What game made you fall in love with gaming?

death525

Aug 29, 2009
I'm gonna make an ass of myself and make an assumption about most of the people here. You love gaming. Now, I want to know what game made you fall in love with this medium? This does not necessarily have to be your favorite game (but I am sure there will be some overlap) just the game that made you say, "I want this to be one of my favorite things in life."

Mine would probably be the first Kingdom Hearts game. This game was not only my first foray into RPGs (one of my favorite genres now), but it was also my first foray into games from Japan. I think it was probably the recognizable Disney characters that helped ease me into it, but also the more action oriented combat. Also, the music. It is so good I do not even know how to describe it, so now I will go and describe it. It is like listening to angels sing in order to hype you up for battle against the dark hordes. All of this added together made one of the most superb gaming experiences of all time, and this is the game that made me say gaming is important to me.

Anyway, so what is your game that made you fall in love with this medium?

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Super Mario 64 was the original game that sold me on gaming. I just had a lot of fun with it.

Then Call of Duty and Battlefield 1942 really got me interested in multiplayer. Again, it mostly was just the fun and adrenaline that games could offer. I hadn't experienced anything quite like them in other mediums.

But I would probably say that BioShock is the one that got me to love gaming as much as I do now. The game really got me thinking about storytelling potential in games both from a narrative and gameplay standpoint, and thinking about games in that way regardless of the narrative-to-gameplay ratio has ultimately helped me appreciate games more. It also sort of jumpstarted my love of going back to replay older games to look at them in that manner. And contrary to what I feared, I actually didn't come to despise most of those games. I just had a better understanding of why I loved them in the first place.

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
I would have to say Jak II. The second game with its open world, great storyline, cool technology and levels and so on made me love gaming. I hope to see what gaming will be like in the future to come.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
Either Super Mario 64, or runescape. SM64 was the first game I really loved, and Runescape was the first game I played for several hours on end back then if I had the chance. Though it could even be Ragnarok Online, the game I consider to be my first 'true' mmorpg, having almost immediately dropped Runescape for it when I could afford the subscription.

death525

Aug 29, 2009
MarsAtlas said:
You know what? I don't know. As far back as I can remember, I played games. The first game I remember playing was the Atari game Tempest on my father's computer, before I was even two years old. I guess I've just always loved games. I literally have no perception of my life without them.
That's actually pretty fantastic. I've been gaming since before I can really remember too, but it was on a hand-me-down Sega Genesis. According to my parents my first game was Sonic 2, and I would have put that game as my answer except Sonic games almost made me fall out of love with gaming with the later installments.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010

That game right there. I didn't get to drive when I was young, in fact I still don't have my license, but that game let me drive for 25 cents. And it let me drive fast. After that I discovered games like Raiden and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

Yep, I'm a driving gamer. Probably rare on this site, but whatever.

dragonet111

Nov 12, 2013
I guess it is my 1st game Duck Tales for the NES, then a few times later I got a SNES got game like Zelda, Secret of Mana and some other JRPGs. this mark the start of my Rpg addiction.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Probably Super Mario World on the SNES, or the Donkey Kong Country Trilogy. Something about how there was an actual world with hidden secrets to find and hidden areas to explore to and a percentage to fill to completion, rather than finish one level after another as fast as possible.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
I've played Megaman 2 and Super Mario, but I was too young to appreciate it. When I saw a friend of mine play Pokemon however, I saved up money for well over a year and bought a gameboy with pokemon blue, my little brother buying pokemon red. God, those were the days.....

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
I had been gaming for a few years (Since my family got an Atari 2600 in the early 80's) and I did enjoy gaming, but it wasn't until I played Ultima IV on the Commodore 64 that I decided that video games were probably the best thing ever invented ;) Games have only gotten better since then of course, but that was the first one that made me go "WOW!"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bioshock

then Bioshock infinite sealed the deal

unfortunately those seem to be once in a generation type deals

FunGuy155

Apr 29, 2011
It was Halo 2-3 for me. It was what sucked me into gaming. I wanted more from the story, more things to be done with the gameplay and so much for the series. It was what got me into thinking what else can be done with story in video games. Then my friend traded Orange Box for Brutal Legend for a bit and I fell in love with Portal and Half Life. The rest is history I don't remember.

WonkyWarmaiden

Jun 15, 2010
Harvest Moon 64 is really what got me into gaming when I was a kid, Tekken 2 made me realize how much I enjoy fighting games and Oblivion made me love the open world type game.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
That's a vivid memory for me. It was Star Wars. The old vector graphics Star Wars coin-op sit down cabinet. This was a long time ago. The cabinet in question had ashtrays on it. This was at a mall arcade. With the Journey blasting, and the smoke creating a haze reflecting the cheap "lazer" flash lighting effects not quite flashing in time with the Journey or Survivor, the loud booms and tones recreating John Williams score are still audible over the rest of blonks and dings of the other games. It's the sit down cabinet, with speakers inside drowning out the din outside and recreating what (in the mind of a 9 year old) it must have been like to grasp the controls of an Xwing racing across the surface of the Death Star. I'm a moderately successful and happy adult these days, but I can't remember ever being happier than I was in that smoke-filled room. Watching lines on a screen and sitting on a plywood bench.

Sassafrass

This is a placeholder
Legacy
Aug 24, 2009
Country
United Kingdom
Racecarlock said:

That game right there. I didn't get to drive when I was young, in fact I still don't have my license, but that game let me drive for 25 cents. And it let me drive fast. After that I discovered games like Raiden and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

Yep, I'm a driving gamer. Probably rare on this site, but whatever.
Chalk up Cruis'n USA for me to, except I had it on the N64. That, Banjo-Kazooie and Fifa 64 kept me occupied for ages when I was a young'un. Then Tomb Raider and FF VII hooked me and the rest is history.

Happy, video game filled history.

Feb 4, 2014
Pokemon Blue because it's pokemon duh :D it was lots of fun even though i could'nt read or understand English :p (I was around 6 at the time)

Final Fantasy VIII
The Intro with Liberi Fatali blew my 6-8 year old mind. I still couldn't understand English but it had swords, magic, summons, Giant T-rexes and a freaking train mission :D
Also the music was, and still is, awesome. The final boss of disk 1 with 'premonition' as the soundtrack==> so much awesomeness T_T

ahh FFVIII, the fond memories i have

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I've been gaming since before I could remember, my earliest memory being playing some (probably) crappy Wacky Races game on my Dad's PC.

There have been many significant games which changed the way I approach games, the most recent of which being The Last of Us which made me think more about the little details in world building that games could do (to a similar extent, Remember Me made me think this as well).