What game has kept you up the longest?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Persona 4, which had me going for a 10 hour session.

That game is such a tease, luring me in with new personas, abilities and social links.

I think I finished it in about 2 weeks or so, which is insanely quick for me because most western RPGs(20 hours) take me about the same.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'll try to list those I can remember, since one of my favorite genres is 4X.
Otherwise known as "just one more turn" games. ,)

Master of Orion II & III
Distant Worlds Series
Sword of the Stars I complete
Civ II,III,IV
GalCiv I & II
Imperium Galactica II
Space Empires IV

I've lost many a night (and day) to those games.
Add in a dash of The Settlers (I&II), the Anno series (mostly 1404), Europa Universalis (II & III) and Diablo I & II.
and some I've most certainly forgotten..
oh, yeah. Startopia, duh.

I have always found it easier to stay awake than trying to go to sleep though the game I've played the most in one sitting was actually the first Dungeon Siege.
It was back when LAN parties where still a thing.
I sat from (approximately) 08:00 the first day till 20:00 the next evening.

I was a tad fuzzy on such concepts as time and space right after that sitting.

seaweed

May 19, 2014
I used to do all nighters all the time when I got a new game, but now I never do now that I've gotten older. It's too hard to recover from now.

Dark Souls was the one exception to that recently, I used to do all day and all night sessions with that game.

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
For me it has to be Grandia. From 9am to 5am. I ended up playing 54 hours over 3 days during my summer vacation. I love this game much.

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Mount & Blade (When i started it i played the demo through the night - bought the Beta - resumed playing)
FTL and Crusader Kings II kept me awake a little too long as well.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
GonzoGamer said:
I find it happens less on the console because I have the cable box right there in my peripheral vision. Gaming on the pc, I don't see a clock so yes, if I get into some compound I'm building in sims, I can be there for hours.
That's one of the main reasons I usually block any clocks and any other sort of light that I can whenever I play games, the other being that it's just distracting, and for the same reasons I usually play in the dark. If I notice a light out of the corner of my eye it will bug me for ages until I do something about it.
lol. Wait till you have kids, you'll turn the volume down and any other noise as well. Gaming will be an exercise in sensory deprivation for you.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Skyrim. I played it almost non-stop on release. That's pretty much it. I can't marathon game anymore. I just fall asleep. At most I can play 2 hours before I feel I need a break.

VS60

Feb 22, 2010
Probably demon's souls started a 3pm finished at 2am not as long as what some of you guys have done but it is my best plus I was fourteen at the time so had alot more time up my sleeve

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
Not as long as some folks, but WoW and City of Villians both had me up for looooong stretches.
Mostly because I work nights, so I'm far more likely to play longer since I am limited on what I can do over night that won't wake the household.

I remember marathoning FFVII with a friend when it it came out, we were easilly up for a couple of days because we were taking the time to do stupid stuff like getting the black chocobo. Lol

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
I can go through the same list as most of you: Skyrim gets gold for clocking in almost 20 hours straight, Sims 3 gets silver for 16 hours (remodeling a big house is hell) and Fallout 3 gets bronze for 10 hours.

--

Special mentions go to Civ5 and the BitTrip Runner games.

First time that I played Civ 5, it was a full 8 hour experience. After understanding just how addictive that game can be, I decided to play in timed sessions to avoid getting stuck in those long sessions. Still do it every now and then but nothing like that one first time.

And BitTrip didn't get so many hours, but I did play it for a long period late at night and I recall hearing the music of that game in my sleep.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Suikoden; started playing one afternoon, next thing I know my flat mates are knocking on my door having just come back in from a night of drinking at 3am in the morning. Crivens.

rocketdive2001

Jan 2, 2008
2 guilty sessions ... nothing ever topped these:

Playing Simcity 2000 kept me up from 8pm to 5am in one seating
Playing Daggerfall once from 10am to 7pm (before my folks came back and realize i have not eaten for the day)

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
GonzoGamer said:
lol. Wait till you have kids, you'll turn the volume down and any other noise as well. Gaming will be an exercise in sensory deprivation for you.
I just use noise cancelling headphones whenever I'm gaming, which is every free moment I have. Good thing I don't plan on having kids, ever, though I'm more than willing to have my cats bother me.

I'm a GAMER baby!

DeadProxy

Sep 15, 2010
The only time that stands out in my mind that comes close to this subject is when I played Tales of Symphonia for the first time on the gamecube. I was around 13 at the time, and was renting it from the Roger's Video when they still did that sort of thing, so I only had access to the game for a short amount of time. 5 days to be exact. And I played the shit out of that game because I wanted to beat it before I had to return it. I ended up beating it the day before I had to return it, after spending 8-11 hours each day playing it and making progress, while going through all the sidequests I could find (never knew about the dark weapons...makes me sad) and clocking in somewhere close to 50 hours on my save file. Felt pretty satisfied.

Other than that, I don't have incredibly long gaming times, but I would play games 4 or 5 hours out of most days as a kid, either at home or in a friends garage playing classic Halo all afternoon, and fighting over who got the gimpy controller.

Oh, well, there was Guitar Hero. That certainly ate up most of my afterschool/free time when it first came out too. I remember the very first day I played it, I went for about 7 or 8 hours and worked my way up to hard and started trying to do that with 3 fingers, cause that game is not friendly to the pinky.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
immortalfrieza said:
GonzoGamer said:
I just use noise cancelling headphones whenever I'm gaming, which is every free moment I have. Good thing I don't plan on having kids, ever, though I'm more than willing to have my cats bother me.

I'm a GAMER baby!
Yea, I remember when I planned on never having kids.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
GonzoGamer said:
Yea, I remember when I planned on never having kids.
Well, if you really knew me you'd know that if nothing else, I stick to my decisions. If I decide I'm not having kids, it would take one HELL of a woman to change my mind, and I probably wouldn't get into a relationship with a woman who wanted kids anyway.

Anyway, for me my cats and my video games come first, and in that order. Anything that threatens to deprive me of either of these is out the window from the outset.

Curtisin

Mar 1, 2011
47 hours with half an hour sleep. Civilization II... Many years ago and I would happily do it again, if the PCs were as slow as back then, so that I had time to read in between turns. :p

Twinrehz

May 19, 2014
Country
Norge
This thread brings me back to an idea about a thread I had, about whether I've become a "responsible adult" or not. I can't play games for long stretches of time any more, even if I do have the time for it. I get distracted by thoughts about stuff I have to do, or that I want to do something else, which annoys me because I'm trying to get immersed in a game. I tend to overthink things as well.

I even feel like I'm letting the other games in my backlog down when I'm trying to finish one game in order to begin with another one from my backlog...

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
I don't normally do marathons. The only time I've stayed up to play a videogame was when I was about 12 and had a friend over for the night. We played Pokemon all night long. Next day my parents dragged me to church and I fell asleep while being talked to. Just keeled over on my chair.
I don't know if they count as marathons as such but when a new pokemon game comes out I just keep my DS on and play it when I have a spare moment, often while doing something else. As for actual marathons recently? The only one that comes to mind is when I finished Persona 3, I played through the entire last month in a single sitting, including grinding in the optional dungeon to reach level 90 and fuse Messiah. Took 5-6 hours, but it was during the afternoon so I wasn't missing sleep or anything.