What Final Fantasy Does the FF13 Director Want to Remake?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
What Final Fantasy Does the FF13 Director Want to Remake?

If Final Fantasy XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964269&sr=1-1] director Motomu Toriyama had his choice, guess what game in the Final Fantasy series he'd like to remake? Go on, guess.

The answer, of course, is Final Fantasy VII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-VII-Playstation/dp/B00000JRSB/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278964717&sr=1-1]: Bet you didn't see that one coming, suckas! Wait, what's that? You did see it coming? Oh, well... now I feel kinda silly.

This comes to us by way of Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/03/18/final-fantasy-xiii-director-answers-your-ffxiii-questions/], who pitched Toriyama-san some community questions in a recent interview. In addition to speaking about how he felt to see fans' reactions to the Western launch ("especially pleased with the public reaction in North America and Europe") and why the two worlds of Cocoon and Pulse had very different play styles ("the concept was to create two different gameplay experiences ... Cocoon was story driven and Gran Pulse was an open world"), Toriyama was asked about the possibility of other Final Fantasy remakes.

As a veteran designer of the Final Fantasy series, the question went, "Which [Final Fantasy] would you want to remake the most?" Laughing, Toriyama answered, "That would be Final Fantasy VII!" Of course, given how often he and his fellow FF13 boss Yoshinori Kitase put the kibosh [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98084-FF13-Producer-Explains-Why-FF7-Remake-is-Unlikely] on the idea, this statement didn't come without a qualifier - namely, time and money:

[blockquote]If we had the manpower and the time to work on a project, if we were to remake Final Fantasy VII with the quality of Final Fantasy XIII it would become a tremendous project. If we can get the number of people we need by all means that would be the one I would really want to remake.[/blockquote]

At this point, I'm kind of hoping that Squeenix just gives in and remakes Final Fantasy VII, but does it for a completely different platform than anyone ever expected, and one that few FFanboys own. Can you imagine FF7 being announced for, like, the iPhone? I can, and it's hilarious.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Remake 7, again?

Geez people. Remake something older...THE ORIGINAL.

REMAKE THE ORIGINAL! IN FULL 3D!

hexshadowman

Sep 18, 2008
As long as it's for 360, I'm happy.

EDIT: Onyx, they have, or at least given it a graphical update.

Dakeyras-Way

Aug 12, 2008
Although they say they want to I've heard for the last like 5 years that they are never going to... Every time someone asks for a remake they are told its not gonna happen...While yes it would be a hugely intensive project they dont have to worry about any kind of story related development its already there... and hell they have pretty much all of the basic artwork needed for reference material... So it would be intensive but far from impossible.... Probably be a lot cheaper than developing a new game as well....

Plus can you imagine the sales?... not only is EVERY single FFVII player ever going to buy it but there is going to be a huge amount who buy it just to see what all the fuss is about... If they are worried about possible sales they probably shouldnt... it would sell better than anything new they release...

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Remake 7, again?

REMAKE THE ORIGINAL!
They already have, but its for the PSP.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
I'd hate to see a remake of the FF7. We'd end up with whiny emo-***** Cloud, instead of confused badass.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
Well considering how much money they made on psn when they released ff7 standard they would make so much if they remade it.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sebenko said:
I'd hate to see a remake of the FF7. We'd end up with whiny emo-***** Cloud, instead of confused badass.
No, no, I'm pretty sure he was always whiny emo-***** Cloud ;D

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
I think I would be afraid to remake that Final Fantasy VII. It would be one of those games where if you just updated the graphics and left the rest of the game as it was you would end up with a bunch of people complaining that it is just the same old JRPG Junk. Where as if you changed any of the story or removed the smallest piece or changed the gameplay you would get millions of people complaining that you changed this and that.

I love VII but I would rather it just stay as a classic that is fun to go back and replay.

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
John Funk said:
Sebenko said:
No, no, I'm pretty sure he was always whiny emo-***** Cloud ;D
Hmm maybe I missed something in the story but I do not see cloud as whiny emo. His life pretty much is in the toilet. Yet he keeps on looking forward to find what happened who he was and how to stop worse things from happening. Instead of going all emo sitting in his room writing poetry and talking about killing himself.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, at least there is support from inside Enix.

I would love to see a remake...as I heard Kathleen DeVere once say "It would be a licence to print money!"

And its true. if it could be as pretty as XIII /drool

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Marik2 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Remake 7, again?

REMAKE THE ORIGINAL!
They already have, but its for the PSP.
No. I mean in 3D. Also...Your pic is wrong!
Alright fixed, but that was weird since I previewed it and it was the cover of the game.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I'm sorry, but I have to give the "deserves a remake" award to Final Fanatasy VI. A billion times simpler, and a billion times better, in my opinion. The characters all had distinct personalities and were all likeable, Kefka (while looking like a circus performer who raided the darkest corners of Liberache's wardrobe) is an incredibly competent bad guy, the story is awesome and...uh...well that's it. It's the total package.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Oh for gods' sake. STOPPIT! You're giving the rabid fan-crazies false hopes, and the rest of us a headache. The next (and currently only) thing I wanna hear from Squeenix is when they're getting their asses into gear and working on KH3.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
NOOO Keep your grubby "Straight lines for dungeons are awesome!" hands off FFVII. Don't turn it into the "try to please everyone and screw it all up" aberration that XIII turned out to be.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
IckleMissMayhem said:
Oh for gods' sake. STOPPIT! You're giving the rabid fan-crazies false hopes, and the rest of us a headache. The next (and currently only) thing I wanna hear from Squeenix is when they're getting their asses into gear and working on KH3.
Disney owns Marvel now...So, we could have Spiderman, Squall, and Mickey all in on game. If SE keeps the Disney partnership going.