What exactly would it take to wipe humanity off the face of the Earth?

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
What exactly would it take to wipe humanity off the face of the Earth?

Willpower. Dedication. Drive!

But seriously, I would think that a number of relatively small shifts in the earth's portfolio would wipe out humans (and possibly most animals/plants).

I know cockroaches are cool and all, as contenders for inheriting the earth after us, but the little moss pig, also called a water bear (tartigrades) can resist almost everything (not really, but check them out, they are super-tough animals!)

Jacco

May 1, 2011
TheSYLOH said:
Also this is why we want to colonize another solar system, once a species spreads out over a few systems it's not vulnerable to alot of extinction events.
Only the Reapers are a threat at that point.

OT: Short of the physical destruction of the planet itself, nothing will ever get every human. It's just not possible.

LightningFast

Feb 6, 2013
DANGER- MUST SILENCE said:
Please write a book. Your mind is cooking up the next great dystopian classic as we speak.

OT: The only way I can think that humanity would be COMPLETELY wiped out is if we were actively trying to murder everyone. Global flooding, nuclear war and highly deadly and infectious disease are the closest things to species-killers I can think of for humans, and even then, I'm confident that we'll be able to live through it.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
Its not that hard really, it would only take a single asteroid to devastate the ecosystem that we depend upon for food, light and such. Our own sun could do the job to, a large enough solar ejection from the sun aimed in the direction of the Earth could irradiate us or boil off the atmosphere and/or water.

Either that or we will make the world uninhabitable ourselves with our excess consumption and pollution of Earth.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Angelous Wang said:
In order to kill the entire human race you simply have to remove all oxygen from the planet.

So you'd need something that would kill all the algae in sea (which is 80% of the worlds oxygen) and all surface plant life (which is other 20%).
Or the Space Balls way

Or the sun exploding and the earth getting turned to less than dust.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Hell, dinosaurs survived their extinction event in some capacity (flappy-tweet-tweet things), so we'll be here forever, too. And by forever, I mean our sun just up and quits. Maybe we'll evolve into dinosaurs. Highly unlikely, but there's a chance.

I don't believe countries will ever play hot potato with nukes on a large scale. We'll all amalgamate and become the United States of Pangea 2.0 before that.