What game/book/movie made you sleep with the lights on?

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
Dethenger said:
Wolfwind said:
When I was a kid in grade five or six, I recall reading a series of books called "Scary Stories to tell in the dark". I had a vivid imagination, so some of the stories did stick with me when I was laying in the dark at night waiting to fall asleep. However, it was the art in the book that legitimately made me keep the light on for a few nights before I could fall asleep. They were just etched into my mind for a while.

I dunno how scary people would find them nowadays, but if you type "Scary stories to tell in the dark" into google and go to the images, you get some samples. I could only really describe them as nightmarish.
I remember that book. I read the shit out of it as a kid, and while the stories were pretty creepy, I concur with everything you said about the pictures. Seriously. [http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ll1uxdyntH1qdk000o1_500.jpg]
What [http://i54.tinypic.com/2dilohu.jpg] the [http://blogs.davenportlibrary.com/kids/wp-content/scarystories2.jpg] hell. [http://www.retrojunk.com/img/art-images/thedream2.jpg]
I once had the worst nightmare of my life. It wasn't something jumping out screaming "RAWR!" (that would have been LESS horrible), but it absolutely terrifying in a subtle way. The pictures in that nightmare were very similar to the pics you linked to, and I had never seen them before the dream. However, in my dream they were drawn on old, orange-ish parchment paper and drawn with charcoal in a very ... VERY ... detailed fasion ... combined with that music ...

... Dear God ... D->

DocMcCray

Oct 14, 2010
I made the mistake of playing Resident Evil 2 at night, alone in a dark house. When I finally died and turned it off, I kept hearing the moaning and shuffling of zombies everywhere in the house.

Kept the lights on all night for that one.

IncredibleTurnip

Feb 27, 2011
Book: One of The Dragonriders of Pern books. I forget which. It wasn't scary, I just fell asleep while reading it.

Game: Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem was creepy as heck. Didn't make me sleep with the lights on. Did give me nightmares, though. I had one Resident Evil 4 nightmare after my first encounter with Doc Salvador, too.

Movie: The Exorcist was really disturbing to me.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Colour-Scientist said:
World War Z, last year. I slept with the light on for a week at the age of nineteen. I'm so cool.

I can't help it. I can cope with gore, aliens, psycho killers, vampires, monsters, etc... just not zombies. I can't cope with zombies, they scare the bejesus out of me. I couldn't even finish Half Life 2. Yeah, I said it.
I'm the exact same actually. Sometimes I'd be alright but then I actually have a crap tonne of nightmares involving zombies because of the amount of zombie media I take in, that even wake me up in the middle of the night and I would just lie there frozen in bed, afraid to move, lmao.

Actually OT: Diary of the Dead disturbed me after watching it I have to admit. In saying that though, I only started watching it half way through (It was on just the other week actually). I thought that the way it was filmed was very clever as it was done almost like a documentary. Putting myself in the film and [Spoiler Alert!] seeing them having to lock themselves in the panic room at the end. Before they even left the bus I thought, "I would have just stayed in there.. oh wait, maybe not).

Anyroad, in all fairness, if a zombie apocalypse did occur, I would probably just pop myself off faster than you could say the phrase. As much as I love them films.

x

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I used to lived near a Drive-In and I was pretty young when I saw The Exorcist. That affected me for months afterwards.

TheHappySquid

Feb 2, 2011
ChromaticWolfen said:
Mel Gibson "Signs" movie. Had to sleep for about a month with the lights on after that. I was 8.
Wow, haha, same. :p

I couldn't deal with aliens at all as a kid, I don't know why.
The worst one was Mr Burns as the alien in The Simpsons, that episode scared me so fucking much, and I went into seizures at the sound of the X-files music basically.

I'm over it in films and tv (still don't watch that episode to be safe), but I reckon if real aliens landed now I might possibly kill myself out of fear, even if they're peaceful :/

PleasantAsAHeadcrab

Jan 22, 2011
I was about 12 when I picked up Silent Hill 2. (Hooray, irresponsible parenting!)
A lot of the subtleties were lost on me, so I actually faired through it rather well though I thought P. Head was as scary as shit.
Then, I picked it up again when I turned 16, and had to keep pausing the game to catch my breath and remind myself that there weren't any monsters planning on gutting me.
Apparently, despite my pigtails I was a badass little girl.

Also for what it's worth, ever since I saw The Dark Knight I've had an intense hatred of clowns. And now I just saw Stephen King's "It".
...I don't think I did myself any favors.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
For games, the first survival horror I've ever played, Resident Evil 2. Those lickers were freakin' scary!, a few months later, I rented the first Resident Evil to see the roots of the franchise and those freakin' dogs scared the shit out of me, afterwards I was very afraid of walking near any window. A few years later, it was Nemesis from Resident Evil 3, a towering monster relentlessly chasing you can get you a bit nervous in that game, especially his "suspense" music theme. A few years later, it was the first Resident Evil again, but now in a different platform with better graphics and with more and scarier moments, gotta love/hate those freakin' Crimson Heads.

Damn, I miss shitting my pants with a Resident Evil game =(

Also, I can't get myself to finish either Penumbra and/or Amnesia. I hate being in first person perspective without a map (without pressing a button to see my arrow in a map) and having nothing to defend myself.

For books, I haven't read any that really gave me nightmares. Yet.

And for movies... not many. I'm a sucker for horror movies and I've watched more than I can recount, but not many scared me that much.
I easily jump with a "boo" scare, but I'm not having nightmares about it.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
fatal frame 2... worst part was i was playing with my then girlfriend, watching and i had to, like any real man would, display that i was not frightened by digital pixel ghosts.... or at least act like it.... i failed... badly the girlish squeals came from both of us as we played... or rather i played.

[rec] didnt scare me as much as startle me, brilliant film from the moment it gets going the suspense does not let up, and you are just waiting for the next heart attack inducing scene. and i consider myself a hardened veteran of horror movies, paranormal activity had me laughing half of the time, [rec] had me biting my knee caps.... go watch it you will understand

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
fatal2704 said:
For me, it was the ghost story "Oh whistle and ill come to you, my lad" by M.R. James. Look it up. It's incredibly atmospheric, and provides some really creepy descriptions.
JAWS 1, the scene where the corpse drifts into view through the hole in the bottom of a boat as the guy was pulling out a tooth from the hull.

EDIT: Just to set the scene, I was probably like 7 at the time, or maybe abit younger can't remember. Reguardless I had more than a few sleepless nights lol

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
I can't believe no one has said Marble Hornets yet.

No film or book has ever freaked the ever loving shit outta me.

In fact, I'm purposefully now going to NOT watch it.

ShaqLevick

Jul 14, 2009
The Ju-on, that ***** is real scary, not to mention seemingly omnipotent... Plus she doesn't play fair, I mean getting you under your blanket, Dirty pool that's a safe place.

Honestly I think the movie It scared me quite bad as a child for a few nights. In fact I didn't get past the first two hours, and when I finally decided to finish it at about 14 years of age I had plenty of sleepless nights afterwards. Because you see I am what they call an Arachnophobic individual, and there is nothing to fear except spiders themselves.

XDravond

Something something....
Mar 30, 2011
Gremlins (the movie) got me really frightened, but then again I was 8, probably also because I didn't watch the ending...

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

In all honesty as a child Arnold Schwarzenegger's naked butt scared me more than anything else in the world. I thought a naked Arnold was going to come in at any time and kill me.

Also Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Pretty scary movie. :3

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Misery by, Stephen King specifficly the scene at the end of the book where the protagonist gets home to his apartment and then SHE jumps out from behind the couch. *shudders*

BAM824

May 2, 2011
Kinda lame, but that episode of Boy Meets World where there's a serial killer running around the school, picking people off. What? I was five, and didn't get it was a joke.

Shakomaru

May 18, 2011
thebobmaster said:
The Doctor Who episode "Blink". If you have not seen it...for the love of God, listen to the people who say how scary it is, and don't watch it for the first time at 11 PM.
Those damn weeping angels. They scared everything out of me, and I was watching the Matt Smith one, not even Blink... OP, Pretty much every episode of Doctor Who scares me a little, Spirited Away scarred me for life, I couldn't even look at the special zombies from L4D, and walking around the insides of Aperture with all of Ratmann's creepy drawings terrified me so...

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
For some reason, WET gave me nightmares. Namely, one where a batshit insane alcoholic assassin was after me.

Ready2Go

Jun 7, 2010
actually it was jurassic park 1. I watched it when i was four and it scared the shit out of me. Not any more though.