns - über or no über.
There are 3 things that make the regular grenade launcher less appealing, ESPECIALLY at closer ranges:
1) Small clip size with slow reload.
2) Needing direct hits to deal effective amounts of damage.
3) Flight time of the grenades
4) Grenades being launched from slightly off-screen (combine this is #2 and close range, this is very annoying).
If something gets up in your face, you have to either pray for a direct hit or two from a grenade, or else backpedal while laying stickies and hope they run into your "mines". You chew through

CyberAkuma said:
What are your thoughts on my composed list? Also please list your thoughts on playing classes wrong or any other TF2-teammate-rant.
Like others, I think a lot of this is either you ranting about people who don't play "your" way, or that they don't change what they're doing to cover your weak points (some of which might be a class weakness, others might be a player weakness). Just because they're playing a class in an unusual way, doesn't mean they're "doin' it wrong!". Hell, I've been a combat engie on more than one occasion to surprising effect (Crit wrenching medics with prepared ubers because they think it's "just" an engie and thus not a threat), and battle medics can also be a surprise.
Alternatively, someone might be trying to get a particular achievement or help a friend with an achievement (eg 20 assists with a heavy in one life for a medic, or the similar achievement for the heavy) that means they might focus on a particular class or person.

Eller

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I agree with you on several points, no one helps the engineer, the team only careswhen defenses are down and the flag is already out in the enemy base having sandwiches with the other team. Either help the engie or shut up, it's hard keeping it up, a spy runs in an saps it and then someone hits it with a rocket, your sentry is down and you with as much HP as a scout are TOAST.

The only thing worse than this is when your stuff is getting sapped and there's an engie standing next to it but does nothing to save it. That's infuriating on so many levels it's just beyond explanation, hit the stupid thing twice and save the guys stuff, what is it going to cost you?

As for that whole argument where a pyro should help an engie, this is inexcusable, the engie has little chance against a good spy, a spy can backstab the engie and sap his stuff before the engie knows what happened. And where does that leave you? Well now more enemies can walk into your base and you have no place to heal, something that could have been avoided with team work, a fitting thing since it's Team Fortress and not Solo Hero Fortress.

The engie is NOT an offensive class, they can handle themselves well when they have equipment to back them up, they have 125 HP and no high powered weapon besides the sentry, which is being sapped and targeted by 8 other angry Blu team members. They DO need help vs spys, remember this engies are your teams foundation, they let you move further in a big level, they keep your ammo and HP up, without them the game would be far harder.

The only thing that tops this is when a engie builds a sentry right infront of yours, it's insane, do you expect to get more kills? There's tons of places to plant them and if those spots are taken, chances are you should change classes.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I think one of the interesting dynamic changes came in the form of the pyro. While it was always a fairly swift class and packed a lot of health, the Team Fortress Mega and TFC pyros lacked most of the current level of firepower they have today. Instead, they had a fair bit of diversity in their capabilities that made them a favorite screening force (an offensive defender if that makes sense). Using incendiary rockets and flame throwers, the pyro's usual job was to ensure no one made it into the base without suffering damage, and when pressed could provide an excellent addition to an assault force (napalm grenades and walls of flames mean that defenders will literally have to wade through the very fires of hell to catch the scout who just stole the flag). Back then, the pyro was commonly spy checking as a result of his more defensive oriented role in the game.

In fact, it would seem that most of the game changes resulted in a more offensive mindset in general. Spy's went from a harrassing force in previous entries into nothing more than assassins. Scouts became the ultimate fast attack force (previously it was unlikely the scout could kill anything more than a soldier or another scout by itself, even if played by a skilled player. The scout's job was to grab flags and it had just enough firepower to dissuade pursuit). The addition of the heavie's ability to move and fire (albiet slowly) combined with the uber mechanic means that rarely do I see a heavy on the ramp room in 2fort - instead they favor a position in the outer perhiphery of the enemy base.

A few classes remained largely unchanged. The Demo man is still stronger on defense than offense, and the soldier is at home in any short to mid ranged fight. The sniper still forms the outer line of defense against the enemy and the engineer still exists to deny enemy entry into key areas.

When I first played the game and was killed by a scout (as a soldier) in just a few shots, I realized that this was indeed a brave new world. And I didn't much care for it. These days, I tend to favor the classes I always hated. My favored classes of spy and pyro have been exchanged for medic and heavy. For the most part I'm amazed at how inept most medics are and just how laughably bad most heavies are. It's the easiest weapon to employ and yet I often see heavies getting beaten down from full health by a intrepid lone scout without ever landing a hit. You have a fully automatic shotgun with a tremendous ammunition supply and you are shooting at one of the flimsiest classes in the game. Sure they move fast - that's why your gun shoots faster.

BeeRye

Mar 4, 2009
CyberAkuma said:
Demoman

Some say playing the Demoman is hard. I disagree. Playing the Demoman is (in simplistic ways) just a soldier with a gravity-affected Rocket Launcher. Well, that's not entirely true but much of it is quite simply just like that. The Demoman is ment to be played both as an aggressive assault-class and a defensive class. Don't just hang around in the same damned spot setting up sticky-grenade traps in the hall waiting forever for someone to show up. Move your arse and unload regular grenades as if your life depended on it. (uh, wait, it DOES!) It really baffles me how many people who play Demoman use stickys 90% of the team they're fighting people. I'm a pretty good Demoman (my record is 30 Points) and 90% of the time I use regular grenades. Sticky-traps are good for very few rare occasions, like defending your teams dropped Intel, but sticky trapping obscure places and camp there for minutes is a waste of time. Also, Demomen are incredibly important when it comes to clearing out enemy SentryGuns - über or no über.

Cheers.
Let's see you play the demoman like this and i'll be happy. http://www.sourceradio.com/modules.php?name=Vault&page=watch&id=1452

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
Oh dang, and here I was playing the game for FUN!

Drats, I guess I'll just have to re-evaluate the way I play.

OP, if you don't like the way people play, move to a different server.

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
God, I can't believe how many of you people are being so...

If you have a problem with what he's saying, why even reply?

Some people enjoy playing a team-based game with a little cooperation from their team, you know? :/

I'm sure the game is just as fun and maybe even MORE exciting when you pay attention to 5 people's health bars than just 1...

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
A lot of that is true. It also depends on playstyle too. Frontline pyros aren't going to spycheck after all. Engies should help each other if enemies are incoming and should build what hasn't been built yet (i.e. one guy is building a sentry so you build a dispenser). Spy is really a matter of what works on the map. Backstab whoever you can but also sap if the team is stalemated. Medics do need to learn to spread the love, but they do okay most of the time.

I only have a problem with a game when there are multiple engineers with sentries and dispensers but no teles. That annoys me. I also hate people who don't know that when someone is capping, you need to stand on the point to stop them, not stand ten feet away and shot them while they win the game.

spuddyt

Nov 22, 2008
scobie said:
CyberAkuma said:
If 2 Engineers whack the Sentrygun while it's being deployed, the time it takes for it to be fully deployed is cut by 400%. I'm not kidding.
Just one thing. You can't cut the time it takes to do something by 400%. The maximum would be 100%. This is because if something takes 20 seconds then 400% is 4 times that, i.e. 80 seconds. If you cut the time by 80 seconds it would take minus 60 seconds, or rather be finished a minute before you started. I don't think games are yet advanced enough to deal with retroactivity. Sounds like you must have meant something different.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqerUDPguO0
o.0