What Game did you play long after it stopped being fun?

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
Just what the title says. What game(s) did you continue to sink large amounts of gaming time into after they had stopped being fun? Why? Social connections in multiplayer? Addictive gameplay(MUST FILL UP PROGRESS BARS!)? Achievements/Trophies? What made you finally stop playing(if ever)?

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Nothing really.
When I stop having fun(even for just the individual play session), I quit.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
World of Warcraft.

played that game for years after it stopped being fun, was mostly in it to socialize with the friends i made in game. Plus the raiding guild i was in kinda needed me, so i would feel bad about leaving.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
La Noir, it stopped being fun after the homicide bit of the game. Actually it stopped being fun before that when the game decided to ask you to play a guessing game as to where you were supposed to go next when you hadn't been there because you hadn't had to.

Everything after that was dull, the end bit was dumb, the guy basically goes, "Hmmmm, me using this gun is far too easy, I'll use this flamethrower from now on" just to add artificial difficulty to the end of the game. I basically played to the end because I could, I just wish I'd stopped after homicide.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
I played the shit out of Red Dead Redemption, to the point that I could recite half the dialogue while doing the missions.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
Probably Dragon Age: Origins - somewhere around the 50-hour mark I just hit the wall with it, it started to feel like a major grind but I pushed through to the end.

That's rare, actually. Usually if I find myself not having fun with a game (like, say, The Witcher or Torchlight or STALKER) I just uninstall it and move on. I guess with Dragon Age there was just enough going on to make me want to see how it all ended.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
I played Unreal Tournament 99 well after its popularity evaporated. I still play from time to time. That game is just so damn good.

GlorySeeker

Oct 6, 2010
Ryotknife said:
World of Warcraft.

played that game for years after it stopped being fun, was mostly in it to socialize with the friends i made in game. Plus the raiding guild i was in kinda needed me, so i would feel bad about leaving.
Same for me. I miss the game sometimes, but it loses its luster quickly. Though, being the GM, kept me in for quite a long while, and I met quite a few cool people.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Prisoner of War and Far Cry 2.

POW because it's the only 3D game I know of to feature Colditz Castle, so I suffer the below average game in order to experience the Colditz bits.

FC2 because those respawning checkpoints make any long distance trip (which almost everything is) a chore. I persevere because combat is often compelling, and I'm hanging out for enemies in grenade launcher equipped jeeps, which I hear is quite a sight to behold.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Squilookle said:
Prisoner of War.

POW because it's the only 3D game I know of to feature Colditz Castle, so I suffer the below average game in order to experience the Colditz bits.
I re-bought that the other day, no idea why.

Something about the moving mouths and COMPLETELY STILL eyes and face is really jarring.

OT: Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.

Since I'm waiting to start a job, I've decided to play through AssCreed Brotherhood and Revelations before 3 comes out.

Maybe it's because I've rushed through it, but something about Brotherhood just seemed so...stodgy, like eating an entire loaf of bread, but I completely ground through it, even completed all the thief/mercenary/courtesan assignments to view all the memories of Cristina Vespucci; there's just so many little tweaks that could have improved it, make the platforming more than RT + A and move forward, take away that stupid, stupid killstreak thingy, make notoriety harder to get rid of, it was all just so unchallenging and badly paced and...well it's just a shame, really, glad I wasn't into Assassin's Creed earlier and got it on release, I would have been so much more let down.

I'm enjoying Revelations a lot more, although it's consistently reviewed to be the poorer game. Strange...

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Platinum-ing Skyrim killed my interest in that game for a LONG time, though not permanently.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
World of Warcraft. I never even got near the level cap, I think my highest level character is stilll languishing on like level 48 or so. It just got really boring and grindy (even more grindy than before) but I carried on for a while, I wanted to get to the end game, the social part of dungeons always appealed to me. But I never got there, and eventually let my subscription lapse.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
WoW. kinda an obvious one really. i enjoyed it for a while because i was raiding constantly, but then had to step down from my raiding position in the guild and then cata came out. i bought cata but, just couldn't recapture the magic.

Fallout 3. i tried to get the platinum trophy, and that includes getting all bobbleheads. a good idea in theory, but then i realised i missed the one in raven rock. this was after collecting all of the other ones. so had to replay the game and find them all again.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Probably LoL. I spent the month before I quit complaining about every month, but I guess I still played because my friends would. But yeah, stopped being fun a loooooooong time ago.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Farmvile, I am so ashamed I even started! I quite ages ago. Still makes me sad I started.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Far Cry 2, because "Fuck you, game, you will not beat me!"
But seriously those driving distances were anoying as hell.