What game made you fall in love with gaming?

giles

Feb 1, 2009
LongAndShort said:
Age of Empires II.

I'd owned and played a few games before AoE 2, but it was the first game that really drew me in, kept me invested. Jeez, I must have played the William Wallace and Barbarossa campaigns a dozen times.
Hell yeah!
I played some NES/SNES and stuff, but AoE2 is the first game I remember obsessing over. Then came Diablo 2 and sealed the deal.

smokingplane

Dec 26, 2011
MarsAtlas said:
You know what? I don't know. As far back as I can remember, I played games. The first game I remember playing was the Atari game Tempest on my father's computer, before I was even two years old. I guess I've just always loved games. I literally have no perception of my life without them.
More or less the same for me, the first game I really remember playing until the tape wore out was elite on a c64, but whe had an atiri console before that.
My kid has been nuts about minecraft since he was 2, I'll make him write it down for future reference as soon as he can write, but I think he'll remember.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
You know what? I don't know. As far back as I can remember, I played games. The first game I remember playing was the Atari game Tempest on my father's computer, before I was even two years old. I guess I've just always loved games. I literally have no perception of my life without them.
I actually have to agree with this statement. I fully don't know or remember what game actually hooked me on gaming. I know the person who made me fall in love with games, but I don't remember which game made me say, "This is for me". I mean, there's GTA, Tony Hawk's, Gex Geco, Pokemon, Tekken, Mortal Kombat, NBA, Age of Empires etc. but not one of em' could I narrow down to the game that made me want to continue investing time into.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
I've been gaming for as long as I can remember. Before I got my first console both of my cousins had their own consoles, and there was a local movie rental shop that let you rent an N64 with games, along with a Kroger that had a kids area that had a SNES with Super Mario World. However, the games that really stuck out and were what brought me in to it all was the first Spyro games, the second and third Crash Bandicoot, Mario 64, and the Spiderman games for the PS1. I played other ones too, but those are the games that really stuck out to me and really got me to love gaming and just stick to me today. I love gaming because of those games, and I mostly attribute it to Spyro and Crash, so good on you Cerny, you're the reason I do basically anything anymore, because my entire life is based around gaming. Thanks.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Been gaming for 30 years since Atari, but the game that made me love gaming was Chaos on the Spectrum and Creatures on C64. Oh and Dizzy.

Why cant companies release these game online for consoles or through Steam or whatever?

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I wouldn't say it was one game and one game only that made me fall head over heels for the medium. It was just a slow gradual process for me. Video games were just another thing that fed my imagination and I wanted more. It started with Donkey Kong. Continued with Zelda A Link To The Past and Mega Man to Resident Evil to Spyro the Dragon and then to Mortal Kombat and finally there was Mass Effect. Those are the note worthy games that I would say kept me hooked.

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
A whole bunch of PC games like Warcraft 2, Age of Empires, Hyperblade (will be amazed if anyone knows this). I had an Atari before, but I never really enjoyed playing it all that much, it was quite boring, but it was these PC games that really drew me into gaming.

The next would be Halo:Combat Evolved. It made me buy my first real console (apart from the shitty Atari) and it was one of the best games I have ever played. It still holds up today in many respects and is still the best Halo game in my opinion.

Then finally I would have to say Dark Souls, a game I never thought I could like. I bought it based entirely on a few stories I read on another forum, when someone said it was the most difficult game of all time (an obvious exaggeration), I said to myself, I have to own the most difficult game of all time. This game is an utter master piece, I did not realize it my first time playing through, but subsequent playthrough's have opened my eyes. It is the GOAT in my opinion.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Prepare Your Keyhole said:
Pokemon Blue because it's pokemon duh :D it was lots of fun even though i could'nt read or understand English :p (I was around 6 at the time)

Final Fantasy VIII
The Intro with Liberi Fatali blew my 6-8 year old mind. I still couldn't understand English but it had swords, magic, summons, Giant T-rexes and a freaking train mission :D
Also the music was, and still is, awesome. The final boss of disk 1 with 'premonition' as the soundtrack==> so much awesomeness T_T

ahh FFVIII, the fond memories i have
I have to agree on FFVIII. That moment where you come out of the infirmary and the camera sweeps out over Balamb garden took my breath away. Then again with the landing at Dollet. Now as a guy in my mid 20s I can see the game's flaws but as an 8 or 9 year old kid I loved every second of it.

Pikey Mikey

Aug 24, 2010
Being taught to roll up a Fighter/Ranger/Paladin-character in Baldur's Gate by my (older) brother, and how to play the game of course, when I was...maybe 4-5 (I am also Swedish, and as such, did not understand much of the dialogue. But that game probably taught me more English than Primary/Elementary and Secondary School did). He also taught me that Constitution meant HP, Dexterity meant higher AC, AC was basically armor, low AC was better than high and that you should ALWAYS roll until you get 18/00 Str =P (that may just have been my stubbornness, since it was the best Strength-score I WAS going to get it, sometimes spending 30 minutes just on re-rolling the stats xD). (I still do that by the way)

...Good times : )

Edit: We also had the original, hardcore package for it, with 5 discs you had to switch between constantly :p

Nanondorf

May 6, 2014
Tekken 3 on the arcade. Mashing buttons without knowing anything and accidentally doing some classy moves was just too fun. All my quarters were gone, but I was happy.

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
The first game I can remember playing with any clarity from when I was younger was the original worms and Gran Turismo so them I guess.

Aerevolt

Jan 11, 2011
This is a really tough one. Growing up, we had an Atari (which I have no memory of ever playing) and original Nintendo. We were also the first people on our street to have a "personal computer". My earliest game memories, are a pc game with tanks, where you shoot red polygons(which was totally awesome!) and Mario. I could play either for hours on end. When Simpsonmaia hit, it got my family hard, so my mom bought us "Bart vs. The Space Mutants". I would have to say, this is still one of my all-time favorite games.

In Conclusion, an unsupervised childhood and early access to games hooked me for life. Start 'em young!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Sassafrass said:
Racecarlock said:

That game right there. I didn't get to drive when I was young, in fact I still don't have my license, but that game let me drive for 25 cents. And it let me drive fast. After that I discovered games like Raiden and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade.

Yep, I'm a driving gamer. Probably rare on this site, but whatever.
Chalk up Cruis'n USA for me to, except I had it on the N64. That, Banjo-Kazooie and Fifa 64 kept me occupied for ages when I was a young'un. Then Tomb Raider and FF VII hooked me and the rest is history.

Happy, video game filled history.
I too had cruisn' USA and banjo kazooie on the n64. The only one I didn't have was fifa 64. I had 2 of those, uh, "Handegg" games as you call it. NFL Quarterback Club 98 and Madden 2000.

Zykmiester

Jun 22, 2010
While I can't pinpoint one exact game, the games that impacted me the most were
- Doom
- Halo
- Silent Hill 2
- Ratchet and Clank
- Medal of Honor: Frontline
- Morrowind
- Spyro
- Crash Bandiccot

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
Like a few others here, I can't really remember a time in my life where games weren't there, but there was definitely a selection that really ignited the sparks.

TimeSplitters (1,2 and 3) were also games that I must have invested a large part of my childhood into, alongside my brothers once again to go to the Mapmaker section and create silly maps to play against each other in. To this day, I truly believe those experiences are what cause me get really competitive when playing games with friends now. Granted, I am usually worse than they are, but still.

Final Fantasy 9. My favourite game. Ever. My Dad bought it for me when I was around 7 or 8 years old and I was immediately drawn in. The character designs; the monster designs; the deep, interesting world that felt so much like it could be a real place; its wonderful story and absolutely beautiful music that just captured my imagination.

Randoman01

Apr 19, 2013
I also really enjoy the original Red Alert games as well. I feel like I enjoyed that game as well. Who else had this game as one of the first games they have played?

Willzors

Aug 19, 2014
I'd have to say Sonic, Pokemon, Doom and Crash bandicoot were all early games that sucked me in.