What game do you want remade for Better Gameplay?

Flammablezeus

Dec 19, 2013
Payday 2. The concept is fantastic. Grouping up with people to plan and pull off a heist? That sold me on the game. Unfortunately the actual gameplay feels very placeholder. It seems like a game that was abandoned very early in development. At first I thought it might just be me, so I looked up videos of people playing and only saw people struggling with incomplete/missing gameplay elements. You shout at people to get down and they get up seconds later and try to run off, just as a small example. You can't line people up against the wall, you can't bribe people that work at the place you're robbing, you can't tie people up. It's been a long time so I can't remember what else was missing. The GTA V heists look a lot better, even though they're only a minigame in a much bigger game. If it weren't for the horrible GTA V netcode, I'd be satisfied with that instead.

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Aye. And the other big problem with magic (and level 2/3 techs, which are treated as magic spells by the game) in SD3 is that later in the game, several enemies automatically (and instantly) retaliate against magic/techs that don't kill them with their own techs/magic.

Which not only breaks the pace further, but actively punishes the player for using their characters abilities.

One would suspect that it encourages the player to be more judicious with their nukes, but in practice it just necessitates a quick trip to the AI behavior screen to mandate only level 1 techs (which all have higher DPS on average anyway), and to save magic nukes for bosses (or buffing)...unless you want to cheese the game with Silence effects, if your party has access to them.

Basically, if you don't want SD3 to degenerate into a lethal special effects sideshow (well, maybe once since SD3 is one of if not THE best looking game on the SNES), you're best off avoiding using offensive magic and techs entirely.
I will say yes and no to this.

On one hand, certain enemies were definitely a bit far up crazy street (the worst one would be the shapeshifter variation that would copy a party member and proceed to spam their spam nukes, encountered in the final level) which gave risk/reward a really wonky skew.

But on the other hand, a lot of those enemies can be mitigated with stat ups/downs as long as you are willing to do a bit of micromanaging (though it must be said that this is one of the places where the issues with the casting pause come to the fore). Then you have those scenarios where Hawk´s Wanderer class almost invalidates certain enemies & bosses like Darkshine Knight and Koren.

Darkshine Knight does pretty much force you to set to LVL 1 Techs though, for sure.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
I will say yes and no to this.

On one hand, certain enemies were definitely a bit far up crazy street (the worst one would be the shapeshifter variation that would copy a party member and proceed to spam their spam nukes, encountered in the final level) which gave risk/reward a really wonky skew.
Any enemy that is an equivalent 2nd or 3rd player class analog (like Queen Bees who imitate Reis' light classes, or the upper tier werewolves imitate Kevin's dark classes, assassins/rogues dark Hawk's, and fallen knights Dark Duran's) has that class's level 2 or 3 tech as a regular and retaliation tech.

If you're under-leveled (which is likely; especially if you're me during the Godbeast hunts since I hate grinding for money/levels), a single mis-timed spell/tech can lead to a party wipe on the spot.

In the many, many playthroughs I've done of SD3, counter-techs are the cause of over 90% of my game overs.

But on the other hand, a lot of those enemies can be mitigated with stat ups/downs as long as you are willing to do a bit of micromanaging (though it must be said that this is one of the places where the issues with the casting pause come to the fore). Then you have those scenarios where Hawk´s Wanderer class almost invalidates certain enemies & bosses like Darkshine Knight and Koren.
There's a lot of enemies that are trivialized with debuffs, as long as your party composition and levels allow it.
(or if you farm a ton of stat-down casting items; one of Carlie's 2nd class proofs casts Black Curse, "The Every-Stat Down", but I don't recall the name immediately)

Hawk is especially powerful for that reason, since 3 of his four end classes all feature some skill(s) of cheesing the hell out of the game.

Dark Hawk, Light Reis, and Kevin (any flavor, really) remains my go-to easy-mode team. Early game is a little rough (Golems, Gorva and the Ninja Twins are super annoying, with the latter being a bit dangerous, but after that it's easy street)

Darkshine Knight does pretty much force you to set to LVL 1 Techs though, for sure.
Ol' Darkshine Vader is a special little snowflake who hates everything but normal attacks and level 1 techs.
DSK is immune to Silence, and you can't reflect techs, so that leaves stat-downs.

(I haven't Black Cursed DSK in a while, so I don't recall if it actually cripples him much; I just remember the last time I Power-Downed him, his counter-attacks were still WAY STRONGER than they're supposed to be and nearly killed my party. Though again, I might have been under-leveled since I hate grinding)

Koren on the other hand doesn't retaliate with Techs but actual magic; so he's quite susceptible to the Counter-Magic buff from Wanderer or its item equivalent in Matango Oil; turning his fight into a comedic special effects show where he repeatedly ***** slaps himself in the face with his own magic until he dies.

(the only funnier death is using Anti-Magic on Black Rabite, who kill ITSELF trying to heal via mass-chained Dark Force)

I think Bigieu in Hawk/Reis's path has a similar fight, only she has some "magic" that ISN'T technically "magic" since it's not reflectable.

...Come to think of it, SD3's magic system just isn't well balanced at all.
Kinda why it and SoM deserves a remake overhaul in that regard.

If I were to fix the magic in those kinds of games, I'd probably go to a targeted spell system where the player chooses some spells from the regular menu, slaps it on their hotkeys (d-pad or whatever on a controller) and when they select the spell they go into a casting mode.

While casting, they use a reticule to aim and can still move around, but they have to be careful because as they take other actions while casting the spell, it casts more slowly. If they move around, attack or get hit too much while casting the spell fails entirely.

That way, they aren't stopping the action every 5 seconds to open a menu and freeze the action.
(only major spells should "stop the action" for effect)

Thinking further, I could make it so certain weapons behave differently while certain spells are equipped...hmm.
Things to ponder.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
[Kira Must Die said:
]I'd like to see Rule of Rose get remade, but rather with "no gameplay."
Seconded. There were so many things that were right in regards to creativity and atmosphere, but the combat had to go and throw a crusty wrench into the lot of it.

If there ever is a remake/re-release it'd be nice to see some kind of "Ridiculously Easy" mode added in at the very least. Just someway to side-step the action segments...

Hjalmar Fryklund

May 22, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Any enemy that is an equivalent 2nd or 3rd player class analog (like Queen Bees who imitate Reis' light classes, or the upper tier werewolves imitate Kevin's dark classes, assassins/rogues dark Hawk's, and fallen knights Dark Duran's) has that class's level 2 or 3 tech as a regular and retaliation tech.

If you're under-leveled (which is likely; especially if you're me during the Godbeast hunts since I hate grinding for money/levels), a single mis-timed spell/tech can lead to a party wipe on the spot.

In the many, many playthroughs I've done of SD3, counter-techs are the cause of over 90% of my game overs.
Oh good grief, the damn bees. Most of the others can be mitigated to the point where you do not really have to worry about them counter-teching you, but bees are really, really hard to put a lid on. Even when you grind out levels and reclass early.

I think our perspectives differ slightly here because I have a higher tolerance for grind. I would usually reclass after killing the third/fourth God-Beast and go ham. Nevertheless, I will say that the grinding is not that interesting or fun in general. The leveling system was rather blah.

There's a lot of enemies that are trivialized with debuffs, as long as your party composition and levels allow it.
(or if you farm a ton of stat-down casting items; one of Carlie's 2nd class proofs casts Black Curse, "The Every-Stat Down", but I don't recall the name immediately)
That would be the Necromancer, I believe. Though I admit I have about zero dark Carlie experience.

Dark Hawk, Light Reis, and Kevin (any flavor, really) remains my go-to easy-mode team. Early game is a little rough (Golems, Gorva and the Ninja Twins are super annoying, with the latter being a bit dangerous, but after that it's easy street)
The twins are pretty much always dangerous, really. Especially so when using low vitality teams. Angela and Carlie repeatedly risk getting one-shotted, unless you grind levels. Especially Angela, who is basically forced to shut down herself if she is not properly leveled.

Koren on the other hand doesn't retaliate with Techs but actual magic; so he's quite susceptible to the Counter-Magic buff from Wanderer or its item equivalent in Matango Oil; turning his fight into a comedic special effects show where he repeatedly ***** slaps himself in the face with his own magic until he dies.
Oh yeah, that was really fun to do. Only thing that does not get countered is the Meteor, but since that is also the only thing you have to worry about (and even then, just barely if you have resist buffs), it is really easy to plan for it.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
I personally loved Mass effect 1 and can still play that and enjoy it no probs. However I think ME2 was far worse, it felt far more unbalanced, and just didn't feel well playing wise.

Morrowind deserves the attention. It's such a SUPERB RPG, which just needs some decent combat mechanics to make it timeless.

KOTOR is a great shout too.

I think there's actually loads of games out there which deserve a remake. Hopefully, if it's not to hard to achieve, we'll get them.

Arean

Windwalker of Shaundakul
Apr 24, 2008
On the one side, I would love to see Final Fantasy VIII with a better RPG-system, without the really strange mechanics like Drawing spells and enemies leveling with you. On the other hand, considering everything we know about the remake of FF VII so far, I don't trust Square Enix to not fuck it up, so I guess I'm kinda ambivalent about the whole thing.

Much the same can be said for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Having been completely in love with the universe since Dragon Age: Origins, the declining quality of the series bothers me greatly.

WoJ

Sep 7, 2015
undeadsuitor said:
Mass Effect 1 and 2. 1 for obvious reasons, 2 was close, but 3 really but a shine to it and hammered out all the clunky limitations that ME2 carried with it.
Yup. ME1 is still playable to me, but it becomes a bit harder every time I go back through it. With ME3's gameplay it would be amazing.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Kid Icarus. I wanted to love that game. I really REALLY did. But holy fucking shit the risk of Carpal Tunnel just from extended periods of play with that game was un fucking real.

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
Hjalmar Fryklund said:
As much as I enjoyed SD3, the magic casting did break the pacing really hard. Both the spell selection and the casting pausing the game every time made for an awkward flow.

That being said, there were definitely a good few spells which needed the pause (the nukes come to mind).
This. SD3 has great feel and a large world, but the combat is absolute shit (still better than most JRPG's, though). I say remake it with better, deeper and more flowing combat, more varied equipment choices, more character developement in the second half and a even larger, deeper world.

Also, Quarantine. It was a Dystopian-Punk-Cab-Driver sim thing, where you played as a cabbie in a city overrun by homicidal maniacs. You had all the duties of a regular cab driver (along some assasinations and bombing missions), which were enhanced by having a bunch of psycopaths to run over. It did suffer severely from repetitve gameplay, assholish design decisions (such as having to redo 2 standard ferry missions if you failed a story one), a map that didn't show you exactly where to go (which is crucial in order to complete missions, since they're all on a timer), none of these were helped by the fact that you drived a hovercar, which meant that your car handled like a air hockey puck.

Fix all of those, get the rights to have Misfits, Ramones and Sex Pistols music in the game and done. You'd have the ultimate punk experience.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'd like to see a Dark Cloud remake/compilation that fixes a lot of stuff. The weapon breaking system, weapon element, and item management from DC2/Chronicle would be nice. (Rubie alone would like being able to attack some things that no sell elemental weapons.) The back floor key for the final dungeon was missing in the North American release, so less chances were in that version for getting goodies. Duel wielding for at least a few characters would be sweet. The thirst meter needs to go. Some character need tweaking to make them equal with the "higher tiers." The fishing game should be mostly untouched (except maybe more areas to fish and more chances at getting the two legendary fish). The translation could also use a touch up. (The R/L switching is strong in this game.)

Dark Chronicle could also benefit from some changes. The Ridepod needs some better late game equipment. Switching between characters with the thumbstick buttons could be made faster. (DC1 had the advantage where pressing select gave you a quick change wheel.) The monster transformation is pointless (beyond the early mandatory quest and the optional medals) and takes forever to level up each monster line to really weak max stats. (I think also Max can control the ridepod even if he is at 0 HP, where both of Monica's forms are down for the count, whether she was a monster or not when she hit's 0 HP.) It needs major improvements or Monica needs a better alt-mode. A sequel would be nice, too.
WeepingAngels said:
Final Fantasy IX.

Speed it the fuck up. Nothing else needs to change but my god does the game run slow, too slow for it's time and way too slow for now.
In addition to that, I'd also like some more quick changes for the better.

The Trance system was horrible. Other FFs let you save a Limit Break for the right time (at the cost of not having the attack command in VII and VIII), some even for another battle. IX had its meters drain to 0 if your character hit Trance in a battle and the battle ended before your could use it up. It had the problem of wasting a trance attack if the gauge filled and your character had an action already queued, like in the original FF where someone could waste their turn on an already defeated enemy. Many quick changes could be done here.

It doesn't bother me as much, but the encounter rate gets a lot of flak from many people.

Some of the sidequests required backtracking at the perfect time to progress. Maybe they should lighten up on them a little. (Also, the already hard 12 hour speedrun to get the best sword is near-impossible with the 50Hz EU version.)
[small]Also; Holy late quote, Batman![/small]